Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL W vs Collingwood practice match Feb 19 2019

From the Bulldogs website:
    http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...gainst-magpies

The Western Bulldogs AFLW side showed impressive signs ahead of the 2019 AFLW season, defeating Collingwood by seven points in a practice match at Mars Stadium in Ballarat on Saturday.

In a competitive hit-out just two weeks before the start of the season proper, the Dogs led at every change and held on in the final stages.

With multiple new players making their first appearance in the red, white and blue, midfielder Ellyse Gamble said the win will settle the nerves for the side’s less experienced players leading into Round 1.

“Leading into the season it’s always nice to have a hit-out to see how we’re going,” Gamble told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I thought (the new recruits) did really well out there, they’ve just jumped on what we were able to create last year and adapted to the game plan really well.”

“Everyone put their best foot forward out there and did what they had to do.”

The Bulldogs took control early, taking a five-point lead into quarter time through a Katie Brennan goal, while keeping the Magpies goalless.

Co-captain Ellie Blackburn was influential early – before being resting for the second half - booting a much-needed goal during the second term to keep the Dogs ahead at the main break.

An early Kirsten McLeod goal at the start of the third quarter saw the Dogs hold onto a six-point lead at the final change.

A goal from Bailey Hunt from outside 50 saw the Bulldogs extend their lead to 12 points during the final term, before Collingwood booted two-in-a-row to reduce the margin to one point.

A crucial goal from Gamble in the dying minutes sealed the win.

MATCH DETAILS

Western Bulldogs: 1.1 2.4 3.4 5.5 (35)
    Collingwood: 0.2 1.2 2.4 4.4 (28)

Goals: K. Brennan, E.Blackburn, K.McLeod, B. Hunt, E. Gamble
    Best: E. Blackburn, K. Brennan, T.Ernst, H. Scott, D.Berry
    Injuries: B. Lochland (ankle)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

Players who didn't play were Isabel 4 Huntington and 8 Monique Conti,

A lovely warm day in Melbourne but there was a very cool breeze in Ballarat that it was jumper wearing time for many. The wind didn't seem to favour either end, rather it blew across the ground.

Katie Brennan and Ella Blackburn played well in the first half. Brennan once kicked very cleverly to open space in the second and then ran onto the ball. Lauren Spark was very busy early and turned back many Collingwood attacks, then Libby Birch and Bonnie Toogood became influential in the defense.

Brooke Lochland started on the wing and was in a lot of the play. In the second quarter, on the forward pocket boundary line Lochland was tackled front-on and went to ground sustaining a leg injury. It is thought to be an ankle injury. She went off the ground and never returned. Saw her after the match on crutches. The Bulldogs were winning the forward and the defense battles and our tall rucks were getting a lot of the hit-outs.

At half time Brennan and Blackburn changed into their club street clothes and did not play in the second half. Others say that Toogood also went off at half time.

Those who were left on the ground stepped up magnificently to fill the gap left by their talented teammates. 5 Tessa Boyd looked raw but very promising doing some very nice work, she will be a very good player. 12 Belinda Smith turned on impressive bouts of very pacey running. The backline continued to hold. We continued with a lot of accurate short passes with some long passes also.

One of our girls kicked a goal from outside 50, wow that was great. A few AFL men couldn't have done that. Collingwood's number 41 was good for them. They never stopped trying, but they were just not as good as us.

I think that the best on the ground was Libby Birch who was reliable and sure in the backline all match. Utri was also good as were some others but I don't recognize all of the women yet. Our rucks were good.

After the game the team stayed on the ground for a long time. Were there not enough showers?
    Last edited by BulldogBelle; 20-01-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: second half - first half

2. Thanks GVGjr, josie, Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WAFL vs Collingwood practice match Feb 19 2019

Thanks fot the report JC, I've moved it to the AFLW board
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Brooke's ankle is not too bad
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hopefully Brooke's ankle is not too bad
    Fractured fibula unfortunately.

I don't understand the thread title - WAFL? Feb?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should be AFL W. I will fit it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL W vs Collingwood practice match Feb 19 2019

Loclhland injury is a real blow. Bad news.

Post Thanks / Like

The only trouble for the women is 3 to 6 week injury is the season.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    The only trouble for the women is 3 to 6 week injury is the season.
    They are saying 6-8 weeks which gives her a chance to get back at the end of the season (final home and away game is 17th March).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think it should be AFL W. I will fit it

Fix it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite