Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Test - Australia v Sri Lanka, Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't like this. We bowled well but fielded poorly and that usually means we will bat poorly. I really hope that I am wrong but I can see us getting shot out here.
    I had a cricket coach who often used to mention that teams normally bat in line with the way they field.

It's going to be a challenge to have so many young and inexperienced players but I'm hoping a couple of them at least put in a big score.

It's a great opportunity to make a name for themselves.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I had a cricket coach who often used to mention that teams normally bat in line with the way they field.

It's going to be a challenge to have so many young and inexperienced players but I'm hoping a couple of them at least put in a big score.

It's a great opportunity to make a name for themselves.
    I've always thought there was a correlation between the way that you field and the way you bat.

I thought that Burns looked set to make a decent score.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately it's somewhat typical of Burns to get out when he's starting to look settled.

Harris fought hard and through a challenging period and the timing of Khawaja dismissal wasn't ideal.

We will see if an inexperienced batting line-up can consolidate today and build a big score.
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Impressed with Richardson
    I think wade should be in the side, and Usman has been a massive disappointment
    Seen Burns go like that a few times now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've always thought there was a correlation between the way that you field and the way you bat.

I thought that Burns looked set to make a decent score.
    He’s not learning from previous mistakes
    Skull picked up a bad habit last night in that he’s body doesn’t move towards the ball and puts his hands out
    He’s a walking wicket in the slips !

Post Thanks / Like

For *!*!*!*! sake Harris. Any chance you can go on after making a start? Any chance at all? Seriously, any chance?
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

Harris is not yet the answer at this level. Almost all of his dismissals at this level have been due to poor judgement and lack of application. He just finds ways of getting out in soft ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Harris is not yet the answer at this level. Almost all of his dismissals at this level have been due to poor judgement and lack of application. He just finds ways of getting out in soft ways.
    And at state level.

Post Thanks / Like

The stupid shots Harris and Head often play to get out are frustrating but surely it is easier to fix than a lack to talent.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope these two go on with it and get big scores. If we bat out the day we will have a strong lead

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see Labuschagne post a score over 50, hopefully he will go on with it.
    Travis Head also needs to post a big score.

Post Thanks / Like

Head gets knocked over in the 80s and once again despite starts another Australian batsman hasn't taken the opportunity to make a big score. We really needed a score closer to 180 than 80 from either Head or Labuschagne today.

Oh Tim.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

While it's a young an inexperienced team we are still plagued by losing wickets late in sessions and not having batsman who are set going on with it and posting big scores.

Having said that todays inning by Labuschagne might be the turning point in his career. Head should have done better and Paine received an excellent delivery first up.

Patterson has looked solid but needs to start to dominate the strike and score some runs.

It's a frustrating time watching our boys play.

Post Thanks / Like

Pat Cummins must take the new ball from now on. Starc is struggling.

What a last ball - brilliant
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While it's a young an inexperienced team we are still plagued by losing wickets late in sessions and not having batsman who are set going on with it and posting big scores.

Having said that todays inning by Labuschagne might be the turning point in his career. Head should have done better and Paine received an excellent delivery first up.

Patterson has looked solid but needs to start to dominate the strike and score some runs.

It's a frustrating time watching our boys play.
    It is frustrating to watch. There are so many batsman who whilst they show some talent, have significant flaws that don't allow them to present as fully fledged test-ready cricketers.
    From Harris and Head who have a penchant for throwing their wicket away when they are set.
    Head looks a test cricketer...but averages mid 30's in 1st class, and has an atrocious conversion rate.
    Harris, just always seems to lay a foundation and then play an irresponsible shot.
    Khawaja - just never looks fully set and always a chance to lose his wicket, and notwithstanding the screamer he took in the 1st test against India, is a poor fielder. I think he's got to make way for Pucovski next test.

Labuchagne, played well but he averages mid 30's at 1st class cricket, and he really threw his wicket away today with a poor shot against an average bowler. He does look a fighter and he's a great fielder.

Patterson, too early to fully judge, but seems to have application, but as you point out Gary, he needs to find more scoring opportunities. Not necessarily boundaries, but turning more dots into 1's.