Post Thanks / Like

Josh Dunkley - A power Mid in 2019

Picture link here

Height 190 cm

DOB 09-01-1997

Weight 88 kg

Debut 2016

Games - Career 25

Josh played in a Grand Final at the tender age of 19 years old and he has improved every year. Last year due to many team injuries he was thrown into the midfield and showed us he can become a beast.

I can see a big year for Josh and I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops this year.

Not blessed with speed, but can do the grunt work along with Libba/Wallis and free up The Bont. Needs to improve his set shot goal kicking. His aim should be best 22 and midfield beast with the occasional stint resting in the forward line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Dunkley - A power Mid in 2019

Dunks should be aiming to be one of our best five players. Like you,looking forward to seeing him impacts games through the midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked him in the forward line at the start of the year. He is good overhead and knows how to find the pill. If he gets better at the simple things - kicking and running - he has the base footy brain and work rate to be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many players, Josh needs to learn to kick through the ball when shooting for goal. Have noticed on many occasions that he tries to bends his knee and lifts the ball just over the line to try and steer it through, when having a deliberate shot. On the run he will kick it with a much better if somewhat awkward style (but not as awkward as his dad's kicking style), Classic example in third quarter of elimination final against WCE. He marked the ball at CHF, hesitates about the set shot, decides to play on and kicks truly from . Against Giants I think it was, he misses set shot from 25 metres out with a kick that barely got over the line.
    Its a pity that this is inverse distance negativity trait affects so many players - club psych should be eradicating this negative head talk -all professional footballers should be able to take a positive approach into kicking at goals whatever the distance from goal.
    If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

5. Thanks GVGjr, Insufficient Intent thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the players should try and kick it out of the stadium.

And not deprive all the kids out side the stadium getting a free footy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

7. Likes josie, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of the day at the Western Oval, when Ron Barassi spat the dummy over an umpiring mistake, grabbed the footy and kicked it over the grandstand (or it may have been into the grandstand). Would have been the biggest kick of his career.
    If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please, really looking forward to him in midfield this year smashing players alongside Libba

Post Thanks / Like

By all accounts he finished last season well in the guts and then did that US pre-season training thing with Bont.

I'm expecting a huge season from him, starting with smashing Kennedy, Heeney and the rest of the Swans mids.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    All the players should try and kick it out of the stadium.

And not deprive all the kids out side the stadium getting a free footy.
    Are there any stadiums left where you can still realistically kick it out of the stadium?

Off the top of my head I can think of Spotless, Adelaide Oval and Mars Stadium as the only ones in regular use.

Agree with the sentiment, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunks, Lib, Wally, gonna be so good watching them all dominate the mid.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Dunks, Lib, Wally, gonna be so good watching them all dominate the mid.
    I was really interested to see Wally at times has been elite according to champion data, and is consistently “above average” even when his form has appeared to slump. I’d love to see him move into a permanent (no such thing w Bevo) forward role. I’d love to see us doing something similar with him as ge Giants with Toby Green. Different players but what Wally lacks in leg speed and outside class he makes up for in pressure around the ball and an intense competitiveness that sees him rarely beaten in 1 on 1’s

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing Dunkley & Libba work together - though how many 'inside' mids is the right mix?

Assuming Wallis plays forward if selected - pretty sure he won't share midfield time with Dunkley & Lib.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Looking forward to seeing Dunkley & Libba work together - though how many 'inside' mids is the right mix?

Assuming Wallis plays forward if selected - pretty sure he won't share midfield time with Dunkley & Lib.
    Dunks seem set to be paired with Bonti - Bont's contested numbers fell last year as Dunkley went into the middle more and that coincided with our best football for the year.

I suspect Dunkley plays the same sort of role he finished the year with. Our game from the end of last year is how we seem set to move forward after Bevo tried all sorts of combos last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

For mine Dunkley has the size and strength to play a similar role that Kennedy plays at Sydney. He has obviously been working on his power and strength in the off season. His quads are well developed (hopefully) allowing him to provide quick acceleration off the mark and his upper body strength will provide the opportunity to break a tackle and release effective handballs to our running type players.

I am really looking forward to Josh's progression in this area and believe he will have a breakout year and take his game to a new level.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    For mine Dunkley has the size and strength to play a similar role that Kennedy plays at Sydney. He has obviously been working on his power and strength in the off season. His quads are well developed (hopefully) allowing him to provide quick acceleration off the mark and his upper body strength will provide the opportunity to break a tackle and release effective handballs to our running type players.

I am really looking forward to Josh's progression in this area and believe he will have a breakout year and take his game to a new level.
    It's a really good comparison, take a look at their stats both at age 22:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...id2=A&fopt2=22

You would say that Dunkley is tracking pretty well on all counts, and has had some challenges with his body over the journey that may have hampered his development a touch.

I've stated here that I think Dunkley is a freak. With a bit more poise with his set shots he'll become more prolific with his scoring, and midfielders who hit the scoreboard regularly are worth their weight in gold.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Thanks whythelongface thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post