Likes Likes:  43
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Dunkley - A power Mid in 2019

Fantastic tackling highlight reel - highlights what a super game he played

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Did you hear Bevo’s 45 second justification on why it took the MC so long to move him into the midfield.
    No, can you summarise?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    HTBs = Holding the Balls in this case Twodogs
    You're right, I looked at it and didn't notice the 'T' in the middle.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Did you hear Bevo’s 45 second justification on why it took the MC so long to move him into the midfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    No, can you summarise?
    Watch here from the three minute mark:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...onference-rd17

Basically said we needed him forward and then needed him in the midfield. The former lacks tall depth at times and given he's a good aerialist and pretty good forward he can help, but as the season progressed the latter wasn't delivering and it was decided to increase his time there in the first instance to improve that area of the ground and in the second cover some losses in Wallis and now Liberatore.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Thanks Mofra, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Watch here from the three minute mark:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...onference-rd17

Basically said we needed him forward and then needed him in the midfield. The former lacks tall depth at times and given he's a good aerialist and pretty good forward he can help, but as the season progressed the latter wasn't delivering and it was decided to increase his time there in the first instance to improve that area of the ground and in the second cover some losses in Wallis and now Liberatore.
    Bevo can try to justify it any way he likes. It was a poor decision then, and it only looks worse in hindsight given Dunks' form over the past 2 months.

We had Billy Gowers in the centre in lieu of Dunkley on multiple occasions, ffs. It was a joke.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Mofra, bulldogtragic, Testekill, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bevo can try to justify it any way he likes. It was a poor decision then, and it only looks worse in hindsight given Dunks' form over the past 2 months.

We had Billy Gowers in the centre in lieu of Dunkley on multiple occasions, ffs. It was a joke.
    Yeah in hindsight this one didn't look good at all, however, I don't mind a coach who likes to try new things in order to win games and get the best of out players. Sometimes they work (Lippa), sometimes they don't. In any case, Dunkley is becoming a beast in the midfield and it is great to watch.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Testekill, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

God that highlight real is good to watch!!

His tackle craft is outstanding the way he tools through the hips coming down to avoid landing in the back and his strength to hold on and not be shrugged off.

That tackle on Brayshaw was the highlight of the game for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah in hindsight this one didn't look good at all, however, I don't mind a coach who likes to try new things in order to win games and get the best of out players. Sometimes they work (Lippa), sometimes they don't. In any case, Dunkley is becoming a beast in the midfield and it is great to watch.
    Is it really a 'hindsight' moment? I think most were saying early on in the season it wasn't working. Easton Wood was given just two JLT games as a forward before it was recognised it wasn't working.

I don't blame Bevo for trying it but did he really not see it wasn't working or did he just dig in his heels?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is it really a 'hindsight' moment? I think most were saying early on in the season it wasn't working. Easton Wood was given just two JLT games as a forward before it was recognised it wasn't working.

I don't blame Bevo for trying it but did he really not see it wasn't working or did he just dig in his heels?
    I have no problem with the coach trying new things in order to win games. When they don't work, he changes it up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In this instance he had plenty of exposed form to draw from though as Dunkley had played predominantly forward and predominantly centre in previous years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley's back half of last year was incredible too - guess where he was playing then.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the coach trying new things in order to win games. When they don't work, he changes it up.
    He stuck with it a lot longer than he should have and by the way, you called the Easton Wood move back to defence after just one JLT week
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how his games have tracked:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...--josh-dunkley

I think the biggest issue was that he wasn't playing as effectively forward as we know he had the potential to, so this actually compounded the issue. He was playing 50-50 or so according to the coach, he's probably now at 75-25 or something like that, so the upsurge probably has as much to do with form than it does anything else, but that's hard to tell.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Dunkley's back half of last year was incredible too - guess where he was playing then.
    Yes. Last season, he went from being out of the team, to coming back in and being a key cog in the midfield, so it was perplexing that he wasn't in there from the start of this season while others jumped the queue. His back half of the year in the midfield was so good that he came from nowhere at half way - to running 5th in the B&F - so it wasn't like the MC didn't think he performed well there.

20. Likes Mofra, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comments from Andrew Dunkley on the AFL page:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...1d6d895a8826c9

He has nothing to do with the Swans anymore and feels abandoned by Paul Roos.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

22. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post