Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Dunkley - A power Mid in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    How so? Those stats say his kicking so far this year is above the league average after 3 seasons below average. His kicking inside 50 is particularly good.

He's still no Bont but his field kicking seems to have improved. His goal kicking on the other hand...
    The stats show his kicking inside 50 is far better than his field kicking, just like Smith. There is a marginal increase in midfield field kicking this year (albeit from a small sample). Also note a long kick down the line is considered an effective kick as long as it isn't marked by an opposition player, despite being perhaps the easiest kick in football to execute.

Clay kicked 8 goals 1 behind in the 2016 finals series (and was a contested warrior).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The stats show his kicking inside 50 is far better than his field kicking, just like Smith. There is a marginal increase in midfield field kicking this year (albeit from a small sample). Also note a long kick down the line is considered an effective kick as long as it isn't marked by an opposition player, despite being perhaps the easiest kick in football to execute.

Clay kicked 8 goals 1 behind in the 2016 finals series (and was a contested warrior).
    Is kicking inside 50 for that stat kicks whilst he is inside 50, or kicking from outside 50 into the forward 50? Either way they are the most difficult kicks to execute in the game and he seems to be performing well there.

Clay was always a good kick for goal, Dunkley never has been and probably never will be.

Post Thanks / Like

As a mid, Dunks is way ahead of Clay.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's the new Clay Smith for kicking based on those stats. Terrible action, questionable field kick (still), but ok forward.
    I would've thought he's the opposite to Clay based on those stast. Dunkley is a pretty decent field kick (particularly this season) but a poor kick at goal. While Clay was a pretty ordinary field kick and an excellent kick for goal.

Both have wonky actions with bad ball drops but Dunkley seems to be able to get ball to foot pretty reasonably in open play and be effective enough, his goal kicking is just rubbish. Clay's problem was he was right handed and left footed, so getting the ball to foot in open play was always a problem, but when he had time and composure from a set shot was very accurate.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Were Clay's kicking problems anything to do with his knee injurys? I cant imagine they would have helped
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Were Clay's problems anything to do with his knee injurys?
    No, he hadn't done a knee until his second season at the club. His kicking has always been wonky.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    No, he hadn't done a knee until his second season at the club. His kicking has always been wonky.
    Cheers 'stache.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Were Clay's kicking problems anything to do with his knee injurys? I cant imagine they would have helped
    I remember a conversation someone had with B-Mac about Clay.

"Gee I wish he could kick"
    BM: "I don't, then we wouldn't have gotten him at pick 17"

His disposal was his one weak point. Sadly, he was also seen as extremely durable as a junior.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the evidence is there from last year and this that Dunks performances are mirroring the teams. When Dunks has a blinder in the middle, we also do well.

I'm glad to see that Bevo has now realized this, perhaps they can now figure out why McLean has been inconsistent this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I'm glad to see that Bevo has now realized this, perhaps they can now figure out why McLean has been inconsistent this year.
    McLean hasn't been getting as much time on ball so is getting less of the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley's form improvement just happens to coincide with him spending more time in the last 2 weeks in his best position. Hopefully Bevo resists the urge to leave him more forward than in the midfield.
    I really want to see how he performs against Geelong this Saturday
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Over the last couple of weeks he has taken on that extractor role from Libba. I didn’t think they’d play in the center at the same time but it works with some elite polish as the second touch - Macrae or Bont

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Over the last couple of weeks he has taken on that extractor role from Libba. I didn’t think they’d play in the center at the same time but it works with some elite polish as the second touch - Macrae or Bont
    Not sure if it’s a coincidence but Libba/Dunkley seem to be our barometer. Libba was on fire early in the season and we played well. As his form curtailed, so did ours. Dunkley’s increased midfield time at the expense of Libba’s has seen him play 2 blinders and our form seemingly return.

Post Thanks / Like

Players to have had 40+ disp, 10+ tackles and 1+ goals in a V/@AFL game

Bryce Gibbs
    Tom Mitchell
    Lachie Neale
    Tom Rockliff (x3)
    Joel Selwood (x2)
    Jack Steven
    JOSH DUNKLEY
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks The bulldog tragician, Max469, josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's doing well to hold off signing the contract he's been offered. His manager will be asking for more money or an extra year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023