Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Dunkley - A power Mid in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    By all accounts he finished last season well in the guts and then did that US pre-season training thing with Bont.
    As a midfielder he averaged 29 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven tackles and five marks per game from Round 15 onwards last season.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    As a midfielder he averaged 29 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven tackles and five marks per game from Round 15 onwards last season.
    Pretty impressive. Those averages taken as a whole over those categories must be close to elite.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Pretty impressive. Those averages taken as a whole over those categories must be close to elite.
    They are when you compare those stats with players such as Kennedy, Pendlebury, Martin, Wines, Fyfe and many more who are rated as elite.

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Damn thats good. Did he play in the middle before round 15? Remember him starting the year in the forward line...
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Fox Footy article on which players will become elite (read here)

WESTERN BULLDOGS — Josh Dunkley

Did you know that, according to Champion Data, Dunkley’s average disposal increase last year (+9.6) was the biggest of any player in the AFL? His final two months of the 2018 season was incredible, averaging 28.8 disposals, 11 contested possessions, 4.1 clearances, 6.7 tackles and 115.8 ranking points from his final nine games. Put those numbers up consistently for the whole of 2019 and he’ll be an elite player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to take the mantle

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Starting to take the mantle
    71 disposals in the last 2 weeks...what a difference it makes when the coach plays him in his best position. He’s been immense last 2 weeks in particular.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

10. Likes WBFC4FFC, Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been critical of him-including asking should we trade him. I still think his goal kicking is poor, however he is turning into a midfield asset. Very Kennedy like so here’s hoping his career is that good. Loved his crucial tackle yesterday near our goal that led to his goal. Agree he was good for all 4 quarters too. Plus he is v good friends with Bonti, so hope Power re-signs him soon.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the bloodlines.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was playing a gig recently and was speaking to a couple of blokes from Gippsland who knew the Dunkley's, and told me that Dunkley's little brother, (I presume it's Kyle, unless there's more of them) was DEFINITELY coming to the dogs. I know the system doesn't work like that but they were adamant he told all the other clubs he WOULDN'T go there if they picked him. I know this all sounds crazy but they were damn certain. Weren't dog supporters either.

Anyway.......just thought I'd dump that here.

14. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog, hujsh, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I was playing a gig recently and was speaking to a couple of blokes from Gippsland who knew the Dunkley's, and told me that Dunkley's little brother, (I presume it's Kyle, unless there's more of them) was DEFINITELY coming to the dogs. I know the system doesn't work like that but they were adamant he told all the other clubs he WOULDN'T go there if they picked him. I know this all sounds crazy but they were damn certain. Weren't dog supporters either.

Anyway.......just thought I'd dump that here.
    Interesting... given media commentary has been a few clubs very interested in him in the mid season draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Dog's midfield switch delivers video-game numbers

JOSH Dunkley, the midfielder, returned with a vengeance in the past fortnight.

Video-game numbers of 35.5 disposals (18.5 contested), eight clearances, eight tackles, eight score involvements and five inside 50s make for a stunning return for the Western Bulldogs.

The 22-year-old was a distant sixth at the club for centre attendances this year in the first six rounds, but superstar Marcus Bontempelli is the sole Dog with more in the ensuing games (33-32).

Fifteen AFL Players' Association votes in the same span further highlights Dunkley's top-notch contribution.

The numbers are reminiscent of what he produced in the final nine rounds last season, when coach Luke Beveridge unleashed him as an onballer.

Dunkley spent a month out of the side after round nine, had a 15-possession 'sighter' in his senior return, then went on a rampage until the end of the season in averaging 28.8 disposals.

That withering finish seemed to have him primed for a monster 2019 campaign, but it's not that simple at the Kennel.

Beveridge boasts one of the AFL's deepest midfield units, including Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis, Toby McLean and, of course, Dunkley.

Top-10 draftee Bailey Smith has added to that rotation this season, too.

In particular, Liberatore's return from a knee reconstruction and strong early-season form complicated the situation for Dunkley, because there are only so many minutes to go around.

It meant Dunkley was shuffled back to mostly forward duties, where his knack for finding the Sherrin was still apparent – but his goalkicking inaccuracy feeds the Dogs' club-wide issue.

JOSH DUNKLEY'S PLAYING POSITIONS

YEAR ROUNDS MIDFIELD FORWARD
    2018 1-9 25% 72%
    2018 14-23 75% 24%
    2019 1-6 40% 60%
    2019 7-8 68.5% 31.5%

McLean, Saint Blake Acres, Geelong's Gary Ablett and Giant Matt de Boer join Dunkley as the only footballers with close to a 50-50 split of forward and midfield time since the start of last year.

Dunkley ranks second League-wide for possessions and tackles per 100 minutes in attack this season, first for clearances and fourth for groundball-gets.

However, Dunkley's career shot-at-goal accuracy is just 34.5 per cent, which is only marginally better at 36.4 per cent in 2019.

The Gippsland Power product's kicking in general was questioned ahead of the 2015 draft and was a black mark in his early seasons in the AFL, but this is another area he has dramatically improved.
    Champion Data's kick rating, which factors in the difficulty of each attempt, sums up Dunkley's development.
    A positive result means the player is successfully executing their kicks more often than an average footballer is expected to – and vice versa.

JOSH DUNKLEY'S KICK RATING*

YEAR ALL KICKS KICKS INSIDE 50
    2016 -8.4% -6.1%
    2017 -8.9% -13.4%
    2018 -3.9% -4.5%
    2019 +3.4% +12.7%

Dunkley's per-100 minutes statistics as a midfielder are also eye-popping.

He is eighth in the competition for disposals, second for contested possessions, intercept possessions and intercept marks (behind Nat Fyfe) and fourth for groundball-gets.

Over to you, Bevo.

17. Thanks Smads57, bulldogtragic, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's the new Clay Smith for kicking based on those stats. Terrible action, questionable field kick (still), but ok forward.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's the new Clay Smith for kicking based on those stats. Terrible action, questionable field kick (still), but ok forward.
    He just needs to keep it simple and give himself 2 options. If he's in the clear, or has taken a mark, only hit up free targets within 20 metres. Otherwise, just smash it long for territory.

Nothing fancy, nothing precise, play within his limits, and he'll have a long and illustrious career.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    How so? Those stats say his kicking so far this year is above the league average after 3 seasons below average. His kicking inside 50 is particularly good.

He's still no Bont but his field kicking seems to have improved. His goal kicking on the other hand...