Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  31
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW Match Day Thread for 2019

couple of late goals and freo win by 18. Much better showing this week but finals chance is gone.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    couple of late goals and freo win by 18. Much better showing this week but finals chance is gone.
    Backing up from flags is proving difficult for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Backing up from flags is proving difficult for us
    Indeed.

Pretty frustrated with the coaching to be honest, and also with some of the leadership from key players.

The short-kicking game-plan drives me a bit crazy. There's a time and place for it, and when teams sag back like we do much of the time, then it can work nicely, but the stupidly small ball is harder to kick accurately, and we look so much better when we're able to run and carry.

That said, when the ball's in tight, our players need to just handpass it to someone (preferably in better position!) - Blackburn, Brennan, Berry, and Conti* have been caught far too often when they could've given the ball to someone better placed. Conti's the best of these at getting free, so I'm happy with her having a bit more license, but she still got caught a bit too much for mine.

I think it's been said before, but this season we've struggled to spread well, struggled with other teams spread, and had a strange forward set-up where we've consistently been out-numbered. I actually liked playing Brennan as a mobile CHF, because she's been playing from behind too much as a FF for mine.

And both Huntington and Lochland gave a glimpse of what they could have offered for a full season...

I actually quite like our list and the depth of young players that we've got, but it's been a frustrating season. If it was at least a longer season of semi-reasonable length, we'd have had the chance of working through this poor patch, but the loss to North seemed to really knock us about a bit, and we just couldn't quite get over the line today.

The less said about the crap umpiring the better (although unfortunately even I have to concede that it wasn't quite the difference today).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

5. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    I actually liked playing Brennan as a mobile CHF, because she's been playing from behind too much as a FF for mine.

I asked Paul the other week where he thought KB's best spot was and he said deep forward. I was going to contradict him and like you thought she is better at CHF - but what would I know and didn't say anything.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit disappointing last night, it just goes to show if they could have score anything in that first quarter the result could have been different.
    Credit to Melbourne they played very well and have some good players. If they loose Paxman to the new clubs they will find themselves in the same position as us loosing chilli con carni.
    I thought Utri was the one that got us going in the second she was everywhere. I also like the look of McCarthy and should only get better as she gets more game time under belt.
    Conti also had a great game and racked up possessions with Blackburn but I think we need to find a foil for Ellie as if she gets sat on we struggle in the middle. Gogos tries hard but her disposal is a bit hit and miss and Lamb has size but lacks pace.
    I hope we can keep our better players this time round and recruit someone for the middle.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bartlett to debut in Pride Game

Kate Bartlett will become the sixth player to debut for the Bulldogs’ AFLW team when she takes the field on Sunday against Carlton in Round 7.

The Bulldogs take on the Blues in the Pride Game at VU Whitten Oval this Sunday - the final home and away game for the 2019 season.

Bartlett follows in the footsteps of Eleanor Brown, Celine Moody, Aisling McCarthy and Selena Karlson to make her AFLW debut this season.

Belinda Smith, who crossed from Fremantle in the off-season, also pulled on the tri-colours for the first time in 2019.

The 19-year-old was recruited from Peel Thunderbirds in Western Australia as the Bulldogs' third selection (pick 26 overall) in the 2018 NAB AFL Women's Draft.

She was one of the best-performed forwards in the NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships last year.

Bartlett has been named in the forward line for Sunday’s match, and is joined in the extended squad by defender Bailey Hunt.

The final 21 will be named at 4pm on Friday afternoon.

The Bulldogs went down by a solitary point last week against Melbourne at Marvel Stadium and are looking to snap a four-game losing streak.

The Pride Game will recognise and support the LBGTIQ community by celebrating inclusiveness, gender diversity, and welcoming all people, no matter their sexual orientation.

LINK

11. Thanks Raw Toast, Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After a goal less 3 quarters the dogs kicked 5 in the last only to lose by 3 points.

Hopefully we don't lose as many players as we did this year to new clubs, it has really hurt us.

We went to the draft this year and picked up some good young players which should put us in a good position for years to come.

If we can pickup another good mid for next year, should make a big difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracking final quarter, but the less said about the first 3 the better.

We've got some fantastic young players - Conti was thrilling to watch today, but I continue to really like Utri and McCarthey amongst others, and our ball delivery didn't suit Huntington but she was great last week. Really hoping that we don't get pillaged again.

But also pretty concerned with our coaching. Seems like opponents worked out our game plan from the 3rd game onwards, and we had no answers. We were smashed structurally today again. I know we won the flag last year, but my feeling then was that a lot of it was the coach getting out of the way of the team, and he seems like he's been unable to do that this year...

Post Thanks / Like

For those who haven't been able to get along, the games at the Whitten Oval have a fantastic atmosphere.

Up with the best live sport attendance I've ever had.

Post Thanks / Like

Great atmosphere again - as mentioned by Raw Toast. We seemed to kick blindly a lot whereas blues and other teams that beat us seemed to have better positioning and someone to hand pass too. We sometimes seem to have too many jump on the ball and no-one to receive handpass in the clear. Also need another 1 or 2 speedsters. Wish we could clone Ellie Blackburn-what a star she is.

Here’s hoping we are not pillaged again. Last quarter was gripping though and love dogettes tenacity to never give up. In order of who I think we just have to keep is (without analysing too deeply): Brennan, Blackburn, Conti, Lochland, Huntington, Spark, Lamb, Scott, Toogood.Shout out to Utri too-she has got better each season and despite the odd clanger is starting to do a few nice team things.

Wish the Dogs and AFL would ask for gold coin donation that could either help AFLW or go to a worthy cause. I think they would raise a bit!! Kudos to Club for well organised games at WO - great to see the big crowds and loved the rainbow guernesys worn by both teams (ours looked better though!).

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a bit disappointed today as I missed viewing the girls for 4 quarters.

The streaming through my TV was playing up and wasn't working which I then had to use a tablet on wireless which kept on buffering.

So after 2 and a half quarters I gave up. looks like I missed the best part.

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    In order of who I think we just have to keep is (without analysing too deeply): Brennan, Blackburn, Conti, Lochland, Huntington, Spark, Lamb, Scott, Toogood.Shout out to Utri too-she has got better each season and despite the odd clanger is starting to do a few nice team things
    Lochland struggled coming back into the side after injury and didn't have the impact she did last year, hopefully next year with a clean run at it she will be better

Lamb is very limited, slow and poor kick, struggled to fill the gap left by Kearney

Toogood was in and out of the side, and moved between back and forward - not a must keep with Brennan, Huntington & Lochland in the side

We struggled in a number of areas today - high marking, pace, contested ball - we're a few stars away from returning to the top
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff