Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  62

View Poll Results: What does WOOF mean to me?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I’m just waiting for the footy season to start and my contributions will increase

34 45.95%
  • I’m unlikely to contribute much to conversations

5 6.76%
  • I don’t have the passion to join in football discussions

0 0%
  • I just don’t have the time any more

5 6.76%
  • Twitter and Facebook suit me better

1 1.35%
  • I’d prefer to just read the thoughts and opinions of others

7 9.46%
  • Please don’t close the site, I’ll sorely miss my WOOF fix

57 77.03%
  • I’ll be coming out of my summer slumber and will be right back into it soon

17 22.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does WOOF mean to you survey

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If anyone is interested in assisting the site with some organisation of threads and a few other tasks would you be so kind as to send me a private message. Easty and Bulldogtragic do a lot of work behind the scenes especially during the season and it would be great if we could add a couple of more dedicated WOOF members to that.

Thanks
    That would be good. Someone could start the Always Right match committee threads each week as I currently do that one along with Bankers and Anchors and the game day and other round matches threads which I’m happy to continuing doing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I know Gary has queried my contribution rate before. It is less than most.

Time has become more of an issue with family and business but more to the point is the initiations of discussions by others early in the piece. The content and feedback on the forums are insightful, well-thought out and always carried out with respect. We are all emotional in following our team but this sight is great in-terms of dealing with the crux of the matter, refraining from slagging players, coaches, staff and fellow members without it being constructive.

Love the site and I do not want to even think about the hours dedicated by Gary and Co in running the site. A labour of love that I am sure we all truly appreciate but never get to say it enough. I'd love to be in a position to help but me even responding before the deadline for this thread took a lot of time and effort.

Hopefully WOOF can continue in some shape or form moving forward.

PS: Can't remember what my votes were officially on, as I ticked most and then save prior to reading your comment Gary, where you say to limit it to two.

3. Likes bornadog, Eastdog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far:

Inspired by a number of our quality members and a few encouraging private messages, we will keep the site running for another season no matter what. Hopefully it might also mean a few more years after that as well.

I've taken on some of the feedback so far (I'd like some more) and I can confirm we will start working with one of the technical guys to upgrade the software and we will also look at an app to make checking the site easier when people are on their mobile phones.
    There were a couple of other suggestions we can also work with.

We still had less than 70 votes in nearly 2 weeks since the thread was started so I'd certainly like to hear from anyone who's been undecided about casting their votes and please feel free to contact me via a private message if you prefer that. Some things we can potentially fix and improve and perhaps some we can't but I'd still rather know if there is anything we can do a bit differently that might improve the site.

Encouragingly there has also been a couple of offers to assist the site with some organisation activities.
    We've also got a couple of ideas we will be working on that might interest our current members and maybe some prospective ones.

Just remember though, the site is what you make of it. If we have a good participation rate then we might not only survive but thrive. If you have good ideas for a thread it helps the site immensely. Twodogs, the mods and myself need others to pitch in when they can and in the end we all benefit from it by having a more vibrant forum to visit.

Regards and Go Dogs,
    Gary
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Having said all that GVGjr, I think it is during the season when the real test comes in on whether the site is supported. It would be good to get contributions from everyone and not just the usual suspects.

I can understand off season, people are not going to contribute as much and we should expect that. I certainly don't as there is not a lot to discuss (in my opinion).

The AFLW forum is not getting much love and I suspect alot of woofers are not that interested in talking about it. Maybe we can get more women to participate???

Go dogs!!!
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the 'match preview' threads we used to share around. Each week someone would take a turn at previewing the match ahead.

I know I'd be able to make the time to write up one preview during the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Having said all that GVGjr, I think it is during the season when the real test comes in on whether the site is supported. It would be good to get contributions from everyone and not just the usual suspects.

I can understand off season, people are not going to contribute as much and we should expect that. I certainly don't as there is not a lot to discuss (in my opinion).

The AFLW forum is not getting much love and I suspect alot of woofers are not that interested in talking about it. Maybe we can get more women to participate???

Go dogs!!!
    It's funny...I didn't really have much to say about last week's game...it was just a dull game against what I thought was pretty poor opposition in (what appeared to be) terribly windy conditions...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Guilty of everything -- I always have WOOF open on my laptop but I must admit I haven't checked in much recently, partly because it's the off-season, which is why I only saw this post today.

I do rely on WOOF as my go-to for Bulldog and general footy information and I frequently regurgitate the intelligent opinions of others and pass them off as my own in family discussions! I am very shy about technical matters, STILL don't understand the rules and I guess my chief interest is on the cultural side (gee I miss Lantern), which is why I limit my posts to peripheral threads about mostly non-football matters. I just don't feel smart enough to contribute on actual football.

But WOOF has really educated me and I will be forever grateful, and it's been so wonderful to feel like a part of the community, especially during that magical month in 2016.

I'm so relieved the site will continue for at least another year, I'd really miss it if it disappeared.

9. Likes Doggy, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far:

Inspired by a number of our quality members and a few encouraging private messages, we will keep the site running for another season no matter what. Hopefully it might also mean a few more years after that as well.
    I know it's a time sink for you Gary, but is it also a financial sink? I don't post a lot but I read a lot and am more than happy to chip in some money if mitigating costs will make your life easier.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Being abroad and teaching I am afraid I have lapsed especially during the off season.
    But Woof has been a great highlight of my internet AFL experience. So many mainstream commentators gloss over us and it's here I get all my good info. I will try to post a bit more when I can ( with something of insight if I can get it! being out of Australia one misses a lot. Been away for Chinese New Year. But thanks so much to GVGjr, Tragic, Easty and others who put in the yards.

I think the club is in your debt guys for all the effort you put in. It's especially important for abroad / interstate fans.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned earlier in this thread but I wonder where Lantern is nowadays. I recall he was a good poster. W W Biscuit was another one who I see online very occasionally. He was a very passionate Doggies fan who grew up out close to Waverley.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I mentioned earlier in this thread but I wonder where Lantern is nowadays. I recall he was a good poster. W W Biscuit was another one who I see online very occasionally. He was a very passionate Doggies fan who grew up out close to Waverley.
    A few left around the end of the Rocket era/during the McCartney era and it's hard to blame them for losing interest/investment at that time. TCD is another that comes to mind

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Not the thread to be asking those questions Easty. As a general rule we shouldn't discuss or speculate on why people stop posting
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the thread to be asking those questions Easty. As a general rule we shouldn't discuss or speculate on why people stop posting
    Yeah totally right GVGjr. My mistake. Yeah people have their reasons so not fair to speculate. We cannot judge. GVGjr is a great moderator.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a great admirer of the people who drive WOOF. I think it is a great source of news, opinion and debate about our Club and football in general.
    I drop off a fair bit in the off season from the contribution side if things and I have not been logging in every day as I usually do. But when the season rolls around... !!!
    As for me, when we return to Indonesia WOOF is a vital link for me. It keeps me connected to the Dogs even though I'm not physically at games. I also have great admiration for the insight, knowledge, wit and passion displayed by so many contributors.
    This may have been suggested already but why not launch a WOOF recruiting campaign? I'm sure we all know people who would benefit from and enjoy being WOOF members.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

19. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im pretty sure WOOF got recongised in the Bulldog yearbook.