Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding the big sticks...

I was looking at some stats today and I was taking note of the Bulldogs scoring ability at slotting the majors.

Here's some tid bits for you.

These stats are from 1965-2018.

We have had 3 players to kick over 500 goals.
    Simon Beasley (575)
    Brad Johnson (558)
    Chris Grant (554)

One player in the 400 club Kelvin Templeton (494)

One in 300 club Daniel Giansiracusa (331)

Nine players made 200

Twenty eight players line up for 100.

Out of our current playing list only Tory Dickson (157) and Marcus Bontempelli (100) are our highest goal kickers with Mitch Wallis the next closest at (68).

So in 53 years of football it maybe safe to say we don't seem to find the that killer forward and I know with modern football century goal kickers will be far and few between but wouldn't be nice to have someone knock Simon of his perch.

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finding the big sticks...

It still astounds me to this day that a bloke who spent a sizeable chunk of his career at Centre Half Back managed to kick 550 goals over the course of his (albeit quite long) career.

How *!*!*!*!ing good was Chris Grant?

For context, its worth remembering that there are only 7 active players that have over 400 goals; Lance Franklin, Jack Riewoldt, Jarryd Roughead, Eddie Betts, Josh Kennedy, Tom Hawkins and Gary Ablett. Taylor Walker will more than likely join that group this year and Luke Bruest is a fair chance to as well, and Mark Lecras has retired in the 400s.

What I'm getting at is that those 'killer forwards' are getting rarer and rarer in the modern game.

For what its worth I had to do a double take when I saw that Luke Bruest and Jack Gunston were 10th and 11th on Hawthorn's all time goalkicking list. They're 28 and 27 respectively. If they can both get 4 30 goal seasons (which they are more than capable of) they'll both move past Dermot Brereton on Hawthorn's all time list. That's almighty company.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the 1000 club:
    1. Tony Lockett 1360 Avg. 4.84
    2. Gordon Coventry 1299 Avg. 4.25
    3. Jason Dunstall 1254 Avg. 4.66
    4. Doug Wade 1057 Avg. 3.96
    5. Gary Ablett snr 1031 Avg. 4.16

Post Thanks / Like

Skinny Titus with 970 as a small forward is a pretty fair effort.

BTW, Jack Collins kicked 385 goals and belongs in the 300 club. EJ kicked 321 too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Skinny Titus with 970 as a small forward is a pretty fair effort.

BTW, Jack Collins kicked 385 goals and belongs in the 300 club. EJ kicked 321 too.
    True but the stats were from 1965 on.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to have a time capsule for this thread.

Who on our current list will push 300 plus?

Bont for sure will be one
    Wallis maybe
    Fergus?
    Boyd?
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    We need to have a time capsule for this thread.

Who on our current list will push 300 plus?

Bont for sure will be one
    Wallis maybe
    Fergus?
    Boyd?
    Maybe if Gowers plays long enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It still astounds me to this day that a bloke who spent a sizeable chunk of his career at Centre Half Back managed to kick 550 goals over the course of his (albeit quite long) career.

How *!*!*!*!ing good was Chris Grant?.
    HOw many games did he play at CHB? I don't believe it was as many as people might think. When I think I Chris, I think of him as a forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I see him as a power mid in two more seasons
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

We can't seem to land the once in a generation full forward like other clubs can for some reason. Or is there more to it? Has it got to do with our development of these type of players. We do seem to have turned a once in a generation full forward who was the number one draft pick by the flemmington straight into a ruckman.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

How *!*!*!*!ing good was Chris Grant?

For context, its worth remembering that there are only 7 active players that have over 400 goals; Lance Franklin, Jack Riewoldt, Jarryd Roughead, Eddie Betts, Josh Kennedy, Tom Hawkins and Gary Ablett. Taylor Walker will more than likely join that group this year and Luke Bruest is a fair chance to as well, and Mark Lecras has retired in the 400s.

What I'm getting at is that those 'killer forwards' are getting rarer and rarer in the modern game.

For what its worth I had to do a double take when I saw that Luke Bruest and Jack Gunston were 10th and 11th on Hawthorn's all time goalkicking list. They're 28 and 27 respectively. If they can both get 4 30 goal seasons (which they are more than capable of) they'll both move past Dermot Brereton on Hawthorn's all time list. That's almighty company.
    I'm a little surprised that Johno was one golf cart from being the all time leading goal kicker as a small/medium forward. And one more season up front for Grant, or his knee/neck injuries, he'd be leading it.

I don't see Beaser, Johno & Grant losing their spots in our record books any time soon alas.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

For the first time in a long time I'm confident we have a KPF who can at least provide a target forward for the next decade (Schache).

I see Cordy as a backman but he can play the defensive forward role if need be and last year when he played forward he actually led the team for distance covered for that game.

Mobile mid-sizers tend to be in vogue though so our talls are likely to be Schache + resting ruck, with English thanking his lucky stars he's born in an era of the 'chopping the arms' rule.

I hope we add a ruck next year to battle Sweet for the next generation second ruck position once Trengove has retired. We never know, that gun NGA kid Jarrad Hagen-Ugle who is 195cm at 16 years old may be the next Paddy Ryder and he lands in our lap like a gift from above.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    For the first time in a long time I'm confident we have a KPF who can at least provide a target forward for the next decade (Schache).

I see Cordy as a backman but he can play the defensive forward role if need be and last year when he played forward he actually led the team for distance covered for that game.

Mobile mid-sizers tend to be in vogue though so our talls are likely to be Schache + resting ruck, with English thanking his lucky stars he's born in an era of the 'chopping the arms' rule.

I hope we add a ruck next year to battle Sweet for the next generation second ruck position once Trengove has retired. We never know, that gun NGA kid Jarrad Hagen-Ugle who is 195cm at 16 years old may be the next Paddy Ryder and he lands in our lap like a gift from above.

Any relation to Troy Ugle? I went out with his sister (or cousin) for a while. Interesting girl. Plenty of attitude and hated to start a fight with random strangers!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Any relation to Troy Ugle? I went out with his sister (or cousin) for a while. Interesting girl. Plenty of attitude and hated to start a fight with random strangers!
    Don't think so, and I screwed up his name - it's Jamarra Ugle-Hagen who is boarding at Scotch last year and this year, originally from Warrnambool.
    Heard nothing but hype on this kid who could become anything. And the next McPherson kid tied to us as a FS who is a 190cm mid at age 16!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers