Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Riding The Wave

Post Thanks / Like

Riding The Wave

Watch the video here

There are plenty of ups and downs in footy – and in life – as Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge knows well.

Succeeding in the AFL industry requires a fair share of resilience, perseverance and perspective, and Beveridge, entering his fifth year as the Dogs’ coach, is determined to keep riding the wave.

“Life throws up a lot of challenges,” he said in a BulldogsTV special from the Club’s pre-season camp in Mooloolaba.
    “On your journey, I think you’ve got to continue to explore the things that you’re passionate about.”
    One of those passions for Beveridge is taking on the ocean on his surfboard.

“I’m really passionate about surfing, I love it,” he said.
    “I think to keep everything in balance, you’ve got to keep exploring everything that defines you.

“Whether it’s family, whether it’s surf, whether it’s golf… (for me) it’s such a leveller being out in the ocean, being out in the elements, and I love it.

“It’s just the joy of riding the wave.

“It beats you up sometimes and it gives you what you want sometimes, some nice surf to enjoy. But other times you can come out wishing you had a better one. I think it’s the challenge of the ocean more than anything.”

For Beveridge, the passion for surfing started at an early age and stemmed from holidays to Cronulla, as well as the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas, where he made the most of any opportunities to get in the water.

He’s determined to ensure the footy-life balance is something that he and the Bulldogs’ players continue to embrace.
    “Our environment encourages players to explore their passions and the things they really want to pursue in their life,” Beveridge said.
    “There’s plenty of time of that. We help them and support them in whichever way we can.

“It helps them with their performance, where everything’s not channelled into one spot, and everything’s pointing towards them being able to go out on the field stress-free and knowing that their lives are in order.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Riding The Wave

This is a nice article.

I feel that the club really needs to make a concerted effort over the next 6-weeks to create some more connections to the team - manufacture some 'nice' stories (there 100% should be a poll about what JJ's hairstyle will be for the AFLX tournament) and generate a bit of excitement.

We have a really good list and 2019 is going to be a great season. I am convinced. But the club is almost irrelevant in the media at the moment and even other dogs supporters I talk too seem to be fearing the worst rather than expecting the best.

I want more stories about the Bevo who not only hits the surf but that guy we all remember who fully expected the 2015 team to go on a bit of a roll through that finals series after defeating Adelaide (don't mention the Eddie Betts match-up in the first quarter) and what his plans are for the year. I want a great story about English who I keep hearing will lead the ruck and all the work he has done to put size on...and I want to know how Naughton and Richards are fighting off the 2nd year blues...

I want a lot more right now. This is a good start but let's get rolling!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes Mofra, bornadog, Templeton31, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree MJP, there should be plenty of positives stories to tell and we have been very light on for news stories.
    To be honest I'd rather hear about the players than the coach but that is just a preference

Surely we can get some stories about the likes of Schache, Williams and Lipinski
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge hails Dogs’ strong leaders

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has praised the impact of leaders within the playing group at the end of 2018, as the Club enters 2019 full of optimism.

After a challenging season, the Bulldogs closed out 2018 with three wins from their final four matches – with the loss being a three-point defeat to preliminary finalist, Richmond.

Whilst 2019 will present new challenges, Beveridge is confident the growth within the leadership group last season will have an impact this year.

“We were really proud of the way the leaders went about their work last year,” Beveridge said.

“They were confronted with significant challenges, with teammates going down and some losses that sort of blew out in second halves.

“They held their nerve and at times they challenged all of us as to what they thought was the best profile in the last month and a half.”

“The results at the end of the year are largely attributed to the collective, there’s no doubt about that. But I loved the way they went about their voice and their action, and the way they interacted with the whole of the footy department.

“That’s only going to help them and expedite their progress as leaders, and help them believe that they’re on the right track and that everyone has got their back, and will help them along their own leadership path.”

The Dogs were forced to field 38 players throughout 2018, with injuries taking their toll.

Four players – Easton Wood, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter and Jason Johannisen – captained the side, while several young players emerged, including Ed Richards, Aaron Naughton and Brad Lynch.

“We always see the upside, and we’re always glass half-full,” Beveridge said.

“Our players have been through some challenging times with various things affecting performance.

“There’s a core belief though amongst everyone about what the right recipe will be, and that changes with personnel coming in and out.

“We got a little bit of a spring in our step through some of our performances in the back end of the year (in 2018), but it’s a new year, and as much as that was encouraging, we’re under no illusions of what’s going to be required to compete with the upper echelon (in 2019).”

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Eastdog, Insufficient Intent liked this post