Watch the video here

There are plenty of ups and downs in footy – and in life – as Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge knows well.

Succeeding in the AFL industry requires a fair share of resilience, perseverance and perspective, and Beveridge, entering his fifth year as the Dogs’ coach, is determined to keep riding the wave.

“Life throws up a lot of challenges,” he said in a BulldogsTV special from the Club’s pre-season camp in Mooloolaba.
“On your journey, I think you’ve got to continue to explore the things that you’re passionate about.”
One of those passions for Beveridge is taking on the ocean on his surfboard.

“I’m really passionate about surfing, I love it,” he said.
“I think to keep everything in balance, you’ve got to keep exploring everything that defines you.

“Whether it’s family, whether it’s surf, whether it’s golf… (for me) it’s such a leveller being out in the ocean, being out in the elements, and I love it.

“It’s just the joy of riding the wave.

“It beats you up sometimes and it gives you what you want sometimes, some nice surf to enjoy. But other times you can come out wishing you had a better one. I think it’s the challenge of the ocean more than anything.”

For Beveridge, the passion for surfing started at an early age and stemmed from holidays to Cronulla, as well as the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas, where he made the most of any opportunities to get in the water.

He’s determined to ensure the footy-life balance is something that he and the Bulldogs’ players continue to embrace.
“Our environment encourages players to explore their passions and the things they really want to pursue in their life,” Beveridge said.
“There’s plenty of time of that. We help them and support them in whichever way we can.

“It helps them with their performance, where everything’s not channelled into one spot, and everything’s pointing towards them being able to go out on the field stress-free and knowing that their lives are in order.”