Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Current depth of the playing list

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think we'll try and push JJ and Suckling up a little to be in the middle of the scoring chain rather than in deep defence starting it.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them rotate on the wing at times with Hunter and Richards.

Wood and Crozier have shown real signs at being medium defenders who can intercept, with them there was can get away with only two genuine KPDs allowing Morris to play lockdown and give us another small rebounder to play in the last spot (JJ/Daniel/Duryea/Richards can rotate there).

Some of our F50 problems can be helped by better F50 entry.
    I know Wood's best football is pretty decent but he hasn't actually played good football for about 2 years. A few games here or there but he's been disappointing for whatever reasons. Unless he bounces back this year we could have a sluggish back 6 given Naughton and Cordy are just decent kicks and Morris and Wood don't provide a lot of drive. A lot will fall onto the smaller defenders to create some run out of the backline.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know Wood's best football is pretty decent but he hasn't actually played good football for about 2 years. A few games here or there but he's been disappointing for whatever reasons. Unless he bounces back this year we could have a sluggish back 6 given Naughton and Cordy are just decent kicks and Morris and Wood don't provide a lot of drive. A lot will fall onto the smaller defenders to create some run out of the backline.
    As long as we don't expect Wood to play on the Buddy types or be switched to the forward line, he can get back to his better football. This might be his first pre-season for awhile where he hasn't had major injury concerns.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As long as we don't expect Wood to play on the Buddy types or be switched to the forward line, he can get back to his better football. This might be his first pre-season for awhile where he hasn't had major injury concerns.
    I hope you're correct but I think he had an injury free pre-season last year and just failed miserably to fire as a forward because he doesn't have a great feel for the game and while he was a bit better as a defender he didn't play a lot of good football last year.

While you don't want him to play against the likes of Buddy, you have also expressed that we have enough cover for tall defenders. If that depth thins out for any reason like form or injuries it will certainly fall to the likes of Morris and Wood to play against the bigger guys.

Wood has some noticeable limitations, many believe he can't play forward, many also believe he can't play against taller players in the back line and we know that he isn't a great kick and he doesn't provide a lot of dash from the back half.
    His best football apparently when he can zone off and be an intercept mark which may not always suit us.

I really hope he gets back to his 2016 form.

4. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think he was mishandled last year - all pre-season as a forward then after round 2 thrown back.
    One pre-season report suggested he wasn't noticeable which is not a positive but considering the 'team' nature of defence and that one wing is generally regarded as the defensive wing and one the more attacking we can generally get the ball into the hands of our good users.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Wood's game on Buddy at Etihad early last season was one of his best for the year. Buddy is one of the bigger forwards that Wood can actually play on if required.

7. Likes Mofra, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I thought Wood's game on Buddy at Etihad early last season was one of his best for the year. Buddy is one of the bigger forwards that Wood can actually play on if required.
    You mean the game where Buddy had 16 disposals, 10 marks and kicked 3.4

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Could've been worse...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While you don't want him to play against the likes of Buddy, you have also expressed that we have enough cover for tall defenders. If that depth thins out for any reason like form or injuries it will certainly fall to the likes of Morris and Wood to play against the bigger guys.
    Morris and Wood have been forced to play on talls because in the past we just didn't have any players of size in the backline. With Naughton, Cordy, Young and Roberts as the backup, I believe we are covered.

Wood has some noticeable limitations, many believe he can't play forward, many also believe he can't play against taller players in the back line and we know that he isn't a great kick and he doesn't provide a lot of dash from the back half.
    His best football apparently when he can zone off and be an intercept mark which may not always suit us.
    We know he is not a forward and shouldn't come into the discussion. Whilst he can play on talls, he shouldn't have to as it restricts his normal intercept, and running off the backline. I dispute he isn't a great kick. Wood can thump the ball along way:

I recall prior to 2016, Wood was at his best when he bounced and ran the ball out of the backline.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're correct but I think he had an injury free pre-season last year and just failed miserably to fire as a forward because he doesn't have a great feel for the game and while he was a bit better as a defender he didn't play a lot of good football last year.

I really hope he gets back to his 2016 form.
    Was his 2016 form even that good?

He had an exceptional year in 2015 which saw him win AA selection, but I thought his form dropped off a fair bit in 2016... maybe the extra responsibility of being stand-in captain affected his play, but he wasn't as effective or influential during our rise to eventually winning the flag.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the same game where Wood had 18 disposals, more touches means he was the better player right? Come on BAD, stats only tell half the story, you're better than that. He did a good job that day which was widely recognised. If Buddy is on then all anyone can do is limit the damage.

I don't think anyone would choose Wood an ideal matchup against Buddy, but it's not a terrible matchup for us. Buddy mostly relies on his mobility and running, as opposed to one on one marking strength, so Wood can compete with him if required.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for those who forget how good Wood can play. Let's hope he reaches these heights again.

Post Thanks / Like

Morris and Wood have been forced to play on talls because in the past we just didn't have any players of size in the backline. With Naughton, Cordy, Young and Roberts as the backup, I believe we are covered.

We know he is not a forward and shouldn't come into the discussion. Whilst he can play on talls, he shouldn't have to as it restricts his normal intercept, and running off the backline. I dispute he isn't a great kick. Wood can thump the ball along way:

I recall prior to 2016, Wood was at his best when he bounced and ran the ball out of the backline.
    Based on how you are describing him, Wood must be one of the more limited players on the list that only performs well in very specific circumstances. We seem to applaud Bevo for wanting versatile players on the list but as long as it doesn't apply to Wood.
    I don't agree that he shouldn't be measured as a forward, he trained for the position and failed badly and that shouldn't be forgotten and to me it underlines his limitations. As for his running off the backline you described above that was from a fair while ago and he just doesn't get enough of the ball to say it's a strength of his.

Thumping kicks aren't necessarily great kicks. For a mid sized defender that can play well in certain circumstances but not all we need him to provide run and clean skills and he hasn't for a long while. Mantis is right, 2016 wasn't a great year for him either but probably better than his 2017 and 2018 form.

There is a reason why we have targeted the likes of Suckling, Crozier, Richards, and Duryea in recent years and it's because their kicking skills are a strength and provide a contrast with Morris and Wood.

Has there been anything in the off season to suggest that he will get back to his 2015 form?

Post Thanks / Like

Has there been anything in the off season to suggest that he will get back to his 2015 form?
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying...and the answer to this question is 'probably not'. But what are you gonna do? He's the captain of the footy club. It isn't like he wont play every week...

To me he has always been 'athlete/footballer' who has been at his best when able to sit behind the ball and use his terrific hand-skills and ability to judge the ball in flight to be an intercept player (choosing either to mark or spoil). The challenge he has always had is being involved in attacking chains outside of those defensive intercepts...hence his possession counts is generally pretty low.

He needs to play in the back half and be prepared to play on both talls and smalls...which I think he is up for (and capable of). The coaching team need to find a way to make it work. He is an excellent leader (by all reports), is clearly heart and soul, courageous and a very good overhead mark. I understand your concerns about lack of impact with the ball in hand...but that I guess is what the Crozier's of this world are around for.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying...and the answer to this question is 'probably not'. But what are you gonna do? He's the captain of the footy club. It isn't like he wont play every week...

To me he has always been 'athlete/footballer' who has been at his best when able to sit behind the ball and use his terrific hand-skills and ability to judge the ball in flight to be an intercept player (choosing either to mark or spoil). The challenge he has always had is being involved in attacking chains outside of those defensive intercepts...hence his possession counts is generally pretty low.

He needs to play in the back half and be prepared to play on both talls and smalls...which I think he is up for (and capable of). The coaching team need to find a way to make it work. He is an excellent leader (by all reports), is clearly heart and soul, courageous and a very good overhead mark. I understand your concerns about lack of impact with the ball in hand...but that I guess is what the Crozier's of this world are around for.
    I genuinely get that but he is clearly being given a free pass on any reasonable level of scrutiny of performance over a long period and while many will call out the limitations of others, Wood remains our club's version of teflon.
    No doubt he is a good bloke and leader and that really isn't in question for me but the suggestions that he shouldn't play on the taller players I think really disadvantages our team because he just isn't good enough to provide run and carry like so many others we have on our list.
    I think we need 3 smaller skillful guys and that comes from Crozier, JJ, Suckling and Duryea (if I conceded that we have to play Richard elsewhere) and 3 taller players to cover the opposition talls'. To me that means Wood has to be able to match-up on some of the opposition taller guys not always looking for specific match-ups that allow him to zone off.

I really like Easton Wood but I doubt there have been many others that escape the scrutiny like he does.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all concede that both Morris and Wood had to play tall at times last year but this year you don't think they should have to.
    And yet we also had Adams and Trengove playing there at various times but now Adams is gone and because of Boyds back injury and with Rougheads departure Trengove will have to cover the ruckman/forward positions. Even Roughead played a game or two down back as well.
    So if I'm reading this correctly in terms of options we are 2 KP defensive players down on last year but we still have it covered even though we didn't have it covered last year by having to play the likes of Wood on Buddy?