Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Current depth of the playing list

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is what Pelchen wrote about us

15. WESTERN BULLDOGS

Over the past two years, the Western Bulldogs have only shown glimpses of the team that won the 2016 premiership. Their slide has been both disappointing and dramatic – a reflection of how even the competition has become apart from two to three struggling teams. But the nucleus of a talented side remains. Their midfield and utility players are very good – represented by the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood and Lachie Hunter plus younger players, Toby McLean, Ed Richards and outstanding draftees Bailey Smith and Rhylee West. It is in the key positions that questions remain. While Aaron Naughton is going to develop into one of the AFL's leading defenders, the performance of Tom Boyd and Josh Schache in attack will likely determine whether the Bulldogs improve on 2018. If both have greater outputs then a higher ladder position can be expected but if they don't provide genuine scoring options then the Dogs are going to sit in a similar position to last year.

Like Plough, the concern he has is around the key position players.
    I was just about the post the Felchen article myself. It smacked of someone who follows enough to seem informed enough to comment, but too lazy to see the depth of talent coming through that can only be gleaned from watching closely.

Now I will admit I am guilty of doing the same thing but we're talking about my team. At the end of the season we could have all of Dunkley, Liberatore, Bontempelli, Macrae, McLean, Johanissen, Hunter, Crozier, Daniel, Suckling, Wood, Naughton, Williams and Dickson all being capable or almost capable of walk up starts to any side in the league because they're that good if playing well. That's 14 players who could command a spot at any other team if they moved.

When you look at who's behind them, that's where we have our issues and where the questions marks start. Trengove,, Cordy, Boyd, Schache, English, Richards, Morris (tough one), Gowers, Wallis and Dale. All of these players are ready to be capable for us, but they aren't quite there yet, and as you can see there is a bias toward key positions within this group.

If Gowers, Schache, English, Richards, Dale and Wallis improve this year then I don't see how our list could be considered as poorly as it is by the pundits if the top group have decent seasons.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually stick up for the AFL related media but I'm not sure they are saying the wrong thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If Gowers, Schache, English, Richards, Dale and Wallis improve this year then I don't see how our list could be considered as poorly as it is by the pundits if the top group have decent seasons.
    If that's the "if" scenario then no wonder people are sceptical about us or "don't trust us". Couple that with players who actually would not be walk up players in the AFL based on recent form (Dickson has shown glimpses but has lacked the continuity to prove he is still good, nobody wanted Libba so I guess he counts, I agree with you on Suckling but half the forum seems hell bent on dropping him so he in't exactly a star, and Daniel was dropped from our bottom 6 side last year so should hardly be in the walk up start category even just for us).

We look at our list and see potential and think "how could we not improve". The media look at our side and sees potential and thinks "they're shit, although if they improve as their potential indicates they could be good, but I'm not that confident that they will".

We have completely lost the trust of the media and wider footballing public, and they are right to rate us poorly until we actually show we are capable of improving as we hope.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Reading through the fixture again just now, I honestly think there is a real possibility we only win 5 games this year. I'm pumped with our developing list, and i can see a huge upside in the middle of the ground with Libba back and Bont, Dunkley, Mcrae, Mclean all having strong preseasons - Wally in there for a pinch - but I still see big gaps in our defense and honestly dont know where our goals will come from this year.
    You can be weak around the ground but strong in the centre and still win more games than you lose.

Playing 12 midfielders on the ground makes you a strong running side and AFL is a running game.

Earlier I was looking at NicNat's marking stats in 2015 - 33 in total (yes he won mark of the year). Cyril Rioli had 103, Suckers 140 or so. The ability to run into space is far, far more important than being able to wrestle an opponent under a high ball.

I really rate our running ability. Hunter and Richards provide substantial outside run and we have Wallis in the F50 who is one of our best runner, Schache who covers a lot of ground and Lippi's slow but a has endurance. That's before you consider our centre square combos or the guys who can run the ball out of the backhalf.

Srs hat on - if JJ misses round one Ghosty is a serious chance of lining up in the back half, even with Duryea in the side. That's our forte and that's how we'll beat sides.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ...and Lippi's slow but a has endurance. .
    Seems plenty quick enough to me: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-05...oes-the-double
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    You can be weak around the ground but strong in the centre and still win more games than you lose.

Playing 12 midfielders on the ground makes you a strong running side and AFL is a running game.

Earlier I was looking at NicNat's marking stats in 2015 - 33 in total (yes he won mark of the year). Cyril Rioli had 103, Suckers 140 or so. The ability to run into space is far, far more important than being able to wrestle an opponent under a high ball.

I really rate our running ability. Hunter and Richards provide substantial outside run and we have Wallis in the F50 who is one of our best runner, Schache who covers a lot of ground and Lippi's slow but a has endurance. That's before you consider our centre square combos or the guys who can run the ball out of the backhalf.

Srs hat on - if JJ misses round one Ghosty is a serious chance of lining up in the back half, even with Duryea in the side. That's our forte and that's how we'll beat sides.
    Agree there is top end talent and good leg speed in our middle now, and I see it having an impact but not winning is enough games. I felt last year - aside from the first few rounds - we were generally competitive most weeks, just let down by our forward entries (which will be better this year) and efficiency with the footy going forward which was our biggest problem (lack of depth in the middle and a rotating back line up didn’t help).

Not a fan of injuries as an excuse, all teams have injuries, and even age - though it’s more palatable. Don’t see enough change in our attack structure this year to see the midfield having enough impact to turn the tide. I think we’re atleast two years, and a damaging forward off pushing finals.

All speculation of course. Wally could play mostly forward and be as effective as he once was in one on ones, Gowers may take another step forward, Cav could deliver on potential and schache could learn how to put in a second effort and be the perfect blend of athleticism and strength. Hope all this is true.

Add in a heavier and hungry English, Bont free of a hip complaint with a beast mode Dunkley and Libba and I’m excited - but I’m also realistic and I don’t see the development of our kids, and our draft/trade period enough to cover the gaps of last year.

I’ll still be there every week, and get 100% enjoyment from us getting better.

The games I reckon we’ll win are the obvious ones - Suns, blues, saints and maybe lions in Melbourne. 5 games. Wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Essendon, swans and north based on confidence and match ups. Genuinely don’t think we’ll win a game on the road.

Worst case we win 5, get some great experience and gel in our top 24-30 players and a nice draft pick.
    Best case we click into gear, topple a couple of teams we weren’t expecting to, win 7-9 games and still get a nice draft pick.

Would love nothing more than to eat humble pie by the bye round. The Richmond game for me isn’t a reflection on both teams ability - it’s was last round and they were 2 games clear first. Did kill they lied about Dusty’s stats on the board at half time when Jacko was best on by a country mile.

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post