Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mid-season draft: When is it and how will it work?

Link

CLUBS are beginning to learn the finer details of this year's mid-season draft, which is expected to fall after round 11.

AFL.com.au understands clubs have recently received information from the League explaining that the mid-season draft, the AFL's first since 1993, will be held the week of June 3 – just prior to the bye rounds commencing.

Seven clubs currently have list spots available and will subsequently be able to take part in the draft. Carlton is the only club with multiple spots available with three vacancies.

However, clubs can still have spots open up on their list should a player succumb to either a long-term injury or prematurely retire from the game. There will be no deadline on when teams can open list spots prior to the mid-season draft.

Clubs can also fill their available list spots prior to March 15 by recruiting players via the AFL's newly introduced pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules.

It's understood players recruited during the mid-season draft will earn a contract for the remainder of the season, though they will have the option of negotiating terms for an extension at any period throughout the year.

Should a player's contract not be renewed beyond the current year – and should the player fail to be recruited to another club the following season – it's believed the player will receive a one-off payment of around $20,000.

As compensation for state league clubs who have players taken from them midway through the year, it's understood AFL clubs will be made to provide them with a reimbursement.

That could include a payment of up to 50 per cent of any sign-on bonus given to the player by their state league club.

It's believed the order of the draft will be based on the ladder positions after round 11, though a number of other ways to determine the order of draft picks have been considered.

One particular example floated was a combined ladder based off results from the last 11 matches of the previous season with the first 11 games of the current season. However, that scenario appears unlikely to eventuate.

The decision to hold a mid-season draft was finalised by the AFL Commission in October following discussions by the Competition Committee, but finer details had yet to be determined at the time.

Players eligible for the mid-season draft must have previously nominated for an AFL draft or been on an AFL club list.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mid-season draft: When is it and how will it work?

I wonder if we persevered with Picken and Webb knowing that we had the MSD as a backup?

I'm not a fan of the flow on effect on the state leagues but I'm curious to see how it pans out. I'm particularly curious to see how many MSD drafted players earn contract extensions at years's end.

An extra $20,000 on top of base salary and half a season's work is a decent carrot.

I wonder if a club could terminate a disgruntled player's contract mid-season to allow them to cross to another club? On reading the article it would appear that only Long Term Injuries and premature retirements will count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I wonder if we persevered with Picken and Webb knowing that we had the MSD as a backup?

I'm not a fan of the flow on effect on the state leagues but I'm curious to see how it pans out. I'm particularly curious to see how many MSD drafted players earn contract extensions at years's end. .
    Picken and Webb were both contracted for this year - very fortunate for Webby I'd suggest.

I'm also not a fan of the flow on effect, especially if that player is taken from a standalone VFL club even though that would help Footscray.

Would we have kept Buku as a cat B rookie knowing the rules we do now?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Picken and Webb were both contracted for this year - very fortunate for Webby I'd suggest.

I'm also not a fan of the flow on effect, especially if that player is taken from a standalone VFL club even though that would help Footscray.

Would we have kept Buku as a cat B rookie knowing the rules we do now?
    On my reading of the article, if either were to retire prior to season's end we could replace them via the Mid season draft.