Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leadership - Our competitive advantage?

I think we have a great leadership team at our footy club.
    The impact to the playing group the likes of Wood, Bontempellii, Hunter, Johannisen, Wallis and Trengove provide I believe will give us an advantage over many other teams. On top of that, Macrae, Morris, Dunkley, Picken and Dickson are also leaders at the club and I've probably missed a couple of others.

While there is a real focus on developing our younger group there is no denying to me how important our on-field leaders are for us.

Does the fact that we have strong and focused leaders give you some optimism for the season ahead?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership - Our competitive advantage?

Absolutely. Yes critical leadership, critical culture. The antithesis of Stringers and others influence. If the culture is well led then its ripe for the whole team and club moving in healthy unified direction. We have that now, courtesy of our player management and the cutting of certain players and the development of many great individuals.
    This leadership will also have benefits on matchday in supporting the team and individuals giving support both moral and direct.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another form of leadership is on the training track.

Even though Libba can't be regarded as a leader, he does show what is required on the training track and leads by example.

There are probably a few more guys that are able to show the young pups what is required to become an AFL Player. I would say people like Morris, Wallis and The Bont would show exceptional training and preparation requirements. Are there any others?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Another form of leadership is on the training track.

Even though Libba can't be regarded as a leader, he does show what is required on the training track and leads by example.

There are probably a few more guys that are able to show the young pups what is required to become an AFL Player. I would say people like Morris, Wallis and The Bont would show exceptional training and preparation requirements. Are there any others?
    Liberatore is known as a good trainer so yes he would provide some leadership and perhaps some motivation for the playing group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The impact to the playing group the likes of Wood, Bontempellii, Hunter, Johannisen, Wallis and Trengove provide I believe will give us an advantage over many other teams. On top of that, Macrae, Morris, Dunkley, Picken and Dickson are also leaders at the club and I've probably missed a couple of others.
    Which teams are you thinking with this comment?

One thing I'd like our senior players/leaders to improve is being able to change the momentum of the contest when things aren't going our way. We saw in 2018 that there were large periods of games where we either couldn't stop the opposition scoring or hit the scoreboard ourselves. In those periods we need this group to help keep us on track and in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

All are quality leaders no doubt but I do have concerns that of the leadership group only Bonts and Hunter are consistently playing Seniors.
    Wally did this season but I not sure he will be playing each week, would have loved to have seen another guaranteed Senior in the group such as Macrae, or Dunks.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Which teams are you thinking with this comment?

One thing I'd like our senior players/leaders to improve is being able to change the momentum of the contest when things aren't going our way. We saw in 2018 that there were large periods of games where we either couldn't stop the opposition scoring or hit the scoreboard ourselves. In those periods we need this group to help keep us on track and in the game.
    Suns, North, Carlton, Fremantle and Saints spring to mind and I think Brisbane and even GWS might be light on for strong leaders.
    Port remain a bit of an enigma and I'm not convinced on Collingwood.

I'm also not sure I agree that the ability to change the momentum of a game falls onto the leadership group that what the coaches have the runners to help them. Having said that, the likes of Morris and Wood will command the backline, Bontempelli, Macrae, Wallis, Trengove, Hunter and Dunkley around the middle of the ground which probably leaves us a bit light on up forward. Maybe Lloyd and Dickson can play their part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The impact to the playing group the likes of Wood, Bontempellii, Hunter, Johannisen, Wallis and Trengove provide I believe will give us an advantage over many other teams.
    Aren't most of those guys the 'leaders' who have allowed the past two seasons to happen?

I would have thought we were a fair way off the pace in this regard...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Aren't most of those guys the 'leaders' who have allowed the past two seasons to happen?

I doubt any leader could have stopped dickheads like Stringer, Dahl, etc. They were just not team oriented people and thought they could get away with anything.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I doubt any leader could have stopped dickheads like Stringer, Dahl, etc. They were just not team oriented people and thought they could get away with anything.
    So are our leaders strong or not?

Our leadership has been sorely lacking these last two years. Wood has struggled enough with his own form, JJ is still trying to break out of the "gun but only on his terms" category and Wallis was borderline best 22 for most of the last two years and might find himself struggling again this year.

The fact that our leaders have been powerless to arrest a form slump from a Premiership winning squad indicates to me that they aren't necessarily worth gloating over, especially when even off field they have proven themselves unable to get the best out of their less professional teammates resulting in their departure.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes GVGjr, Mofra, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find discussions about leadership a bit like discussions about assistant coaches - from the outside I have no idea who is a good leader or a good coach. Without some sort of insider knowledge I find it hard to form any strong opinion because I simply don't have enough evidence to go on.

15. Likes ratsmac, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I find discussions about leadership a bit like discussions about assistant coaches - from the outside I have no idea who is a good leader or a good coach. Without some sort of insider knowledge I find it hard to form any strong opinion because I simply don't have enough evidence to go on.
    Agree, we are all guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I can't quite agree with that. I think the difference is the club needed to address the compliancy and half arsed efforts that had plagued the team since the GF and that shouldn't be an issue for the leadership group.
    The coaches in my mind gave some players a gap year in 2017 which was a poor outcome and it didn't improve liked they hoped in 2018.
    The fact the club didn't stand down players during the 2017 season except for a rookie indicates that they didn't know how to deal with it.
    At the end of 2017 Stringer was gone and in a very public manner but it was evident a lot more needed to be done and it wasn't until the end of 2018 the club, in the main, got it right with the players that either retired or we delisted.

I'm convinced it's a better group now from a focus perspective and that we have a stronger leadership group as well.
    Trengove and Wallis in leadership positions will be good for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with win-loss then! :-)
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fortunate enough to meet some players and occasionally get to talk to them. Based on that I think Wallis and Trengove are significant upgrades to last years group. Highly regarded by their peers, hard workers and good role models willing to challenge others in a positive manner. I genuinely believe we have a strong leadership group.

20. Likes Axe Man liked this post