Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

THE SIX TEAMS TERRY WALLACE "DOESN'T RATE" IN 2019 - we are one of them

link

With the season getting closer and closer, Terry Wallace has broken the 18 AFL teams into groups: “don’t rate”, “trust”, “improve in 2019” and “unsure of them in 2019”.

Starting with the teams the Australian football Hall of Famer doesn’t rate/trust, Wallace has said the following.

“I don’t rate the following sides,” Wallace told SEN Afternoons.

“There’s six of them, but it doesn’t mean they’ll finish in the bottom six, I just don’t trust them so I’m not going with them.

“I don’t rate Gold Coast.

“Clearly they’re down and out with senior players.

“I don’t rate (Carlton) yet.

“I think they will be an improving side, but I don’t rate them yet.

“I don’t rate Fremantle, even with the inclusions of the bigger blokes coming in, I’m not sure they can get enough supply to the bigger blokes to make the leap they believe they can.

“They’re flaky so I don’t trust them.

“I don’t trust St Kilda. I don’t think their list is as good as the others. I’m worried about their rucks and some of the key position players.

“I don’t trust the Western Bulldogs. I don’t trust their big blokes. I think their run off half back is very good, but I don’t trust their spine and what they’re going to have in the ruck.”

“And I don’t trust Port Adelaide.

“I just think they’re a flaky group and they’ve had a couple of key players leave.

“They’ve got some good kids in, but they’re kids and I don’t trust Port Adelaide.”

Which team will finish highest on the ladder of this group in 2019?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: THE SIX TEAMS TERRY WALLACE "DOESN'T RATE" IN 2019 - we are one of them

I heard Plough mention our lack of rucks and taller players were his concern. He had high praise for English but that he will need time to develop.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he makes a fairly sensible point.

The counter-point being that most of the big blokes he doesn't trust have healthy scope for improvement and will have every opportunity to trot it out this year.

English
    Schache
    Cordy
    Naughton
    Young

Lets revisit the conversation with Plough in a year.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

4. Likes hujsh, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Well, he makes a fairly sensible point.

The counter-point being that most of the big blokes he doesn't trust have healthy scope for improvement and will have every opportunity to trot it out this year.

English
    Schache
    Cordy
    Naughton
    Young

Lets revisit the conversation with Plough in a year.
    I think this is our weakness.

We are relying on a bunch of guys no older than 21 years old, and we know big blokes take awhile to mature.

We really need Tommy Boyd, but it is not looking good.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

We are relying on a bunch of guys no older than 21 years old, and we know big blokes take awhile to mature.

what's the latest with Big Tom. Got some inside info Bornadog?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    what's the latest with Big Tom. Got some inside info Bornadog?
    All I know is his back is bad and he has virtually done no preseason training. NO date set for his return, so I am writing him off at this stage, at least for half the season.

9. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I know is his back is bad and he has virtually done no preseason training. NO date set for his return, so I am writing him off at this stage, at least for half the season.
    Where did you hear that? The report on the club website said he has had good continuity in running but unable to progress to footy loads, whatever that means. I don't think that he has done virtually no training, he's just on a modified program. Certainly it seems unlikely we will see him early in the season though.

Post Thanks / Like

Aye, if the bulk of those blokes can't kick on as regular contributors we're back to shuffling deckchairs again, and it's not unrealistic to suggest they'll need more than a season to do it, particularly English and Young.

Our big bloke depth really is precarious, again. If Boyd can salvage a chunk of the season, and crucially STAY on the park, it'd be helpful but I'm beginning to think we need to start planning for life after big Tom. Another conversation to revisit in a year.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

We've lost trust from almost everybody in the football world and there is only one way to get it back, winning. Sadly I don't think it will happen that often anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta admit. Whilst I'm Bullish about our medium to long term - providing we manage things well - I too, to use Plough's vernacular, don't 'trust' us. And for similar reason he has stated, which I posted here last week.

Our ruck unit at full strength is light on experience and we are already one down in Boyd.
    So English and Trengove are our starting ruck corp; with Schache to provide a few minutes coverage. Then the untried rookie Sweet.
    That concerns me.

Naughton is solid; but lets remember he is only a 2nd year player.
    Schache, whilst showing signs, is still inexperienced and would need to show exponential improvement this year to make a pivotal difference.

So that's a serious ? mark on our talls.

Then there is the ever present elephant in the room....we have been deplorable at efficiently entering our forward 50, as well as then converting our chances for a number of years - pre dating and including 2016.

14. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I gotta admit. Whilst I'm Bullish about our medium to long term - providing we manage things well - I too, to use Plough's vernacular, don't 'trust' us. And for similar reason he has stated, which I posted here last week.

Our ruck unit at full strength is light on experience and we are already one down in Boyd.
    So English and Trengove are our starting ruck corp; with Schache to provide a few minutes coverage. Then the untried rookie Sweet.
    That concerns me.

Naughton is solid; but lets remember he is only a 2nd year player.
    Schache, whilst showing signs, is still inexperienced and would need to show exponential improvement this year to make a pivotal difference.

So that's a serious ? mark on our talls.

Then there is the ever present elephant in the room....we have been deplorable at efficiently entering our forward 50, as well as then converting our chances for a number of years - pre dating and including 2016.
    I agree with all that, I'm just wondering if we would have taken an experienced tall from the VFL (e.g. Corbett) if Carlton & the Suns didn't have pre-listing access to mature talent?

Yes Carlton traded away theirs for picks (a la Shane McAdam to Adelaide) but weren't their whispers pre-draft we were looking at Corbett?
    Sam Collins might have been a consideration but he's slow and we already have a slow by foot back up in Sid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Whatever.

I read the link but it doesn't really say who he DOES trust. Going into 2018, you would have said West Coast couldn't be trusted either - particularly without Natanui...and that worked out OK. You would have 100% said that Collingwood couldn't be trusted - but somehow DeGoey and Stephenson stood up in the forward half and helped turn things around.

Our midfield/running power is very impressive and we are going to be a tough out for most sides. You could say that the guys don't deserve anyones trust after their performances in 2017/2018 OR you could take the attitude that there are is a large chunk of the list that has shown the ability to put together consecutive, positive performances in high pressure situations AWAY from the 'Dome.

We are in for a very, very good season. There will be a media commentator out there somewhere who jumps on board soon and will look like a genius after round 12. Most of them are more determined NOT to look like a donkey than they are to be bold...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont mind it, he isnt saying that we will be bottom 6 or even miss the finals just purely that he cannot trust us so wont back us in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I dont mind it, he isnt saying that we will be bottom 6 or even miss the finals just purely that he cannot trust us so wont back us in.
    100% correct, he's just calling out that he doesn't believe we have the depth and quality with our KP players and that too much is left to the likes of Naughton, English and Schache who aren't experienced

It's a fair question to ask (I've asked it myself) and I'm sure he will be rapt for us if we perform well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    100% correct, he's just calling out that he doesn't believe we have the depth and quality with our KP players and that too much is left to the likes of Naughton, English and Schache who aren't experienced

It's a fair question to ask (I've asked it myself) and I'm sure he will be rapt for us if we perform well.
    Pretty sure his kids are dogs fans and he's mentioned more than once he likes to see us doing well.

He helped change our culture as coach and won two B&Fs for us as a player, I certainly think he's a welcome figure at the club.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes ratsmac, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post