Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: THE SIX TEAMS TERRY WALLACE "DOESN'T RATE" IN 2019 - we are one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Pretty sure his kids are dogs fans and he's mentioned more than once he likes to see us doing well.

He helped change our culture as coach and won two B&Fs for us as a player, I certainly think he's a welcome figure at the club.
    Life Member.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Pretty sure his kids are dogs fans and he's mentioned more than once he likes to see us doing well.

He helped change our culture as coach and won two B&Fs for us as a player, I certainly think he's a welcome figure at the club.
    I went to an East West function a couple of years back (and I met WOOF member Josie) and Plough made his first appearance at a club function since his departure. It was sad to think that he didn't really feel that welcome at the club before that. I was annoyed with the way he originally left us but I did have a quick chat to him at the East West night and I've typically enjoyed his media work.

I don't have an issue with how he rates our chances but like all of us I hope he's got it very wrong.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with detail of Plough’s analysis, but hey we surprised everyone in ‘15/‘16 and we can do it again. A lot has to go right-luck on injury front, our talls outdo expectations (depth not there now), rucks competitive, delivery into F50 improve out of sight, ability to keep ball I50 too, goal kicking accuracy (a lot of this possibly has to do with acute angles/delivery I50). I’m quietly optimistic we could make the 8, and who knows from there. If we just miss the 8 and look very promising that’s a pass for me considering how young our side is.

P.S. East West night is my fave footy event outside watching games. The interviews are more insightful than elsewhere (both prior and new players) and you have opportunity to meet fellow RWB diehards-all of whom are very friendly.

5. Likes Eastdog, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As per mjp’s comments our depth & quality across the mid sized players is as good as anyone else’s... and will help us win a lot of games. We are going to need good seasons out of Naughton, Cordy, Schache, English and Trengove with hopefully Young able to step into the team as required if we are going to push up into the 8, but it’s not out of the question.

We are an extremely hard team to place and the ‘don’t trust’ grouping is the easy option.. but not sure it’s the right one.

7. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Agree with detail of Plough’s analysis, but hey we surprised everyone in ‘15/‘16 and we can do it again. A lot has to go right-luck on injury front, our talls outdo expectations (depth not there now), rucks competitive, delivery into F50 improve out of sight, ability to keep ball I50 too, goal kicking accuracy (a lot of this possibly has to do with acute angles/delivery I50). I’m quietly optimistic we could make the 8, and who knows from there. If we just miss the 8 and look very promising that’s a pass for me considering how young our side is.

P.S. East West night is my fave footy event outside watching games. The interviews are more insightful than elsewhere (both prior and new players) and you have opportunity to meet fellow RWB diehards-all of whom are very friendly.

Joined the East West Club this year. Usually attend the East West Day each year and go to the annual family day at Whitten Oval. The mid year East West event from reports I’ve read sounds like a good one.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    As per mjp’s comments our depth & quality across the mid sized players is as good as anyone else’s... and will help us win a lot of games. We are going to need good seasons out of Naughton, Cordy, Schache, English and Trengove with hopefully Young able to step into the team as required if we are going to push up into the 8, but it’s not out of the question.

We are an extremely hard team to place and the ‘don’t trust’ grouping is the easy option.. but not sure it’s the right one.
    I think its a fair enough call.

Of the five players you've named as needing good seasons, 3 of them are only 21 and two of those will need MASSIVE steps up. All 5 are more than capable but we need a lot to go right this year.

As you rightly say its not out of the question but 'don't trust' is an accurate assessment, particularly given the uncertainty around Tom Boyd's injury, JJ's delayed start to the season and the inexperience of what remains of our rucks.

Post Thanks / Like

'Don't trust' is also a fabulous opportunity.

Nobody trusted us in 2016, and certainly not in 2015 after the October 2014 disaster. We got key players back at the right time and had players who were more desperate than skilled during the 2016 finals series.

Richmond were certainly not to be trusted in 2017, they dropped talented players in lieu of desperate ones (especially forward of the ball) which I dare say they learned from us.

Nobody trusted West Coast (some had them tipped for the spoon) and then their second rotation mids just exploded all at once.

'Not trusted' can also be read as 'room for significant improvement' and nobody does damage in the AFL system just treading water
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes GVGjr, josie, azabob, jeemak, Topdog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    100% correct, he's just calling out that he doesn't believe we have the depth and quality with our KP players and that too much is left to the likes of Naughton, English and Schache who aren't experienced

It's a fair question to ask (I've asked it myself) and I'm sure he will be rapt for us if we perform well.
    Given our lack of experience in the big man department it didn’t make sense to me to allow Roughead and Campbell to go to Collingwood and North respectively. English and Schache are still a far way off in terms of experience and strength. Apart from Cordy we badly lack big men with the necessary experience. Naughton has been very good in his short career and should be a big improver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Given our lack of experience in the big man department it didn’t make sense to me to allow Roughead and Campbell to go to Collingwood and North respectively. English and Schache are still a far way off in terms of experience and strength. Apart from Cordy we badly lack big men with the necessary experience. Naughton has been very good in his short career and should be a big improver.
    I'd also factor in the doubts that should have been over Boyd's availability as well. I think we are two or even three key position players light on in terms of a better balanced list but even just one more versatile tall being recruited last year would just provide us with some depth we badly need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Why? Whats the point of having experienced depth if you a) wont use it and b) it doesn't improve you? Thats just experience for experience sake.

Campbell was on our list all last year, has been promising in the past, is in the prime age to step up as an AFL ruck, and half the rucks ahead of him battled form or injury issues. Campbells gametime in 2018 = 0 minutes. If you aren't going to play him then there is zero reason to keep him on your list.

Roughead did play last year, but was largely ineffective. More than any of our other rucks is limited to one position, and isn't actaully very good at it anymore, is injury prone both in and out of games, and basically looked past it. Maybe he excels at Collingwood, i hope he does, but i am confident he wasn't going to be any more than a bit part player with us on minimum wage. Besides he would be our 4th choice ruck and equal standing with Roberts as a key defender.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

15. Likes Mofra, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Roughead did play last year, but was largely ineffective. More than any of our other rucks is limited to one position, and isn't actaully very good at it anymore, is injury prone both in and out of games, and basically looked past it. Maybe he excels at Collingwood, i hope he does, but i am confident he wasn't going to be any more than a bit part player with us on minimum wage. Besides he would be our 4th choice ruck and equal standing with Roberts as a key defender.
    Collingwood see him as a KPD moreso than a ruckman, and there's no way Roughy gets a game ahead of Naughton or Cordy or at a pinch, Morris (although I hope we don't play Moz too tall).

There's a respect aspect too - he's been a fantastic teammate and is a Premiership player so he wanted to explore other options to play senior football and we should thank him and grant him his wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Why? Whats the point of having experienced depth if you a) wont use it and b) it doesn't improve you? Thats just experience for experience sake.

Campbell was on our list all last year, has been promising in the past, is in the prime age to step up as an AFL ruck, and half the rucks ahead of him battled form or injury issues. Campbells gametime in 2018 = 0 minutes. If you aren't going to play him then there is zero reason to keep him on your list.

I've got a very different approach to this and believe having depth for the key positions is vital for us especially given the run of injuries we have endured possibly due to poor management or diagnosis over the last two years.

To me it's like having car, home and health insurance and while you hope you never need it but it's great to know it's there.

In my opinion we are a couple of KP players light for this season and any injuries will expose us. I think Roughy might have been a decent retention but understand he should have been allowed to go if he wanted. But knowing that there was a doubt on Boyd, and that Campbell and Roughead were leaving we really need to cast a net out to see what could be done. I'm not confident that happened.

If we run the risk but still get pinged by injuries I don't believe that is an acceptable outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

1 of Roughhead or Campbell should have been kept IMO. We go in with a 21 year old kid targeted to hold down the #1 ruck position, 1 KPP out indefinitely. Our tall stocks are looking light on already and we're nowhere close to Round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've got a very different approach to this and believe having depth for the key positions is vital for us especially given the run of injuries we have endured possibly due to poor management or diagnosis over the last two years.

To me it's like having car, home and health insurance and while you hope you never need it but it's great to know it's there.

In my opinion we are a couple of KP players light for this season and any injuries will expose us. I think Roughy might have been a decent retention but understand he should have been allowed to go if he wanted. But knowing that there was a doubt on Boyd, and that Campbell and Roughead were leaving we really need to cast a net out to see what could be done. I'm not confident that happened.

If we run the risk but still get pinged by injuries I don't believe that is an acceptable outcome.
    The problem is Campbell was like having insurance but when you get hit by a car and go to the hospital you can't be bothered to fill in the forms to make a claim. I'd have loved a mature ruck from the state leagues, maybe Sweet is closer to the mark than we realise and can fill that hole but that's a big if.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The problem is Campbell was like having insurance but when you get hit by a car and go to the hospital you can't be bothered to fill in the forms to make a claim. I'd have loved a mature ruck from the state leagues, maybe Sweet is closer to the mark than we realise and can fill that hole but that's a big if.
    I'd prefer Sweet on our rookie list than Campbell on our main list. Sorry BTC, I like the guy but he just wasn't in our plans.