Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Jacko wanted in on Indigenous Summit

Why Jackson Trengove wanted to represent the Western Bulldogs at AFL’s Indigenous All Star Summit in Adelaide next week

Jackson Trengove was one of the “brothers” at Port Adelaide and would even wear a special pair of indigeKJnous coloured Speedo’s under his footy shorts on game day.

So when he was asked whether he would represent his new club the Western Bulldogs — which is the only team in the AFL without an Aboriginal player currently on its list — at next week’s Indigenous All Stars Summit he didn’t think twice.

With the blessing of his coach Luke Beveridge, Trengove will return to Adelaide on Sunday for the four-day summit hosted by his old club Port Adelaide.

He will be joined by the Bulldogs’ indigenous programs manager Brett Goodes and player welfare officer Brent Prismall after their club launched its first Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) last year.

“I used to get invited to the brothers’ dinners at Port and to have that interaction and insight with them was great for me,” Trengove said.

“I’m big on creating that environment that we are one, and I used to do a lot of work with the indigenous boys on the list and with Pauly (Vandenbergh) around cultural awareness through our game.

“At the Doggies we don’t have anyone (indigenous player) currently listed but the club is making big inroads in the Aboriginal space with the RAP program and the work Goodesy is doing.

“So when Pauly reached out to me about the summit I said I’d be honoured and privileged to represent the Western Bulldogs and I’m really excited about learning even more about Aboriginal culture.”

He will be joined by the Bulldogs’ indigenous programs manager Brett Goodes and player welfare officer Brent Prismall after their club launched its first Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) last year.

Trengove left Port Adelaide after 153 games to join the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2017 but is still in contact with his former teammates.

“Sammy Powell-Pepper is one of my good mates and so is Paddy (Ryder),” Trengove said.

“And Jars (Jarman Impey) and Chad (Wingard) have both left (Port) but they’re in Melbourne now and are at my house every couple of days so it’s been good to catch up.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Jacko wanted in on Indigenous Summit

Article is incorrect, Lynch is indigenous. Good on Jackson for putting his hand up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Article is incorrect, Lynch is indigenous. Good on Jackson for putting his hand up.
    Are you sure that is correct BAD? He hails from Mandurah and played footy there and even got his nickname by his indigenous friends but I'm not sure he is indigenous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are you sure that is correct BAD? He hails from Mandurah and played footy there and even got his nickname by his indigenous friends but I'm not sure he is indigenous.
    I am 90% sure but now you have me thinking.

Edit: I think you may be right, he played with alot of indigenous players back home but I can't find a reference that he is. Not sure where I got that information from, but I thought he was?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove must be a great person to have at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove must be a great person to have at the club.
    Was VC at Port, Port fans still speak highly of him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Was VC at Port, Port fans still speak highly of him.
    I actually joined the PA facebook group when we drafted him to get some info on him from the fans, none of them had anything but good things to say about him. From what i've read across a lot of different outlets he genuinely seems like the best bloke in the world.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I actually joined the PA facebook group when we drafted him to get some info on him from the fans, none of them had anything but good things to say about him. From what i've read across a lot of different outlets he genuinely seems like the best bloke in the world.
    One of the first players to start signing autographs after the training session finished today and seems to know the importance of fan engagement and genuinely seems to enjoy it.

I talked to Mark Choco Williams years ago watching the TAC, Trengove was somewhat new to Port and Williams was already super impressed with him.
    And at the Legends and Young Guns dinner last year just before the players were to leave (Richards and Naughton were the other players) Jack took the mike and talked about how important the supporter groups are to a club and how welcomed he felt since he arrived at. He could have easily just smiled and waved as he left but he provided us with a brief but impressive speech that just made you feel just a bit closer to the club and valued by the players.

On top of that, I talked to someone today who said he is far fitter than this time 12 months ago. I know there are some who think he's just a player but if he stays injury free he might impress.

To hear that he wanted to represent the club at this Indigenous summit does not surprise.

10. Likes AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I asked a Port supporting mate about him when we recruited him. He said that he had lost a yard of pace since he was at his absolute best but continued to be a super impressive member of the playing group. My mate was a bit mystified as to how Jack was treated by the selectors/coaches and why he mostly played in the SANFL over the last few months of his time there. Actually my mate was pretty vocal about WTF they thought they were doing with him at Port because they were playing players he didn't think were as good as Jack at the back end of the season and didn't pick him for the final they just lost to West Coast.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the first players to start signing autographs after the training session finished today and seems to know the importance of fan engagement and genuinely seems to enjoy it.

I talked to Mark Choco Williams years ago watching the TAC, Trengove was somewhat new to Port and Williams was already super impressed with him.
    And at the Legends and Young Guns dinner last year just before the players were to leave (Richards and Naughton were the other players) Jack took the mike and talked about how important the supporter groups are to a club and how welcomed he felt since he arrived at. He could have easily just smiled and waved as he left but he provided us with a brief but impressive speech that just made you feel just a bit closer to the club and valued by the players.

On top of that, I talked to someone today who said he is far fitter than this time 12 months ago. I know there are some who think he's just a player but if he stays injury free he might impress.

To hear that he wanted to represent the club at this Indigenous summit does not surprise.
    My main criticism of him last year was he was too slow to be an effective defender, and whether that is his correct position or not, its where he played. If he has tightened up his fitness, there is a strong chance he's our no. 1 ruckman this year which Im fine with as long as English get 15+ games. Competing in the ruck, covering the ground for contests and having a leaders voice all over will be enough of a contribution this year iMO
    The dam wall has busted!