Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Round 1 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Round 1 2019

Bulldogs Injury Concerns

Only 12 players from the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership team look set to be available for Round 1, with a trio of stars still on the sidelines.

Forward Tom Boyd was unsighted for a light training session at Whitten Oval on Saturday morning as he continues to battle a back injury, while defender Jason Johannisen completed only a few handball drills and faces another week in a moon boot with a syndesmosis ankle injury.

Veteran Liam Picken is still on light non-contact duties, having revealed to the Herald Sun earlier this month he was still suffering headaches almost 12 months on from his most recent concussion.

The trio join midfielder Lin Jong (hamstring) and first-year defender Buku Khamis (knee) on a growing injury list, Jong set miss up to 10 weeks with a high-grade hamstring tear he suffered during match-simulation on Thursday.

“The sad thing is he’s been training very well this year,” Bulldogs teammate Zaine Cordy said of Jong.

“He’s had a horrible run with injuries so hopefully he can get back fighting fit but it’s going to be a pretty tough two months for him.”

Cordy has had his own issues over pre-season, first having to nurse a fractured forehead he suffered in Round 21 last year and then having a “niggling ankle” injury which put him on a restricted program.

However, the defender has got himself fit again in recent weeks, his running times and weightlifting in the gym both up.

Cordy played in the 2016 premiership as a forward but said he was now settled down back where he liked to “play on instinct and back yourself”.

Despite the current injury woes, the 22-year-old said the Bulldogs were backing themselves to bounce back this year after missing the top-eight the past two season.

“Our goal is this year to make finals,” Cordy said.

“If we can stay healthy and get a good core of 25 players that can stay healthy I reckon we can have a fair crack this year.”

Western Bulldogs meet Sydney in Round 1 on March 23.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2019

Number of teams that will feature 10+ premiership players in round 1.

West coast
    Richmond
    Us.

....and that’s it.

How many Sydney blokes from the 2016 gf will be available? Plus, I’m pretty sure Dureya is a premiership player, and I know suckling is...whilst they didn’t play in 2016 they still wear that hat.

I get frustrated with stuff like this as what should be a positive article comes across as if we are a side devoid of talent and beset by injuries. Only JJ is genuine best 22 (to be fair, Boyd should be but who honestly knows) of our current ‘outs’. Sure, it’s sad for Jong but he seems to be regularly on the injury list and is marginal best 22 in any case.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes Doggy, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really looking forward to round 1.

At this point I am expecting to kick off the season with a win.

It is hard to know who will be fit for any team at this point, but I believe we have strong midfield depth that will give us an edge.

The class of Bontempelli was in evidence at the end of 2018. With strong midfield support from Dunkley, Bont was able to really influence games and adding Liberatore to the mix makes us stronger in that area.

Bont, Libba, Hunter, Macrae, Dunkley plus Bailey Williams etc give us plenty of engine room talent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

OK, what about our opponents ?

Naismith wont be ready. What about Buddy? And what about the Swans invisible man Sam Reid?

Have they traded in anyone decent?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    OK, what about our opponents ?

Naismith wont be ready. What about Buddy? And what about the Swans invisible man Sam Reid?

Have they traded in anyone decent?
    They lost more than they gained - Nic Newman and Gary Rohan out, Thurlow in, and a whole lot of pick swapping.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres no reason we cant have a great season

We will have 12 premiership players available, and we will have a number of stars of the past, present and future on the park

I dont have a problem with the commentators not expecting much of us - we are a difficult team to place and pick

That said, every year teams rise unexpectedly - no reason it cant be us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They lost more than they gained - Nic Newman and Gary Rohan out, Thurlow in, and a whole lot of pick swapping.
    Also Hannebery out and Menzel in.

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Also Hannebery out and Menzel in.
    Cheers, forgot about both.

Swans are paying $1.50 so are clear favourites but I think we'll win. We really need a huge effort from Trengove & English as ruck has been our weak point in the recent past but if they break even we should be able to get plenty of drive out of the centre.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers