Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Picken retiring ?

Stories on radio this afternoon a western bulldog will announce his retirement.
    I can only think it’s Liam, sad news for us fans, but your health and family are more important.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picken retiring ?

Honestly for his sake I hope so.

For our sake I would be pretty disappointed. I imagine in the fullness of time Liam will be a pretty revered character at our club.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad he couldn't just get those two more games.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on Facebook reckons the club have come out and said that's fake news, I personally didn't hear it though or the original story.

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard this morning about a Bulldog Senior playing retiring. It would be Picken if that was the case, surely. I worry more that he does go on and does more damage to himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Honestly for his sake I hope so.

For our sake I would be pretty disappointed. I imagine in the fullness of time Liam will be a pretty revered character at our club.
    Yeah agreed. Credit to him for giving it another go but 3 young kids and another 50 years to live.

9. Likes G-Mo77, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has earned an honourable retirement, it's Picken. But such a shame if his career ends on this note, but better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be Boyd or Webb though , Boyd’s back and Webb’s neck.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

We would miss Picko playing if he does call his retirement but I would understand considering his concussion issues which have affected him for a good year now. His health should be his prime concern now. He deserves a send off match if does choose to retire even if he doesn’t play in it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I heard this morning about a Bulldog Senior playing retiring. It would be Picken if that was the case, surely. I worry more that he does go on and does more damage to himself.
    Ricky Nixon tweeted it this morning.

From Nixon.
    Big Bulldog News could be on the agenda today with Liam Picken set to announce his future soon. I think common sense has prevailed. Your health is the new wealth
    Who knows?

Post Thanks / Like

Sad but sensible news.

So if true, who do we replace him with? Wonder if that will be announced too?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Sad but sensible news.

So if true, who do we replace him with? Wonder if that will be announced too?
    This might be an answer. It was written for Carlton and Docherty being out for the season. We have 3 weeks to use it if someone appeals, so it might account for the timing too:

A NEW AFL rule allowing clubs to sign previously listed players as Category A rookies will give Carlton until the eve of the 2019 season to replace injured co-captain Sam Docherty.

The Blues were dealt a significant blow on Monday, with Docherty expected to miss his second successive season after again rupturing the ACL on his troublesome left knee.

Previously, clubs couldn't replace players who had suffered season-ending injuries or who had unexpectedly retired after list lodgement deadlines had fallen.

However, the AFL's recently introduced pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules now enable clubs to replenish their lists with new signings through until March 15.

Carlton was among a host of clubs which already had one rookie spot available for an SSP signing after the trade and draft period, but can now move Docherty to its long-term injury list to create a second vacancy on its rookie list.

The rules give the Blues flexibility to potentially replace Docherty and have said they will explore the possibility of doing so in the future, though it's understood they are unlikely to make a call on signing any new players until after Christmas.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge shame if true - he is immortal.

Some things more important though.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Ricky was wrong yet again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Looks like Ricky was wrong yet again.