Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picken retiring ?

Tom Morris reporting Picken is retiring?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tom Browne reporting Picken is retiring?
    Club just announced on Twitter
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Club just announced on Twitter
    Sad day, loved Picken but best for his health

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picken calls time on his career

Western Bulldogs veteran Liam Picken has called an end to his AFL career.

One of the Club’s most popular and dedicated servants made the tough decision to walk away from the game due to ongoing concussion symptoms.

Picken has not played at AFL level since suffering a head injury in the 2018 JLT Community Series, despite valiant attempts to make a comeback over the last 12 months.

The 32-year-old told his team-mates today that he would retire from the game with 198 games to his name.

Picken’s career has been one of perseverance, dedication, absolute physical and mental application, courage, loyalty, professionalism and team spirit.

He comes from a strong football family – his dad Billy was a star at Collingwood, his brother Marcus spent time on the Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions playing lists, and his cousin Jonathon was a premiership player with the Lions.

After several pre-seasons training with the Magpies and then the Bulldogs, he finally got his chance as an AFL rookie at the end of 2008 after winning a VFL Best and Fairest with Williamstown.

He made his debut in 2009, and quickly established himself as one of the competition’s best taggers.

Later in his career he transformed into a successful midfielder/forward with strong goal sense, unrelenting competitiveness and impressive aerial ability.

He will be remembered most fondly by Bulldogs fans for his incredible on-field deeds in the 2016 finals series, where he kicked eight goals in four games, including three in the Grand Final win over Sydney.

“It’s never an easy thing to accept that one of the Club’s great servants will finish his career,” said Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge.

“For the duration of his career, Liam has embodied the core values we hold dear as a football club, and we will miss his presence greatly.

“We have always had a family-first mentality at the Bulldogs, and that should always be the overriding consideration when it comes to a player’s health and any impact that has on playing football.

“Liam can be immensely proud of his achievements. He is loved and admired within the Club, and universally respected by the whole football public, which is a true indication of the impression he has made on the game.”

Bulldogs Director of Football Chris Grant said the Club would continue to support Picken into his retirement.

“Liam has made a lasting impact on the Western Bulldogs and we will not forget his contribution,” he said.

“Over the last 12 months our focus has been to support Liam by providing him with the best medical care and ensuring his health is our number one priority.

“We will continue to provide off-field assistance for Liam to ensure he has the necessary support to return to full health, including his transition into the next chapter of his working career.”

6. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Liam! A great Bulldog! His 2016 final series I will never forget. That goal in the last quarter of the 2016 GF just brilliant. Good luck with whatever comes next.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Liam. A shame he couldn't get back and reach 200 games but will be a Bulldogs legend forever.

I'm glad the club gave him every opportunity to return. We will have a chance to bring someone in via the mid-season draft now if the club deems it necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep tough he couldn't get two more games.

Will always be remembered as winning the 'player of the finals series' in 2016.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news however I'm glad he's put his health first and I hope all of his symptoms resolve over time. Always a legend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Liam
    Let's all get to the Footy on Sunday to applaud a star of our Footy Club.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

You gave us everything in pure happiness Liam. May the rest of your life give you everything in pure happiness back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes dadsgirl16, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'm not crying, you're crying.

15. Likes S Coast Simon, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a fan I'm shattered. He's been one of my all time favorite players for the club I'm also relieved for him and happy that he's chosen his health over football. Hopefully he can get well and enjoy the time after football.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Liam, thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you gave the club. It was everything you had and then some.

I'm very sad it had to end this way for him, but he gave it every shot and I'm so relieved he's put his health first. I don't want to think about what might have happened if he had have taken another heavy head knock on field - especially given he would never have shirked a contest.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

well thats a big downer after such a great weekend. Glad he is looking after his health and hoping that he does make a full recovery

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Liam for everything you have given to the Bulldogs.
    You deserve nothing but the best life post football.
    All the best in your recovery, and I hope you are not lost to the club going forward. Your career and the way in which you comported yourself, at all times exemplifies the very best traits we should try and nurture in our club.