Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  58
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picken retiring ?

Well done Picken what a career. Will always be remembered as the man in September. Legend effort mate. All the best

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Liam was the inspiration behind the term "contested possession".

Thanks for the great memories and wishing you all the best for your health and future.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    How good were his Bevo years, after being pigeonholed as a limited back pocket plumber by the previous idiot coach - he was a match winner with elite hands in a marking contest and a very strong natural footy IQ. He was a brilliant mid sized forward who was vastly underrated until that glorious September 4 week run. Also how good was it to see someone finally stop Brent Harvey having a day out against us when Picko started his career.

All the best Liam, hope your long term health has not been compromised and may you get to enjoy many premiership reunions.
    His goals on Delideo when he had shut him out of the game were special too.

Post Thanks / Like

Term Club Champion / Legend gets bandied around far to easily now days, is this case though IMO it is so deserved and true.
    Picko in every essence you are a true champion / Legend of our club and the AFL, well done on a absolutely brilliant career - on and off the field.
    Last edited by KT31; 01-04-2019 at 10:15 PM.

StanleyD Guest

This is such sad news but I think the best decision for him. I wish him all the best for his ongoing recovery and can’t thank him enough for all his done for the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks angelopetraglia, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes chef, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There was an incident in the Sydney game (that year?) that summed him up.
    Late in the 4th quarter he contested a ball deep in the backline. He ran the entire length of the ground and ended up being the player who contested the ball for the inside 50 kick.
    One of the football shows highlighted just the amazing gut-busting effort it was to be able to run that hard late in the game and provide an option forward. It would have been missed otherwise. That summed him up for me, just willing to do the tough stuff without fanfare

Most of the commentary teams caught it on the night.

Its a sad day.

My wife and I told our 7 year old son (who may or may not have been named after the man himself...) and he was devastated.

Then I explained what was wrong with him, and I reminded him about the photo of Liam and his family out on the G post premiership, and simply said "he needs to stay healthy so that he can be with his family, and that's much more important than playing football."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Its a sad day.

My wife and I told our 7 year old son (who may or may not have been named after the man himself...) and he was devastated.

Then I explained what was wrong with him, and I reminded him about the photo of Liam and his family out on the G post premiership, and simply said "he needs to stay healthy so that he can be with his family, and that's much more important than playing football."
    Thank you!

Yes that's the one. Just gut-busting effort.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

JJ on his insta all class calling Liam the real norm smith.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

11. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A sad day indeed - easily my favourite player over the last few years. He epitomised what is was to be Bulldog 'tough but fair'.

All the best Liam for the future.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

13. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sad ending to a great career. Loved the way he went about it no matter what his role was

Post Thanks / Like

All the best for your future Liam, you have been a great clubman and a great player for the Dogs. Your efforts epitomised why we won the 2016 premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Picko tells his team mates here and an interview with Bob straight after.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Picko tells his team mates here and an interview with Bob straight after.
    Who’s cutting onions around here?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Its a sad day.

Lucky we had two Liam's at the time so you could fall back to Picko...
    "It's over. It's all over."