Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picken retiring ?

I’m not convinced Picken plays again but I’ve seen him doing a lot of running on the track with a few other boys most mornings. Definitely not the look of a guy about to pull the pin.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has said he's still getting headaches. Would love to see him reach his 200 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ricky Nixon thinks he will announce this week as Friday is deadline to replace players on the list.

Perhaps tonight during Jumper presentation.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ricky Nixon thinks he will announce this week as Friday is deadline to replace players on the list.

He got on and off the stage quickly tonight. They mentioned there would be a couple of announcements at the start of the night and I wondered if Picken would be one of them but nothing mentioned. We talked about Picko at length on the table I was sitting on
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm never going to put any credence in a sentence that begins with "Ricky Nixon thinks..."!

Besides there will also be another chance to add to the list after Friday via the mid season draft.

6. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Friday deadline is the best reason I’ve heard of why an announcement might come - but wouldn’t have thought they’d wait for Friday with the chance to salute him like the legend he is at the season opening.

Having said all this, I feel like it might be the clubs decision rather than his if it happens.

Very tough call, interested in others thoughts on whether he should stay or go if there is a high chance he won’t play this year?

To me, although I idolise him - we have to put the team first over a single player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    The Friday deadline is the best reason I’ve heard of why an announcement might come - but wouldn’t have thought they’d wait for Friday with the chance to salute him like the legend he is at the season opening.

Having said all this, I feel like it might be the clubs decision rather than his if it happens.

Very tough call, interested in others thoughts on whether he should stay or go if there is a high chance he won’t play this year?

To me, although I idolise him - we have to put the team first over a single player.
    how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing, especially if they are over 30

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing, especially if they are over 30
    Is age really the issue? The players health should be the consideration not his age.

Post Thanks / Like

He's contracted so it's not like we're saving cap space.

Anybody we sign now would be marginal at best so I'm not sure Picken retiring would have much (if any) discernible impact on our list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is age really the issue? The players health should be the consideration not his age.
    I don't think BAD meant it like that.

My view is as a club we owe it to Liam to see him through this and support him anyway possible. If that means keeping him on the list and paying his salary and ongoing medical costs so be it.

I'm sure we all feel that way.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I don't think BAD meant it like that.

My view is as a club we owe it to Liam to see him through this and support him anyway possible. If that means keeping him on the list and paying his salary and ongoing medical costs so be it.

I'm sure we all feel that way.
    I'm sure he didn't but why even make reference about the age of the player to start with?

Had he said "how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing?" without the "especially if they are over 30" I think makes for a more appropriate question
    To me it's definitely not a question about age, it's very much about if he is likely to recover so hopefully the club and player will make the right call.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure he didn't but why even make reference about the age of the player to start with?

Had he said "how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing?" without the "especially if they are over 30" I think makes for a more appropriate question
    To me it's definitely not a question about age, it's very much about if he is likely to recover so hopefully the club and player will make the right call.
    The reason I mentioned age is - Do you give a player who is younger more time to recover than an older player.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I mentioned age is - Do you give a player who is younger more time to recover than an older player.
    To me the age of the player is irrelevant given the extent of the injury.
    Do we just back the club and player to make the right call?

Post Thanks / Like

To me the age of the player is irrelevant given the extent of the injury.
    Do we just back the club and player to make the right call?
    I don’t think you can hand on heart say age is ever irrelevant. We trade to fill age gaps, we blame age on results and we take pride in age at certain times. In the AFL, age is always a factor. Not saying it’s right, just that it is.

Post Thanks / Like

He's going to be another Crossy, I am afraid. Pulling the pin is an expression not in his lexicon. Will not quit until he is show the door. The constant headaches thing is a real worry and the way he plays I can probably see it happening again, concussion I mean. But I do hope he can contribute for another season. Just I worry a bit about his health.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 15-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus