Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  58
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picken retiring ?

Thanks Liam for being a true Bulldog Legend. You will always be a Premiership player. Thank you for being such an important cog during the September to remember.

Good luck in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

An all-time Bulldogs legend.

The iconic image of Picko running into the goal as 'the dam wall is broken' will go down in folklore.

Enjoy retirement, you've earned it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad, but common sense.

A legend of our club forever. I hope he has a long and terrific retirement. Sucked every possible ounce of ability out of himself.

It's over. It's all over.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 01-04-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Liam.

Left it all on the field and played the game the Bulldog way, tough & uncompromising! His month of footy at the end of '16 was the thing of dreams and he was a huge reason why we were taken on a dream run.

I hope he enjoys the next phase of his life.

Post Thanks / Like

Was a tremendous player but seems like such a likeable character. We've all been preparing for it, but it's still a massive blow.

Another teary GF replay awaits.

Thanks Liam
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

6. Likes Bulldog Revolution, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wise call Picko. Will never forget your heroics in the 2016 final series. A true gladiator for the doggies over many years.

8. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Liam Picken. Your mark in the GF was a symbol of your mercurial efforts to rise above the mediocracy. You did yourself, your family and club proud with your career and you leave the game better for your participation.

10. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    well thats a big downer after such a great weekend. Glad he is looking after his health and hoping that he does make a full recovery
    Personally I'm more relieved than sad. I'd hate to see something happen to him that impacted or worsened his long term health. It's the fate of all players to retire and when they've given the kind of service and dedication that Picken has given then all that's left is to wish them the best for their post AFL life.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, merantau, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Thank you Liam Picken. Your mark in the GF was a symbol of your mercurial efforts to rise above the mediocracy. You did yourself, your family and club proud with your career and you leave the game better for your participation.
    There was an incident in the Sydney game (that year?) that summed him up.
    Late in the 4th quarter he contested a ball deep in the backline. He ran the entire length of the ground and ended up being the player who contested the ball for the inside 50 kick.
    One of the football shows highlighted just the amazing gut-busting effort it was to be able to run that hard late in the game and provide an option forward. It would have been missed otherwise. That summed him up for me, just willing to do the tough stuff without fanfare
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Bulldog Revolution, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An era ends and a new one begins with Bailey Smith, Schache and Naughton. The Bont, as is his want stradles both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There was an incident in the Sydney game (that year?) that summed him up.
    Late in the 4th quarter he contested a ball deep in the backline. He ran the entire length of the ground and ended up being the player who contested the ball for the inside 50 kick.
    One of the football shows highlighted just the amazing gut-busting effort it was to be able to run that hard late in the game and provide an option forward. It would have been missed otherwise. That summed him up for me, just willing to do the tough stuff without fanfare
    What a man. A larger than life will hidden behind a shaggy hairstyle and a self effacing manner.

17. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful career . Thankyou Liam, and all the best .
    Never forget the 16 finals series and that goal .

19. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Without Picken I don't think we win in 2016. That's how much of an impact he had that September. He did things I didn't think he was capable of. Will never ever forget. I love him and I don't use that word lightly.

21. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How good were his Bevo years, after being pigeonholed as a limited back pocket plumber by the previous idiot coach - he was a match winner with elite hands in a marking contest and a very strong natural footy IQ. He was a brilliant mid sized forward who was vastly underrated until that glorious September 4 week run. Also how good was it to see someone finally stop Brent Harvey having a day out against us when Picko started his career.

All the best Liam, hope your long term health has not been compromised and may you get to enjoy many premiership reunions.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

23. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I echo most of the thoughts offered here

A universally loved teammate, a feared and respected opponent - the truest of bulldogs

A legend!

25. Likes merantau liked this post