Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  58
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picken retiring ?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Who’s cutting onions around here?
    That's me. I was making a lasagne, for one.

I didn't know the fumes would travel through the Internet. My bad.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone at the Club, every member, every supporter, every football lover who got on board for the ride in the 2016 Finals Campaign, owes Liam a huge debt of gratitude. He lit up the Finals series with his pedal to the metal football.
    Enjoy your retirement Liam. Your place in the pantheon of Bulldog Champions is locked in. You gave your all for us. We will never forget you. In years to come Bulldog supporters will tell their grandchildren: "Liam Picken? I saw him play!" Thank you so much.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Thank you Liam, thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you gave the club. It was everything you had and then some.

I'm very sad it had to end this way for him, but he gave it every shot and I'm so relieved he's put his health first. I don't want to think about what might have happened if he had have taken another heavy head knock on field - especially given he would never have shirked a contest.
    Perfect words-exactly my sentiments. My fave dogs player ever retiring. Sad and happy simultaneously. Looking forward to highlights reel. I think Liam is our current day player, apart from Libba jnr, that epitomises the bulldog spirit.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

4. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everything Picko. You embody the doggies in every way.

Good luck with everything that comes next whatever you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr September.

One of my favourite players and ends his career as one of our best 50 players (at least as far as my young memory goes) who made it count when it mattered most. Hope he enjoys retirement but that we can keep him involved in some capacity at the club if he’s so inclined.

Well done on a terrific career Picko, thanks for the memories.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the all time champions.

Best of luck in the future
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

165,000 k's in the car. Yeah, Balmoral is quite a way.
    I feel gutted quite frankly because we are killing it on the field now and things seem to be coming together.
    But considering the average AFL player only gets 65 games and not a wiff of a final, can't ask for much more.
    This is a guy who gave it all. Thanks Liam.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The definition of tough, the definition of brave, the definition of determination.

He was, and always will be, our spirit of '16.

Go well, Liam, the true believers will always hold you in our hearts.

10. Thanks Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Likes josie, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    165,000 k's in the car. Yeah, Balmoral is quite a way.
    I feel gutted quite frankly because we are killing it on the field now and things seem to be coming together.
    But considering the average AFL player only gets 65 games and not a wiff of a final, can't ask for much more.
    This is a guy who gave it all. Thanks Liam.
    Once upon we sent champs of the club out on days like today without being add 'they're a premiership player'. Let alone MVP in a premiership campaign. It's a little easier (not much) to take knowing his high place in our history. I hope that if he ever gets a bad headache, instead of popping a couple of panadol the wife and kids place his premiership medal around his neck and remembering the joy he's given us all be the panacea to the pain.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    The definition of tough, the definition of brave, the definition of determination.

He was, and always will be, our spirit of '16.

Go well, Liam, the true believers will always hold you in our hearts.
    A caller on talk back radio said today, if the Westernbulldogs were a person, they would be be Liam.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Scraggers, N/A, hujsh, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picken from behind. Picken from behind. Immortal!

15. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brought so much joy to so many. Liam epitomises what it is to be the boys of the Bulldog breed.

He may carry some disappointment in not being able to play on but his legacy is well and truly secure at the Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Picken from behind. Picken from behind. Immortal!
    This is one moment from the GF I’ve revisited quite a bit for different reasons - associating bits of play with the coverage and trying to remember what I felt in that moment.

Why did Cometti repeat ‘Picken from behind?’ The littlest man in the threesome was pure Dennis, and it’s an extraordinary mark, but I didn’t react to it a great deal at the time....it was just so tense. In the back of my mind I was believing this was one of the classic grand finals and that was perhaps another one of its moments.

It lacked a late lead change like 18 or sealer like 12, but those last 3 minutes when we saw Bevo appear on the boundary were absolute bliss - I still remember vividly the ball hitting Picko’s palms in the goal square and feeling what felt an age wondering how the ball would bounce.

He said it well today - anything can happen.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A caller on talk back radio said today, if the Westernbulldogs were a person, they would be be Liam.
    Thanks for sharing that. Can't agree more. Sort of a weird 'highlight' in a way, but I recall when we were getting absolutely hammered under Bmac and Liam was the one guy who would just never say die. We would be 50 points down and he'd still be chasing and crashing around. We lost by 50 to North and he still tagged Brent Harvey like it was a final. He was about the only player who could rattle guys before Hall joined us. Anyone who saw Liam jogging over to play beside them knew they were in for a sh** day. As a keen Bulldogs fan one interest in lingering late in a drubbing is to see who remains defiant. Liam was always one of those.

!!!Oh the joy at that mark in the Eagles prelim, surrounded by three West Coast players and somehow protected the drop. That was one of my LP highlights because beating Eagles over there is so hard.

I think of Matty Robbins, not able to find his own address at age 30 something and Pickers with his headaches. It can be a brutal game on the brain.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 02-04-2019 at 01:30 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

19. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    'm not crying, you're crying.
    I've just got some dust in my eye.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.