Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We’ll find ways to score, says Bontempelli

Link

Finding different avenues to goal will be a focus for the Western Bulldogs in 2019.

Last season, the Bulldogs at times struggled to impact the scoreboard – finishing 15th for points scored, ahead of just Fremantle, Carlton and the Gold Coast Suns.

But it’s something the Dogs are determined to improve, according to vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli.

“In times gone by, we’ve often found we’ve got quite good depth throughout our midfield,” the midfielder told SEN Breakfast.

“We’ve always played a couple of midfielders forward and I think we’ve grown in that part probably this pre-season.

“But we’ve never relied on one or two to kick our goals. I think that’s been a trait of ours as a football club for a number of years now, that we’ve always been able to find varied avenues to goal.

“Particularly later in the year last year when we put some of our best football together, that was the case. I think we ended up with quite a few scorers in terms of goals kicked, around that eight, nine, 10 mark which is always a positive for us.

Just three players – Billy Gowers (26), Bontempelli (22) and Mitch Wallis (20) – kicked 20 or more goals last season.

But it was a similar story for the Dogs in 2016, who finished 12th for points scored at the end of the home-and-away season, with four players kicking 20 or more goals for the year.

Bontempelli believes it will be important for the Dogs to continue to share the load through multiple forward options in 2019.

“We’ll look for a number of different avenues for goals, but I reckon keep your eye out for one or two players to show their ability and nous around goal,” he said.

“Someone like Sammy Lloyd, who’s come across from Richmond, has shown his ability to kick goals as a small forward but then also play as a midfielder. He’s one that’s impressed… being a little bit older and more mature.”

“We’ve got a couple of younger players who have really sort of shown their growth in the short term.

“Particularly someone like Timmy English at the minute, who going into his third season is still growing and developing. He’s spent a bit of time forward in this pre-season and he’s shown his capability to take marks and kick goals there.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Mofra, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We’ll find ways to score, says Bontempelli

To be fair, I would be surprised (very surprised!) if we didn't even score!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how Billy Gowers plays in 2019 with a fit Dickson, plus Lloyd in the team. Can they all play together?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Billy Gowers plays in 2019 with a fit Dickson, plus Lloyd in the team. Can they all play together?
    Id be shocked if Dickson plays more than half a dozen games for the year. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My memory isn’t great but didn’t Gowers start pushing into the midfield towards the end of the year? Either way I think Gowers is best 22 his upward trajection during the year was unbelievable. With another pre season under his belt I’m certain he’ll find a spot.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My memory isn’t great but didn’t Gowers start pushing into the midfield towards the end of the year? Either way I think Gowers is best 22 his upward trajection during the year was unbelievable. With another pre season under his belt I’m certain he’ll find a spot.
    I think it's a great thing for us that he is versatile and yes he did push into the midfield later in the year and I thought he performed strongly. I suspect he will start this year as a forward again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think that was mostly through necessity as we had no fit midfielders left.

He will likely revert to being pretty much a full time forward this year with the odd 5 minute burst in the midfield if we need to inject a bit of aggression.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think that was mostly through necessity as we had no fit midfielders left.

He will likely revert to being pretty much a full time forward this year with the odd 5 minute burst in the midfield if we need to inject a bit of aggression.
    This is how I see it.
    I suspect we get goals from Lloyd and a modest increase from Gowers and Schache. Bont may get more minutes forward too as he's clearly our best forward and was second in our goalkicking as a part-timer.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We will find a way of keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Dickson, Lloyd, Schache, Gowers, Wallis and Bontempelli will be our main avenue towards kicking a good score. I think Richards might push forward as well and Trengove will need to contribute.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the skipper in waiting's right. I don't care to revisit those grim goalless halves we trotted out with regularity last year.

Whether we can remain semi-fit is the kicker. If nothing else our merry go round policy inside forward fifty should make it tricky for opposition backs.
    Last edited by Rocket Science; 19-02-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    This is how I see it.
    I suspect we get goals from Lloyd and a modest increase from Gowers and Schache. Bont may get more minutes forward too as he's clearly our best forward and was second in our goalkicking as a part-timer.
    Bont's best goalkicking came late in the season, when he was playing more midfield.

He is the most capable to be kicking goals running through the middle and from outside the arc.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Where does Dunkley sit in our forward aspirations. Has he got the craft?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Dunkley was already a forward and has now moved to the midfield. He is capable of taking a grab but his goal kicking skills need major improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Personally his best football came after being dropped, then coming back in a run with role then becoming the inside beast he was drafted for.

Last year we really seemed to spent the first 2/3rds of the season finding the best position for players. Dunkley and Williams I thought we impressive in the midfield late in the season.
    Hopefully if Bailey Dale has a better run with injury and with Lloyd and Caverra, and Greene pushing, we'll have some competition for spots.

Wallis would be on track for a 30 goal season as a full time forward which I think is his predominant role now too. The DFA / Clay Smith tough bastard in the F50 role.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TMoM (The Men of Mayhem) will reap many goals for JoS (Johnny on the Spot aka Jack out the back/Sweeper down the Ground).