Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Losing the faith/ a look in the rearview mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm racking my brains to remember which game that was and it must have frustrated him no end

Perhaps with Lloyd, Gowers and Dickson up forward the midfielders might be forced into lowering their eyes more.
    Found it - North in August last year. Quote from the clubs twitter feed below.

LB: We went in with a smaller forward line (in the second half). We forced ourselves to use the ball better.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the performance of our club over the past few years is an excellent example of how football is struggling with tension between some aspects of sport and corporatisation.

We are performing exceptionally well on the corporate and administrative side of things, but ironically the enabler to do so has suffered because we've put too much faith in the methods and people that enabled us in the first place.

There's varying levels of sophistication within the AFL industry, our level on and off the field enabled us to hit the pinnacle for a short time and reap financial benefits as a result (which is no mean feat, in fact, it's elite given the nature and the evenness of the competition), but wasn't sophisticated enough to ensure the game side and personnel side of things evolved to keep up or stay ahead of the times. Within a year, we were left with good financial performance - which I am grateful for - and a complete mess on the field. By complete mess, we won as many games in 2017 as Hawthorn did in 2009, and had a dramatic shift in list balance in 2018 that mitigates our position somewhat.

It troubles me that we haven't turned over coaching staff to the extent I believe we should have, and while I'm actually happy with our recruiting generally - and of key position players - I'm disappointed that we have thought over the course of the last couple of years unconventional set ups with a constantly changing 22, has been the way to go, over utilising ready made players in conventional positions (alongside others in conventional positions). Sure, young players got games but did so without selection pressure or really having to earn it, and I've never thought that was the best approach. Aiming to win is always the best way to go and you can't tell me that's been the objective of our coaching staff these past 12-18 months.

Last year I decided to take a break from attending games, as I wasn't sure doing so was making me happy. I still and will continue to be a member, but I can't honestly say I will return to attending games. At games I don't like to sit, and I don't want to stand at the facilities provided. I've found that being at home and watching for the most part in comfort is what I like to do. Now I'm in Vietnam, I've not ever felt so detached from the game, as you could all sympathise with WOOF is keeping me interested - and I thank you all for the efforts you put in to make that so.

So have I lost the faith? No. But I think there's a thesis to be written about sporting fans who witness a freak occurrence of success and an immediate medium to sharp decline thereafter. We've all done the reasons to death, my view is we just need to accept what we're dealing with as part of the cycle that is the byproduct of an over-hyped, increasingly shallow and highly competitive competition where highs are underrated, and lows are overexposed.
    Last edited by jeemak; 21-02-2019 at 03:30 AM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Dancin' Douggy, N/A, Twodogs, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think the performance of our club over the past few years is an excellent example of how football is struggling with tension between some aspects of sport and corporatisation.

We are performing exceptionally well on the corporate and administrative side of things, but ironically the enabler to do so has suffered because we've put too much faith in the methods and people that enabled us in the first place.

There's varying levels of sophistication within the AFL industry, our level on and off the field enabled us to hit the pinnacle for a short time and reap financial benefits as a result (which is no mean feat, in fact, it's elite given the nature and the evenness of the competition), but wasn't sophisticated enough to ensure the game side and personnel side of things evolved to keep up or stay ahead of the times. Within a year, we were left with good financial performance - which I am grateful for - and a complete mess on the field. By complete mess, we won as many games in 2017 as Hawthorn did in 2009, and had a dramatic shift in list balance in 2018 that mitigates our position somewhat.

It troubles me that we haven't turned over coaching staff to the extent I believe we should have, and while I'm actually happy with our recruiting generally - and of key position players - I'm disappointed that we have thought over the course of the last couple of years unconventional set ups with a constantly changing 22, has been the way to go, over utilising ready made players in conventional positions (alongside others in conventional positions). Sure, young players got games but did so without selection pressure or really having to earn it, and I've never thought that was the best approach. Aiming to win is always the best way to go and you can't tell me that's been the objective of our coaching staff these past 12-18 months.

Last year I decided to take a break from attending games, as I wasn't sure doing so was making me happy. I still and will continue to be a member, but I can't honestly say I will return to attending games. At games I don't like to sit, and I don't want to stand at the facilities provided. I've found that being at home and watching for the most part in comfort is what I like to do. Now I'm in Vietnam, I've not ever felt so detached from the game, as you could all sympathise with WOOF is keeping me interested - and I thank you all for the efforts you put in to make that so.

So have I lost the faith? No. But I think there's a thesis to be written about sporting fans who witness a freak occurrence of success and an immediate medium to sharp decline thereafter. We've all done the reasons to death, my view is we just need to accept what we're dealing with as part of the cycle that is the byproduct of an over-hyped, increasingly shallow and
    highly competitive competition where highs are underrated, and lows are overexposed.
    Thank you for your honest assessment highlighting the dramatic demise in the past two years. Our over reliance on the likes of Picken Liberatore Tom Boyd Roughead Clay Smith and Dickson in our Premiership year who for different reasons fell away in 2017/18, led to two frustrating years. This has been particularly evident in our midfield unit and attack. We badly lack on field leaders at the moment. The emergence of Naughton Richards English and Greene augers well for the future but at the moment we lack experienced quality match winners.

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I still have immense faith in Boyd as a decent young man, and a talented player. But this back issue of his screams all sorts of warnings.

Scoring is still the question mark to me that seems the obvious question mark.
    Disagree, and agree.

I;'ll be honest, I was against the Schache pick-up because it seemed so last minute and a desperate attempt to salvage something from the 2017 trade period and now I'm one of his biggest advocates.
    Sure he's not going to get himself suspended every third week because he's not a traditional 'aggressive' KPF but he covers so much ground for a guy his size he just presents and keeps presenting, something Boyd just doesn't / can't do.

I have zero faith in Boyd being a 'decent' KPF and think this year is already a write-off on the injury front.

I do think we have problems in the front half and 'solving it' in the short term means playing Bontempelli forword of the ball a lot which robs us in the midfield as he's the best inside-50 kick in our side.

Next best solution? Gowers as a permanent forward. He has swagger and attitude, we sorely need that.

As for Bevo - I think he experimented a lot last year and we played our best football once he seemed to 'find' combos and positions that worked. We go into 2019 knowing a lot more about the newer guys than we did at the start of 2018 and I expect a more settled line up and position selections this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    As for Bevo - I think he experimented a lot last year and we played our best football once he seemed to 'find' combos and positions that worked. We go into 2019 knowing a lot more about the newer guys than we did at the start of 2018 and I expect a more settled line up and position selections this year.
    I see the Bevo experimenting a big positive, a coach who is prepared to try something new in order to get the results. Sure, Wood up forward or JJ up forward didn't work. So what, I can see what Bevo was trying to do. We haven't been kicking goals, so he tried something different. It didn't work, so he readjusted.

This year we have more options and bringing in Lloyd, and a fit Dickson will help us up forward. I don't really want to see The Bont up forward for more than 30% of his time. We need him in the midfield and I agree Gowers is the other option up forward.

With Schache having another preseason up his belt, and settling into the club, he needs to become the dominant bigman forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Disagree, and agree.

I;'ll be honest, I was against the Schache pick-up because it seemed so last minute and a desperate attempt to salvage something from the 2017 trade period and now I'm one of his biggest advocates.
    Sure he's not going to get himself suspended every third week because he's not a traditional 'aggressive' KPF but he covers so much ground for a guy his size he just presents and keeps presenting, something Boyd just doesn't / can't do.

I have zero faith in Boyd being a 'decent' KPF and think this year is already a write-off on the injury front.

I do think we have problems in the front half and 'solving it' in the short term means playing Bontempelli forword of the ball a lot which robs us in the midfield as he's the best inside-50 kick in our side.

Next best solution? Gowers as a permanent forward. He has swagger and attitude, we sorely need that.

Brad Lynch. There's 30 on the list better on the half back flank now. But the Richmond game up forward he showed that burst pace, was very good in traffic (hands/side step), tackling and goal kicking. If he can replicate that across this year, we've found our quick (hopefully high pressure) small forward.

I understand most re Boyd. But I strongly back my personal picks until the end. Be it Eagleton, Jarrad Grant or Tom Boyd. It's not usually an easy, popular thing to do. But I'm loyal to the end. Which might not be a long way off if he's missing 12-18 months with a back injury that we can't fix. I worked with a lot of coppers with not treatable back injuries, and it looks bloody hard to go through. Most ended up at a desk or forced ill health retirement. Seeing them up close, I can't imagine them then playing a contact sport. If we can't get on top of it soon with Tom, my life experience makes me think his career as it a serious cross road. I hope our medico's can turn it around. Sure the huge salary saving could let us raid a seriously good free agent, but I'd prefer to see Tom reach his potential. But I won't bet on it right now. But my fingers are crossed hard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad Lynch. There's 30 on the list better on the half back flank now. But the Richmond game up forward he showed that burst pace, was very good in traffic (hands/side step), tackling and goal kicking. If he can replicate that across this year, we've found our quick (hopefully high pressure) small forward.

I understand most re Boyd. But I strongly back my personal picks until the end. Be it Eagleton, Jarrad Grant or Tom Boyd. It's not usually an easy, popular thing to do. But I'm loyal to the end. Which might not be a long way off if he's missing 12-18 months with a back injury that we can't fix. I worked with a lot of coppers with not treatable back injuries, and it looks bloody hard to go through. Most ended up at a desk or forced ill health retirement. Seeing them up close, I can't imagine them then playing a contact sport. If we can't get on top of it soon with Tom, my life experience makes me think his career as it a serious cross road. I hope our medico's can turn it around. Sure the huge salary saving could let us raid a seriously good free agent, but I'd prefer to see Tom reach his potential. But I won't bet on it right now. But my fingers are crossed hard.
    Regrading bad backs. My dad had really bad back problems but he was a real "suck it up sweetheart" type and he never complained. Basically the only time I ever saw him look even close to being annoyed/upset/angry about was when my son and I would play kick to kick and his back just wouldn't let him go at the ball. Don't underestimate the competitive juices in some people. Play now, worry later!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

But BT, if he can't play forward AND back, then he just isn't going to play.

I am not sure about '30 better' than him off half back - he would certainly be in the mix for a defensive role - but he is certainly not a walk-up as a forward. If Fergus plays, if Lipinski plays, if Lloyd plays, if Cavarro plays, if Dickson plays, if Wallis plays forward...where exactly does Lynch fit in as a forward?

He is going to have to prove that he is capable of doing it at both ends - and even more importantly, taking a turn in the midfield - if he wants to play AFL footy.

Now, I am 100% not saying he was 'gifted' games in 2018 - but teams are always harder to get OUT of than they are to break IN to...he got in the side as we were playing OK and held his position (to some extent) because of that. He is another of our players who has shown enough to make us all think we might just maybe kinda have 'SOMETHING', without actually proving ANYTHING. Very interested to see how his season goes.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But BT, if he can't play forward AND back, then he just isn't going to play.

I am not sure about '30 better' than him off half back - he would certainly be in the mix for a defensive role - but he is certainly not a walk-up as a forward. If Fergus plays, if Lipinski plays, if Lloyd plays, if Cavarro plays, if Dickson plays, if Wallis plays forward...where exactly does Lynch fit in as a forward?

He is going to have to prove that he is capable of doing it at both ends - and even more importantly, taking a turn in the midfield - if he wants to play AFL footy.

Now, I am 100% not saying he was 'gifted' games in 2018 - but teams are always harder to get OUT of than they are to break IN to...he got in the side as we were playing OK and held his position (to some extent) because of that. He is another of our players who has shown enough to make us all think we might just maybe kinda have 'SOMETHING', without actually proving ANYTHING. Very interested to see how his season goes.
    There's some good points. My 30 players was a throw away line, it's more like 7-8 which is a little problematic if we don't get injuries... (Touch wood). My concern with him was after starting well in the team, opposition teams worked him out pretty quickly as a HBF and he didn't have a plan b in his tool kit then. He probably should've been dropped, but we had no one in the cupboard so it was maybe good that he got a few more. Maybe he's worked on that plan b over summer, hopefully so. For me, ahead in the queue at HBF is Daniel, JJ (inj), Suckling, Crozier, Duryea, Richards, Williams etc.

I think that very, very sample size as a forward was interesting to see if he can replicate that, with a plan b if opposition teams shut him down again. With his raw speed and neat disposal, maybe taking turn at high half forward and wing might be where he needs to get to. He's certainly one of the more curious players to watch this year, I've not read anything about where/which group he's training with so far. Certainly where his best spot in the afl team seems an open question.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023