Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which position for versatile Dogs?

Link

EVERY season certain players put their hand up for a new role.

And every season coaches are presented with an opportunity to try new things.

AFL.com.au’s reporters look at the players who could be presented with a new challenge in 2019 and make the call on that player's best position.

Western Bulldogs

Taylor Duryea: Used more as a forward later in his time at Hawthorn, the dual premiership defender has been training down back since arriving at Whitten Oval. Can provide leadership in a young defence that includes Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams and Zaine Cordy. Will also link up with former teammate Matt Suckling.

Verdict: Small defender

Jackson Trengove: Spent 29 per cent of 2018 as a ruckman and that could increase with the departure of Jordan Roughead and Tom Campbell, and the injury concerns around Tom Boyd. With Tim English poised to claim the No.1 mantle, Trengove's flexibility would also allow him to partner Josh Schache as a marking option in Boyd's absence in attack after the majority of last season as a defender.

Verdict: Everywhere man who will pinch-hit in the ruck.

Ed Richards: His debut season consisted of two distinct halves. Spent his first 10 games as a dedicated half-back, before a genuine split between forward, midfield and defence to finish the year. Expect him to find a home on the wing this season as he builds his endurance base.

Verdict: Winger with exquisite ball use.

*Compiled by AFL reporter Mitch Cleary
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

If you were coach, what would you do?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm concerned about Trengove's ability forward but he's was our best ruckman last year so has to lay there with English.

I really like Richards on the wing and Duryea plays back for mine. JJ won't make round 1.

Not mentioned in the article: Williams - mid rotations. Wallis - mostly forward. Lloyd high forward resting deep forward, Gowers deep forward swapping with Lloyd.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the OP, the title I was what I'm bumping.

To me today, I thought some guys looked really confused by the fact they're forced to play in numerous roles, including inside midfield where we already have plenty of depth.

The last few years watching Webb transition from HBF with a great left kick, to not an AFEL inside mid and lamenting in a forward pocket has been tough. Plus Boyd & Schache rucking. Today I thought many players looked a bit confused:

- Richards seems a little lost.
    - Lippa wasn't impacting the game inside where his leg speed is exposed, but when put back to a role he can play well at half forward he got better.
    - I'm not sure why we were told all preseason Williams was training with the mids. Has he played much midfield minutes? I'm not sure what's going on his head to be honest.
    - McLean rose to the top tier of players last year in the midfield. Now we seem to shove him wherever, even if his output drops below zero.

Is the mandated multiple role playing thing still the right horse to be betting on? I understand the huge advantage to the coach on game day to have ultra flexible players. But like everything, there's a price to be paid for the policy.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 25-05-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter where Richards plays if he refuses to hold a single mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Forget the OP, the title I was what I'm bumping.

To me today, I thought some guys looked really confused by the fact they're forced to play in numerous roles, including inside midfield where we already have plenty of depth.

The last few years watching Webb transition from HBF with a great left kick, to not an AFEL inside mid and lamenting in a forward pocket has been tough. Plus Boyd & Schache rucking. Today I thought many players looked a bit confused:

- Richards seems a little lost.
    - Lippa wasn't impacting the game inside where his leg speed is exposed, but when put back to a role he can play well at half forward he got better.
    - I'm not sure why we were told all preseason Williams was training with the mids. Has he played much midfield minutes? I'm not sure what's going on his head to be honest.
    - McLean rose to the top tier of players last year in the midfield. Now we seem to shove him wherever, even if his output drops below zero.

Is the mandated multiple role playing thing still the right horse to be betting on? I understand the huge advantage to the coach on game day to have ultra flexible players. But like everything, there's a price to be paid for the policy.
    I'm all for a set structure with one or two swingmen. I'd rather have flexibility with tall play back or forward options and run an extra mid than have half the team playing out of position.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm all for a set structure with one or two swingmen. I'd rather have flexibility with tall play back or forward options and run an extra mid than have half the team playing out of position.
    When you are getting done, you have to move players around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Like on to Higgins? Or any other midfielder that needs shutting down.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Like on to Higgins? Or any other midfielder that needs shutting down.
    Who can do that role?

Post Thanks / Like

Who can do that role?
    Wallis & Libba have tagged at AFL level before, Dunkley could too.

Post Thanks / Like

Who can do that role?
    I reckon Libba could.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I reckon Libba could.
    He seemed to cope alright tagging Kennedy in the Grand Final.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are players in our team who obviously don't understand their role or are incapable of playing that role in the way that the coaches want. Whether its hubris from the coaches (we won a premiership so you must listen to us) or we are looking at a job that is only half done (and my dear old dad always told me never to show an idiot a job that is half done)

The fact of the matter is I am getting sick of watching us ship players out (Stringer, Roughhead, Dalhaus) who can actually play the game and replacing them with players half as talented (Because the coaches don't know how to handle them when it is actually the coaches' job to bring together different groups of people and get them to play as a team, anyone can sack them, that's no great acheivment-getting them to play at their maximum is the true art to coaching)

It's not the job of a coach to make life as simple as possible for themselves. It's getting the best out of a disparate group of players and if Bevo cant figure that out and we cant get him to see it then he has a short term future as a coach, not a long one.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer done his hammy. Dodged a bullet by getting him out. Not professional enough. Roughy, I get it. Great clubman. Keep Stringer? Insanity.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Stringer done his hammy. Dodged a bullet by getting him out. Not professional enough. Roughy, I get it. Great clubman. Keep Stringer? Insanity.
    Yep, it was never going to work