Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    At what stage does learning how to play other positions stop and players play the position they are suited to?
    They come after one,
    They come after all,
    They can't handle all,
    Lets go....

    Bob Murphy

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    At what stage does learning how to play other positions stop and players play the position they are suited to?
    Now. If Judy, the gun accounts manager, just had her 6th unfair dismissal claim since the boss made her HR manager to make the management team more flexible... Well, it would never have got passed one claim before the boss pulled their head out of their arse.

    Why can't most of our players be outstanding in one area? The SAS and commandos don't make their members enrol in the bugle program. Van Gogh wasn't told to make clay vases. Beethoven wasn't told to get better as an inside harmonica player. No one turned up to a Nick Cave gig and hoped he'd be doing the entire set playing the keytar.

    I understand flexibility. But the sport is counted in wins and losses. I don't see this policy helping the wins column, but I do see it playing a role in the losses column. To be really honest we are half pregnant with the policy. We have 7 or so inside mids playing which is impacted other areas of the ground. It's too many. So dial it back to normal levels and develop players into roles that accord to their strengthes, or back the policy in and trade Macrae, McLean and/or Dunkley. Why have these guys clogging the forward line. If the policy is right, we have too many flexible players who have value on the table table. They're worth more in trade than output. I don't agree with the policy, but if it's no going to change then other discussions need to be had.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  3. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Rocket Science liked this post
  4. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Now. If Judy, the gun accounts manager, just had her 6th unfair dismissal claim since the boss made her HR manager to make the management team more flexible... Well, it would never have got passed one claim before the boss pulled their head out of their arse.

    Why can't most of our players be outstanding in one area? The SAS and commandos don't make their members enrol in the bugle program. Van Gogh wasn't told to make clay vases. Beethoven wasn't told to get better as an inside harmonica player. No one turned up to a Nick Cave gig and hoped he'd be doing the entire set playing the keytar.

    I understand flexibility. But the sport is counted in wins and losses. I don't see this policy helping the wins column, but I do see it playing a role in the losses column. To be really honest we are half pregnant with the policy. We have 7 or so inside mids playing which is impacted other areas of the ground. It's too many. So dial it back to normal levels and develop players into roles that accord to their strengthes, or back the policy in and trade Macrae, McLean and/or Dunkley. Why have these guys clogging the forward line. If the policy is right, we have too many flexible players who have value on the table table. They're worth more in trade than output. I don't agree with the policy, but if it's no going to change then other discussions need to be had.
    Saint Nick could just turn up and stand there and the crowd would go wild.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    At what stage does learning how to play other positions stop and players play the position they are suited to?
    Which players do you feel are in the wrong position?
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Like to see Dureya played forward when he gets back from injury. Think he and Lloyd would work well together. Most he has ever kicked in a season is 6 ( checked ) but kicked a ripper earlier on and at least has the experience to stick to a plan / some smarts about the way he plays. Total speculation on my part.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Which players do you feel are in the wrong position?
    Richards forward of the ball for a start. He, and JJ, are the best run & carry players on our list. We need to play Richards to his strengths especially so early in his career. If he's not playing back, he can play as one of our wing rotations.

    Wally on ball had the largest clearance diffrential against him in the competition last year, but was one of our top 3 forwards in the second half of last year. Dunkley was a mediocre forward but posted elite midfield numbers in the back half of last year. Wallis started the season on ball, Dunkley forward. Madness.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Richards forward of the ball for a start. He, and JJ, are the best run & carry players on our list. We need to play Richards to his strengths especially so early in his career. If he's not playing back, he can play as one of our wing rotations.

    Wally on ball had the largest clearance differential against him in the competition last year, but was one of our top 3 forwards in the second half of last year. Dunkley was a mediocre forward but posted elite midfield numbers in the back half of last year. Wallis started the season on ball, Dunkley forward. Madness.
    How many guys do you want on the HBF. Richards is a 19 year old learning his craft. Many players start on the backline then get moved. eg Hahn, Griffen early on.

    * Wally and the rest of the mids play on ball and resting forward.

    * Dunkley has shown he is better mid, so now spending more time there. He started with us as a forward, got some mid time last year due to injury, but now getting alot more mid time as he is proving to be good at it.

    I don't understand why people are getting upset about a few players playing a role in order to try and find a goal kicker. We just don't have goal kickers (as you have pointed out). Naughton has gone forward because we lost Boyd and Schache is not yet up to it.

    I don't believe moving players around is the difference between winning and losing.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't understand why people are getting upset about a few players playing a role in order to try and find a goal kicker. We just don't have goal kickers (as you have pointed out). Naughton has gone forward because we lost Boyd and Schache is not yet up to it.

    I don't believe moving players around is the difference between winning and losing.
    Are people upset or just questioning the logic? I think it's the latter

    Easton Wood was moved forward but shuffled back when he didn't fire so I don't see why people can't question why we wouldn't return Richards to the back half knowing he goes very well there
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  11. Likes Mofra liked this post
  12. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many guys do you want on the HBF. Richards is a 19 year old learning his craft. Many players start on the backline then get moved. eg Hahn, Griffen early on.
    You missed this bit?

    If he's not playing back, he can play as one of our wing rotations.
    I actually prefer him on a wing because he delivers into the 50 so well, even though he was drafted as a rebounding defender.

    We need to play players to their strengths. Naughton being tried forward is good, but it's hardly taking away from his competitive advantage which is contested marking.
    Dunkley's ability to win the contested ball is fantastic, something he gets less chance to do forward of the ball.

    Wallys played predominantly on ball in the first 6 or so rounds, now is playing far more forward where he played well last year. My point is we abandoned something that was working and yes all these little things do add up during a game to affect the results. If they didn't, why bother even having coaches and gameplans?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  13. Likes bornadog liked this post
  14. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rosebud
    Posts
    6,794
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which position for versatile Dogs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Like to see Dureya played forward when he gets back from injury. Think he and Lloyd would work well together. Most he has ever kicked in a season is 6 ( checked ) but kicked a ripper earlier on and at least has the experience to stick to a plan / some smarts about the way he plays. Total speculation on my part.
    GD Dureya was played there in his last season at Hawthorn with limited success. Seems to love those long goals running up the ground coming off the backline.

  15. Likes Mofra liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •