Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If your life depended on it: Defender

A couple of years back I posted a thread about which Bulldogs player in your life time you would pick to have a shot at goal if your life depended on it. I went with Giansiracusa, and I think most did.

This time, a Buddy/Lockett/Carey/Brereton/Dunstall/Capper type is isolated on one Bulldogs player in D50. If they mark it, and likely score then it's life over. But you get to select one Bulldogs player, in your time time, to impact the contest either with supreme body work, physical brut strength, pressure - both physical and implied by their presence, long arms/reach to punch, leap and/or closing speed.

Which defender of ours do you rely on for your life?

Even I need some think time. Lake & Morris come to mind as recent life saving reliable defenders. I don't remember enough of Kennedy, but Dermie regularly talks about if there was a one on one with Kennedy he'd punch the ball in the contest, or punch him in the back of the head. Making him the hardest opponent he faced.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 21-02-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If your life depended on it: Defender

Rick Kennedy for mine. When he was on the ground, everyone stood tall. Toughest player I have ever seen. Jacko, a mad full forward in the 1980s said he use to try and intimidate any defenders playing on him but the only bloke he couldn't was Rick.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lakey's an appealing bet when in the mood but he's almost as likely to see you hang with a signature seagull moment.

Morris is more reliable and if he could bring the ball to ground you'd almost certainly live to see another day, but not immune to those freakish types getting a hold of him.

Love the Tits nomination ... if the game was being played and umpired in 1988.

Granty in his floating defender days deserves some serious love here.

But I'm going to go out on something of a limb here and say ... one Aaron Naughton.

Don't fail me son.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Love the Tits nomination ... if the game was being played and umpired in 1988.
    He would have to change his game style for the current period.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tits was my favourite player as a kid, I proudly wore no 8 on my back.

The question is a good one but given the scenario, I can't go past Moz even though he is giving up cms & kilos against a few of those listed above. He still has the best spoiling technique I've ever seen - if he doesn't hit the ball cleanly, his chest hits the core of the opposition without giving away a free, it's a hugely underrated aspect of his game.

I'd actually pick Granty over Lake if forced to choose next. Lake was phenomenal but it's a clutch scenario and Grant gets the nod for that reason alone. In a way he was so good everywhere that it actually hurt his legacy as never being remembered as one of the greatest ever in a single spot on the ground.

Lake could, on occasion, get burnt by forwards with a huge work load (e.g. Petrie in Archer's 300th, Buddy in the 09 elimination final, and he could never go with Fev).

One who should be in discussion - Kretiuk. If we're talking pound for pound he'd even be close to Moz, the guy was only 183cm and he used to take the monsters!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes bulldogtragic, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Tits was my favourite player as a kid, I proudly wore no 8 on my back.

The question is a good one but given the scenario, I can't go past Moz even though he is giving up cms & kilos against a few of those listed above. He still has the best spoiling technique I've ever seen - if he doesn't hit the ball cleanly, his chest hits the core of the opposition without giving away a free, it's a hugely underrated aspect of his game.

I'd actually pick Granty over Lake if forced to choose next. Lake was phenomenal but it's a clutch scenario and Grant gets the nod for that reason alone. In a way he was so good everywhere that it actually hurt his legacy as never being remembered as one of the greatest ever in a single spot on the ground.

Lake could, on occasion, get burnt by forwards with a huge work load (e.g. Petrie in Archer's 300th, Buddy in the 09 elimination final, and he could never go with Fev).

One who should be in discussion - Kretiuk. If we're talking pound for pound he'd even be close to Moz, the guy was only 183cm and he used to take the monsters!
    A few people seem to recall Buddy's brilliant 2009 final against us and attribute it as being against Lake.

However, Buddy kicked those early first half goals on Morris, who was asked to do the job because Tommy Williams was (not surprisingly) injured.

Lake was moved onto Buddy just before half time and really had the better of him from then on and continuously for the rest of his career.

On the question posed, I would think Chris Grant was our best backman who would cope with modern umpiring.

Kennedy was magnificent, when you could get away with a lot more scragging, but the nomination of Kretiuk has merit as he was seriously undersized and still did fantastically against the big forwards, while also being able to handle the smaller mobile players.

I recall him playing a brilliant game in the 1993 last round clash at Whitten oval against West Coast with an outstanding defensive performance on Peter Matera.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Guys it was the 2008 Qualifying and I agree with BJ. Why Morris was on Buddy I will never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Pretty good fullback was Crofty - he stitched up Carey a few times.

Going back a long time, (when I was a little kid), David Darcy (Luke's Dad) was a brilliant Fullback playing on some greats of the time like Peter Hudson, Doug Wade, Peter Mckenna and rarely had a bag kicked against him. Was also FB for the Victorian Side.

12. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In (about) 1982, Mark "Jacko" Jackson ran onto the Western Oval with his team (Melbourne?), and pranced down to the Geelong Road End goalsquare, where he proceeded to stand beside the goal umpire and let the Bulldog cheer squad know how awesome he was going to be today.

He then trotted backward to the top of the square, turned, and was met straight up the middle by Rick Kennedey's hip, shoulder, and elbow, all at full steam.

Jackson flew backwards, and landed on his back in the mud puddle in the middle of the square.

Kennedy then trotted slowly over him (long nylon stops and all) taking at least four steps on his prone form, and ambled up to introduce him self to the goal umpire, who'd watched it all unfold, and decided that as his official part in the game didn't start until the whistle blew, all he could do was shake RK's hand.

As a pimply faced 90 pound cheer squad member, I'll always remember the moment Rick Kennedy became an immortal in my eye's.

One of Jacko's few quiet days against us back then, regardless of the jumper he wore..

Cheers Rick.

NB

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, bornadog, Mofra, merantau, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lukas Markovic. I like to live dangerously.

16. Likes chef, bulldogtragic, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest if MY life depended on it, the only person I would trust would be me. And considering I played about 10 games with the Footscray little league team in the late 1970s, I reckon I qualify as a "Bulldogs player". To make sure of stopping said forward, I will be arming myself with an AK47 in one hand and a stressed black mamba in the other - no way Buddy is getting near the pill.

As a back up, I will also nominate Zaine Cordy and get him to unleash hell.
    Footscray member since 1980.

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Lukas Markovic. I like to live dangerously.
    Men.

Ready.

Aim.

Stop!!

Lukas Markovic got a cramp jogging to the contest, stopped and is now standing in the way of our firing squad and his guts are preventing a clear shot from all angles. We have to let Axe Man go. Until we meet again Axe Man. Until we meet again...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Dale but I'm definitely taking 2009-2010 Brian Lake. Hard to get past that game where he ruined John Anthony's career and possibly life for the most complete defensive performance I've ever seen.

I don't recall answering that sharpshooter question but I'm taking Dickson, 4th quarter Bont and 2009 home and away Shaun Higgins over Gia. Possibly even Will Minson too, who I'm pretty sure never missed a set shot.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Unabashed fan of Peter Foster in this space.

Dermott claims he was one of his hardest ever opponents.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian Lake, followed by Chris Grant.

I never saw Kennedy.