Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Statistical Analysis of The Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Beuts2Blame View Post
    Ryan Hargrave hasn't improved in this department for years.

2004: FF = 5 FA = 15 Total = -10
    2005: FF = 10 FA = 19 Total = -9
    2006: FF = 13 FA = 29 Total = -16 (Worst at the club)
    2007: FF = 15 FA = 34 Total = -19 (Worst at the club and the worst for a defender in the league)
    Interesting....do you have his 'clanger' or 'turnover' stats as well?

I sure he's a lovely bloke etc and adds value somewhere, but his contribution is too subtle for me, and also for those who judge the best players each week since his name never appears there. I wonder whether we'll see him play a different position this year...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    Interesting....do you have his 'clanger' or 'turnover' stats as well?

I sure he's a lovely bloke etc and adds value somewhere, but his contribution is too subtle for me, and also for those who judge the best players each week since his name never appears there. I wonder whether we'll see him play a different position this year...
    Hargrave played the most minutes on ground of any Bulldog. He conceded 35 Goals for the season. He pick up the most 'groundball gets' in the defence 50 for the Bulldogs.

His kicking efficiency was %80.2. Which is middle of the range. Put this in perspective McMahon was %75 and Gilbee %85.

He really needs to work on his contested marking. Taking only 32 contested marks in 119 games.

His spoiling was also slightly down in 2007 compared to his 2005/2006 numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Hargrave jump across the packs and take marks. I don't really have a reason why but i can just see him doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't really have a reason why but i can just see him doing it.
    I reckon in his 100+ games he would have done it at least once by now. He's just a poor pack mark. Which is why they are focusing on his strengths. Like his running ability. I reckon we will see him a lot further up the ground this year.

Post Thanks / Like

He can definitely run off his man and kick the unexpected goal. He seems to prefer doing that to defending. He kicked a killer snap from out of a pack against WCE in 2006 and a similar effort against Port Adelaide that year.

But I personally can't see him taking big contested marks no matter where you play him.

The 'most minutes on the ground' stat suggests he what, he doesn't get injured? Or he's doing a better job than Morris, Lake, et al in the backline? Baffles me a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post

The 'most minutes on the ground' stat suggests he what, he doesn't get injured? Or he's doing a better job than Morris, Lake, et al in the backline? Baffles me a bit.
    He was only benched 9 times all year. Harris was only benched 4 times all year. But Harris missed 2 matches and Morris also missed some so Hargrave topped the time on ground stat. Doesn't really mean much at all.

Post Thanks / Like

You've got all the answers Beuts!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beuts2Blame View Post
    He was only benched 9 times all year. Harris was only benched 4 times all year. But Harris missed 2 matches and Morris also missed some so Hargrave topped the time on ground stat. Doesn't really mean much at all.
    Helps explain the free kick stat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Helps explain the free kick stat
    I suppose when you give away 2 free kicks to your 1 free kick for every game then the more you play the worse the stat gets.