Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

According to Blight ( I have no respect for him), he ranks Bevo as 4th most under pressure as follows:

1. Alan Richardson (St Kilda)“That’s just fact.”

2. Brendon Bolton (Carlton)
    “If you go 14th, 16th, 18th, 17th - you have got to see some movement somewhere.”

3. Ross Lyon (Fremantle)
    “If he sits around those and gets six or seven wins again, I think that Ross would be in trouble.”

4. Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs)
    “Maybe your turn is up, and it’s time to move on.
    As far as I am concerned we need to perform, of course a given, but he still has plenty to give this club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    According to Blight ( I have no respect for him), he ranks Bevo as 4th most under pressure as follows:

As far as I am concerned we need to perform, of course a given, but he still has plenty to give this club.
    And his mate Ken Hinkley is not in this top 4??

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Can't stand Blight, he is a real dickhead with the things he says. Whately just loves him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Surely under more pressure than Bevo (Bulldogs the youngest side vs 22 opponents, etc etc)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Looks like he basically picked the bottom 4 excluding the Suns. Not exactly world class journalism.

Post Thanks / Like

One mans opinion who really cares won't matter when we make top 6 anyway!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/. He will be under a little bit of pressure, but he is one of only 3 coaches to win a premiership in the last 3 years.

2/. I think we will win early games (draw is pretty favourable) and unless you LOSE early you don't end up under pressure...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes strebla, Eastdog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Blight is right to ask the question if Bevo should be under pressure to have the team performing even though I believe Bevo is as safe as houses.

IF we don't win enough games or just play poorly then given our more than favorable draw, our strong list and the fact that we have rid ourselves of a number of distracted players then we should be under the microscope.
    We can't use players being distracted from the flag and injuries as permanent excuses for falling short on expectations.
    That time has past and expectations should be that we will make a significant improvement this year.
    There are no more soft landings for us and it's time for the club to get back on track.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is a premiership coach. If we make the finals we won’t be talking about whether his job is safe but if not then will talk again.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    One mans opinion who really cares won't matter when we make top 6 anyway!!!
    Top 6 would be great considering what we have done the last 2 years.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Another poor year and yes pressure will start mounting especially from the supporter base. I get the feeling some supporters are already frustrated with the teams fall from grace.
    I hope his choice to back in his assistants doesn’t backfire on him.

For other coaches under more pressure not on the list especially if they miss finals- Don Pyke, Leon Cameron, John Worsfold, Brad Scott, Ken Hinkley, Chris Scott.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that if we don’t perform and get to top 8 this year Bevo will have an uncomfortable preseason in 2020. But he is safe this year as a premiership buys you a few years.

My frustration is I really think after winning the cup he got a little ahead of himself (maybe more than the players) I hope he goes back to playing the players in the spots that took us to glory. I don’t care if they can can play multiple positions. If your winning the one your picked for you don’t need a second posistion. That said I really don’t think Bevo has a plan B as he seems to react slowly in game day. This may have been due to the age group to be fair.

We still love him anyway but we need to get back to basics and back up the ladder
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

17. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think he is under pressure, expectations rise when you win a premiership and he has failed to back that up. There will always be a perception that the group should be doing better than it is given it just won a flag

Whether that's fair or not is another question
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

optically it looks like a fall from grace, those who follow the club understand the circumstances. So whilst I think the media have an angle - and the right - to ask questions about it, that’s all it is.

His job is probably one of the safest in the sport I’d have thought - even another poor year, which I’m predicting, would not change that.

He clearly changed the game plan in 2017 and the list over 17/18. I imagine he’s working to a 3-5 year plan and is managing he club’s expectations the whole way.

I’ve just finished the wink from the universe book which gives a lot of insight into his thinking and assessment of the team. I’m hindsight it’s easy to see the way our list changed, but everything is easy in hindsight.

20. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar to others, I believe he'll feel the heat if we lose games badly early on - but Blight's comment is a lazy one ignoring late season form.

The Sydney game feels similar to the Crows game in 08 (Johnno's 300th) I felt if we'd lost that, 08 might've turned out a bit differently.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs