Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Stop sitting on the fence!

Yes it’s time to go. You are not as good as you think you are Bevo . Not as clever as you think you are ether. You got lucky in 2016. But really put that aside you have been disappointing and lack the ability to think on game day.
    Lucky. Really. How was that lucky? He was able to transform the team to suit his game style. He executed that brilliantly. Sure there are elements of luck but would hardly call winning the flag from 7th lucky.

You can't put the fact that he won us a flag aside. It is a fact and he was brilliant in that period. Understand that our expectations were high after the flag and that we are disappointed in the team and the coaching team's performance since, but you just can't brush a premiership aside. Maybe it is taking the current crop of players longer to adapt to his game style, maybe Bevo also needs to be more flexible in his approach and not try and be as creative. I am happy to see how he goes this year and reassess at year's end.

2. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I dont think its time to go, but it is time to start questioning whether the message is getting through and whether the players are listening. The list has deficiencies, but it is essentially a talented list. 2017 was a free pass; 2018 injury and attitude affected; 2019 and he is running out of excuses. Should have beaten GCS; Had chances to beat the Pies; No excuses today, we were putrid.
    The quality of our list is questionable and has been for the past 3 years. We are too heavy reliant on the likes of Bont Libba and Macrae. Regulars like Hunter Dunkley and Wallis have very poor disposal. Our forward line is probably the worst in the competition.
    Without the likes of Morris Picken Dahlhaus and Roughead there is a lack of onfield leadership. Recruitment also requires urgent attention. You cannot hope to improve by reverting to recruiting fringe players from other Clubs which includes Lloyd Gowers Duryea Schache and Suckling. Take a look at the Geelong side today on the art of recruitment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The quality of our list is questionable and has been for the past 3 years. We are too heavy reliant on the likes of Bont Libba and Macrae. Regulars like Hunter Dunkley and Wallis have very poor disposal. Our forward line is probably the worst in the competition.
    Without the likes of Morris Picken Dahlhaus and Roughead there is a lack of onfield leadership. Recruitment also requires urgent attention. You cannot hope to improve by reverting to recruiting fringe players from other Clubs which includes Lloyd Gowers Duryea Schache and Suckling. Take a look at the Geelong side today on the art of recruitment
    Schache is a former number two pick and only 21 years old - let;s give him a go, Suckling has been an excellent pickup, jury out on Duryea and Lloyd and Gowers leading our miserable goal kicking.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Lucky. Really. How was that lucky? He was able to transform the team to suit his game style. He executed that brilliantly. Sure there are elements of luck but would hardly call winning the flag from 7th lucky.

You can't put the fact that he won us a flag aside. It is a fact and he was brilliant in that period. Understand that our expectations were high after the flag and that we are disappointed in the team and the coaching team's performance since, but you just can't brush a premiership aside. Maybe it is taking the current crop of players longer to adapt to his game style, maybe Bevo also needs to be more flexible in his approach and not try and be as creative. I am happy to see how he goes this year and reassess at year's end.
    I think we did get Lucky in 2016. We played one month of excellent footy and really had momentum and a fit list at the right time. I don’t doubt we applied ourself and put the work in for that to happen. But what has gone wrong since then. It starts at the helm. Did Bevo let the boys get ahead of themselves, did he not communicate the standards required for the following years. Did he not move players on etc.

I am gratf fir the ride but can’t see how he is the right fit his. He got lucky and his we need someone who can’t get the full potential out of this list. Sadly while Bevo wants to create stupid trends and be innovative with game plans he is missing what we all can see. We don’t have the best list in the AFL so go back to basics and do them well. It served us well back in 2016 why couldn’t it work again. I look at Richmond, Pirt and saints and it looks like they have adopted our old game plan.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we did get Lucky in 2016. We played one month of excellent footy and really had momentum and a fit list at the right time.
    We were 15-7 in the season proper. We played good football throughout the year (sure a couple of average games) and peaked at the right time. There are elements of luck in all premiership wins but hardly lucky. You still haven't stated why we were lucky. Did every other team suffer crippling injuries during the finals period leading us to walk over the line? Were all our players suddenly playing above their own capabilities and on some kind of perform enhancing regime that lead us to win the flag? How exactly were we lucky??

I don’t doubt we applied ourself and put the work in for that to happen. But what has gone wrong since then. It starts at the helm. Did Bevo let the boys get ahead of themselves, did he not communicate the standards required for the following years. Did he not move players on etc.
    We have had a high turnover of players, players that were destabilising in the years since, players losing form. Not sure what the reasons are but yes we have certainly performed below our expectations. I was hoping for a dynasty but for reasons this has not happened. Is this possible with the current list and coaching team? Going on recent form no. Hopefully this can be turned around as we have core group of quality players.

I am gratf fir the ride but can’t see how he is the right fit his. He got lucky and his we need someone who can’t get the full potential out of this list. Sadly while Bevo wants to create stupid trends and be innovative with game plans he is missing what we all can see. We don’t have the best list in the AFL so go back to basics and do them well. It served us well back in 2016 why couldn’t it work again. I look at Richmond, Pirt and saints and it looks like they have adopted our old game plan.
    Again not sure how Bevo got lucky. He took us from a rabble at the end of '14 to a flag in '16. Sure alot of things need to go right but he was able to manage this and lead us to a premiership. No fluke and not lucky. On the one hand you say that Bevo got lucky but then you highlight the success of his game plan with Richmond, Port and the Saints. Either you believe he got lucky or he actually implemented a game plan that worked. You can't have it both ways.

The games against the Swans, Hawks and Pies showed that we have the ability to press high, sustain pressure and force turnovers.We were also able to win clearances. Even the game against the GC showed this albeit we were not able to convert our chances. The game against Carlton I am hoping is an aberration and we are able to come out and turn this around over the next few weeks. Yes we have issues such as our forward line and delivery into our forward line. I too hope they are addressed and we do bring in some players and drop a few who clearly aren't performing. I am still in the camp that Bevo is the best coach to lead us forward. Time will tell if this is the case.
    Last edited by whythelongface; 22-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Post Whythelongface.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks whythelongface thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    The games against the Swans, Hawks and Pies showed that we have the ability to press high, sustain pressure and force turnovers.We were also able to win clearances. Even the game against the GC showed this albeit. The game against Carlton I am hoping is an aberration and we are able to come out and turn this around over the next few weeks. Yes we have issues such as our forward line and delivery into our forward line. I too hope they are addressed and we do bring in some players and drop a few who clearly aren't performing. I am still in the camp that Bevo is the best coach to lead us forward. Time will tell if this is the case.
    You mentioned players out of form. Yes I agree but why? Take Wood. This guys will give his heart to the club. We can all see it. He was an AA Hackman. Bevo stuffed around tried to mend him a forward. He has clearly lost confidence since. Does he think that Bevo doesn’t see him in the best back six? I’m not sure I’m not down at the club. But I can tell you as an outsider looking in. It seems that since 2026 Bevo has made a lot of bad choices and we are lost without a direction. I’m really unsure he can get us bavmkn track. We have a list that is better than getting belted by a club in trouble like Carlton.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did Montgomery leave? Jumped or pushed?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we need a external review of our footy department, I agree there should be an assistant coach shake-up, but I disagree that Bevo’s time is up. We are all too ready to throw the baby out with the bath water; after the 2015 season and the culmination of all our dreams in 2016, Bevo deserves our full backing. Make sure all the ducks are lined up first with the review and shake-up, then pass judgment after two full years with these in place. Give him an extension to 2022 with a caveat ... finals in 2021 and 2022 or gone.
    WOOF Member 422

12. Likes Bulldog4life, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I agree we need a external review of our footy department, I agree there should be an assistant coach shake-up, but I disagree that Bevo’s time is up. We are all too ready to throw the baby out with the bath water; after the 2015 season and the culmination of all our dreams in 2016, Bevo deserves our full backing. Make sure all the ducks are lined up first with the review and shake-up, then pass judgment after two full years with these in place. Give him an extension to 2022 with a caveat ... finals in 2021 and 2022 or gone.
    Just a question though, did Bevo take on a talented team in 2015 that was looking for a fresh approach and a different voice and one that just appreciated the way he went about things and then responded sensationally well? And after that ultimate win that same voice and approach couldn't spark them back into being hungry beasts? As a boss it's always good to take over from someone who lost the group because they are looking for someone to back them and most importantly lead them. Bevo is working with a different group now that probably requires a different leadership approach from him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Why did Montgomery leave? Jumped or pushed?
    Pushed. He thought he was headed in one direction and the club thought otherwise.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course Bevo must be under pressure. It’d be complacent from the club if he wasn’t. Although there does seem to be a fair bit of complacency about the club these days. Let’s face it, this is now 3 years where we have seen no change whatsoever. The coaching group, the hopeless forward entries, the pathetic goal kicking, pathetic overall skills, disorganised forward half, always getting killed on transition, no smarts in the marking contest - be it in the marking contest or crumbing the spill, playing players out of position, playing the same old players etc. I mean we’ve all spoken about these things for some time now. At first I thought I’m an amateur in afl coaching, Bevo knows best, but these are weaknesses that continue to kill us week in week out. No injuries to complain about this year. We’ve also seen some players go to other clubs and have success. Patience has run out for Bev. We must improve and improve now. The honeymoon is well and truly over and the heat needs to be turned up

Post Thanks / Like

Not a good game from Bevo but first quarter against GC aside he was going fine. Hopefully he can turn it around
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just a question though, did Bevo take on a talented team in 2015 that was looking for a fresh approach and a different voice and one that just appreciated the way he went about things and then responded sensationally well? And after that ultimate win that same voice and approach couldn't spark them back into being hungry beasts? As a boss it's always good to take over from someone who lost the group because they are looking for someone to back them and most importantly lead them. Bevo is working with a different group now that probably requires a different leadership approach from him.
    Bevo also inherited the assistant coaches bar-one. It's the Ross Lyon theory ... taking a talented group that next step. But what Lyon has endured with a change of talent, lack of form, horrible losses etc, he is now seeing the fruits of a board that was willing to stick with him. Bevo needs (deserves) our full backing and the board's full support. The review should be clinical with the understanding that he is the man ... he is our leader ... he is the coach that will take us to our next finals and ultimate success.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Luck is finding 50 bucks on the floor. We didn't get lucky or fluke a premiership. Anyone who has played just one quarter of footy knows that luck won't make you put your head over the ball or gut run the length of the ground just to be an option. It takes skill effort determination and any other cliche that fits because it's true. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Bevo is safe IMO but his staff could do with a clean out like Richmond did at the end of 2016.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.