Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Another statistic is .....

in all Four losses this year the team that defeated the Dogs had a discarded bulldog on their backline. Harrow, Roughead, Jones and Hamling.

I think it means keep good players and play them in their correct position.
    We are in a similar position at the moment with Maclean Richards Trengrove and Naughton being played out of position.

Post Thanks / Like

in all Four losses this year the team that defeated the Dogs had a discarded bulldog on their backline. Harrow, Roughead, Jones and Hamling.

Jones being the exception, he left as a forward and was tried as a forward at Carlton , he was on his last legs and they threw him down back as he wasn’t getting near it up forward.
    He became a backman more by accident than design.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Umm - Harbrow and Hamling weren't discarded...

That's just making up facts to suit your point of view.

Jones was a forward as a junior and we played him EXCLUSIVELY as a forward...maybe (MAYBE) had he been thrown around a little more he might have made a go of it as a defender at our club? Who knows.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Jones was a forward as a junior and we played him EXCLUSIVELY as a forward...maybe (MAYBE) had he been thrown around a little more he might have made a go of it as a defender at our club? Who knows.
    Jones ended up playing in the backline with the Northern Blues. I am not sure how long for but, eventually tried at Carlton.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give you Roughead ... disappointed we lost him, would have preferred to keep him.
    Jones? He was a forward, had never played back. If it wasn't for the Carlton match committee/coaches, he'd be selling real estate in some hick town right now (hardly keeping him in his correct position). Hamling was a real loss ... Bevo freely admits that, but it was Hamling's choice. We had offered him a substantial contract to stay, he chose to return home. If by Harrow you mean Jarrod Harbrow, you're clutching at straws there. He left us in 2010 for an expansion club and we were compensated for that. we couldn't offer him the money he was given to leave and return home.

Only one of those you mention was discarded ... Roughead.
    WOOF Member 422

6. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm left handed right footed. Was handy when expected to handball on the right.
    I throw balls overarm right handed and underarm left handed. It's gotten me so many run outs playing cricket from cover and midoff. Batsman thinks "I've got him covered, he's gotta pick it up, balance and then throw it" and by the time they are halfway through thinking that to themselves it's time for them to tell their story walking!

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our biggest issue is goal conversion. You look at Gowers and against the Suns and Carlton took 6 marks in each game and in both games his conversion was 1.2. He has kicked 8.8 to date.
    That sort of goalkicking return is just such a momentum killer.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

We didn't exactly discard Jones either. I remember we wanted to keep him but he chose to leave.

Roughead would be burnt in our backline. Good on him for finding a system where he can thrive as a Key Defender.

As you said the other two were very much desired but couldn't be retained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We didn't exactly discard Jones either. I remember we wanted to keep him but he chose to leave.

Roughead would be burnt in our backline. Good on him for finding a system where he can thrive as a Key Defender.

As you said the other two were very much desired but couldn't be retained.
    Correct you are. Jones & Tutt both threatened to walk to Carlton in the PSD, but we were trying to keep them. We traded Jones at the last part of the period for what we could get (mid 40's pick), and Tutt in fact quit and walked in the PSD to Carlton. I can't remember which one it was, said our fans were too mean.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Correct you are. Jones & Tutt both threatened to walk to Carlton in the PSD, but we were trying to keep them. We traded Jones at the last part of the period for what we could get (mid 40's pick), and Tutt in fact quit and walked in the PSD to Carlton. I can't remember which one it was, said our fans were too mean.
    Was he a WOOF reader
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton also tried to buy out Jones' contract before trying him back. Not that comparing player development and list management to Carlton is particularly endearing but I don't see how any club could have possibly seen his re-resurgence coming.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Carlton also tried to buy out Jones' contract before trying him back. Not that comparing player development and list management to Carlton is particularly endearing but I don't see how any club could have possibly seen his re-resurgence coming.
    We actually tried him back for short periods at VFL level, didn't work.
    From what I've heard of the way B-Mac spoke to Jones I'm not surprised he left.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I throw balls overarm right handed and underarm left handed. It's gotten me so many run outs playing cricket from cover and midoff. Batsman thinks "I've got him covered, he's gotta pick it up, balance and then throw it" and by the time they are halfway through thinking that to themselves it's time for them to tell their story walking!

That sort of goalkicking return is just such a momentum killer.
    Agree. Also his stats are misleading - his goal v Carlton came in junk time, the game was lost. When he had the chance to make a diffference he didn't, How many of Gowers 8 goals have come when the game was on the line v already over?

Post Thanks / Like

Jones was like Missy, always in the preseason articles, how he is set to improve, this is the year, etc.
    Got a bit sick of it!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo mentioned in his post game chat that he knows he gets criticised for players out of position. Offered some rationale. Wasn't super convincing. However, Trengove/Dunkley being in the team and used appropriately is pleasing and perhaps a sign he is prepared to shift a little. Coached well against Freo, got the rewards from a team that looked organised for a change tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Bevo mentioned in his post game chat that he knows he gets criticised for players out of position. Offered some rationale. Wasn't super convincing. However, Trengove/Dunkley being in the team and used appropriately is pleasing and perhaps a sign he is prepared to shift a little. Coached well against Freo, got the rewards from a team that looked organised for a change tonight.
    Was an interesting response - from memory he was referring to Naughton. I wondered what criticism he had in mind...has anyone in the media pushed that barrow?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs