Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

I had him sacked at qtr time of R2 2018. Then flipped and flopped until the last month of footy and settled on a number of factors outside his control being the most impactful features of his/the team's poor performance.

He is already under pressure imo. But I expect things to improve and believe he will have an influence in that happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely under pressure, more because we have Libba back, a very strong midfield which a decent coach should be able to utilize.
    He's got a good group and no reason not to be optimistic. Super Bullish this year. Be very disappointed if we don't make top 8.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

How on earth isn’t Hinkley on that list ?
    Ex Cat coach bias there , me thinks !
    Would think Longmire might be under pressure also as well as Worsfold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Absolutely under pressure, more because we have Libba back, a very strong midfield which a decent coach should be able to utilize.
    He's got a good group and no reason not to be optimistic. Super Bullish this year. Be very disappointed if we don't make top 8.
    To be honest it well depend on how we fair in the injury stakes .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I had him sacked at qtr time of R2 2018. Then flipped and flopped until the last month of footy and settled on a number of factors outside his control being the most impactful features of his/the team's poor performance.

He is already under pressure imo. But I expect things to improve and believe he will have an influence in that happening.
    You had our only premiership coach in 60-odd years sacked 20 games after that win? Holy sh!t that is unbelievable to me.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes bornadog, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You had our only premiership coach in 60-odd years sacked 20 games after that win? Holy sh!t that is unbelievable to me.
    Getting beat by 10 goals in the first 2 games 20 games after that win was shocking
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the whole fox and 7 commentary team are under immense pressure they have been shit for a number of years.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

9. Likes Smads57, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two JLT games down and now looking st around one. Based on what we have delivered so far in 2019 I’ve changed my mind. Yes I think Bevo is under pressure. He looks to have read the Alester Clarkson book and thinks it better to do left of field positional changes rather than do what you do well. It worked in 2016 and Bevo wants to be the next coach with a left field result that worked.

I just can’t see how he can afford any more buggering around with the team. Put them in posistion s they know, back yourself and play with Bulldog sprit.

Last year injuries gave him some form of excuses to flip players around. 2019 no more excuses the JLT was a joke and we need to be lead well.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Aren’t all coaches under pressure to perform? They need to sell a vision and progress toward that. Bevo is no different.

Is he at risk of losing his job? I’d say not this year. Stranger things have happened but we’d have to have a full blown disaster of a year for it to be genuinely contemplated.

Post Thanks / Like

He's got another year on his contract after this season but I think by then the pressure on him is red hot. If this season pans out the way I expect, which is bottom 4 with 5-8 wins, a number of beltings, and no real signs of improvement or team cohesion then that will be 3 years of consecutive regression with no signs of an upswing. He'd need a 2015 style expectation reversal in 2020 to survive.

If we get the wooden spoon this year, which is entirely a possibilty, I can see him going at the end of the season.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo did once say he'd only coach for five years so perhaps he'll walk anyway at the end of his contract?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He's got another year on his contract after this season but I think by then the pressure on him is red hot. If this season pans out the way I expect, which is bottom 4 with 5-8 wins, a number of beltings, and no real signs of improvement or team cohesion then that will be 3 years of consecutive regression with no signs of an upswing. He'd need a 2015 style expectation reversal in 2020 to survive.

If we get the wooden spoon this year, which is entirely a possibilty, I can see him going at the end of the season.
    Barring injuries I think we have the talent to be better than a bottom 4 team. We have recruited well in the past couple of years with the likes of English Naughton Richards Greene Lipinski Williams Trengrove and Lloyd. Our Father/ Son Recruitment in Libba Cordy Hunter Wallis with West to come has been excellent. I do have concerns with Bevo’s football support team however which is in need of a refresh. I would be going all out to lure back Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross plus Dale Morris next year. All three have been fine players and are quality people with excellent character.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

My thoughts are similar.

His stubbornness and refusal to introduce change to the coaching and medical teams hasn’t done him any favours.

Stripping it to basics, we’ve had long enough to address our ruck crisis and skill errors yet neither are looking remotely better. In fact, you could argue they’ve got worse - particularly in the way of the ruck situation. I find it diabolical we are going into 2019 with one ruck in the list (English) who isn’t ready, a rookie ruck and stopgaps (Trengove isn’t a ruck and neither is Boyd). The fact that basically 3 years after they changed the ruck rule we are still opting with occasionally rucking Dunkley, Morris and Bonti in parts is ridiculous. It was horrific when we first tried it and it was still horrific in the JLT v St Kilda yet we (Bevo) persists.

Eventually this kind of stubbornness will catch up with him.

16. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon you've put it perfectly The Bulldogs Bite. I was hoping this year would be a 'back to the basics' season in terms of playing genuine ruckmen, playing a traditional forward structure and letting proven players play where they've made a name for themselves.

The trade and draft period didn't fill me with confidence (we have 1 actual ruckman and two actual key forwards on the main list) and JLT hasn't helped.

I'm still bullish about the year, but JLT has raised a few concerns. At the very least we seem committed to playing some guys over 6'2 forward of the ball this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Eventually this kind of stubbornness will catch up with him.
    This +1.

Ruck options should of been fixed in the draft.
    Forward options should of been fixed in the draft (I know Lloyd was bought in but I don't think it's enough).
    Skill errors are what get me the most, with the amount that we get hit from turnovers and our ability to not score / even enter 50 smoothly, it's been a problem since mid 2017 and it seems, after JLT, it's still a problem.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016