Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    This +1.

Ruck options should of been fixed in the draft.
    Forward options should of been fixed in the draft (I know Lloyd was bought in but I don't think it's enough).
    Skill errors are what get me the most, with the amount that we get hit from turnovers and our ability to not score / even enter 50 smoothly, it's been a problem since mid 2017 and it seems, after JLT, it's still a problem.
    I see your point but would argue that is there good enough ruck options in the draft ? and we didn’t get the King brothers as they went before our picks . It’s all very well to draft needs , but drafted KPP’s and rucks take time .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I find it diabolical we are going into 2019 with one ruck in the list (English) who isn’t ready, a rookie ruck and stopgaps (Trengove isn’t a ruck and neither is Boyd). The fact that basically 3 years after they changed the ruck rule we are still opting with occasionally rucking Dunkley, Morris and Bonti in parts is ridiculous.
    In fairness, Richmond won a flag with a second ruck (Grigg) who is shorter than those three guys.

I would have liked one more mature ruck because Sweet doesn't quite seem ready but who was available? Campbell seemed one of the top options and we wouldn't play him regardless.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I had him sacked at qtr time of R2 2018. Then flipped and flopped until the last month of footy and settled on a number of factors outside his control being the most impactful features of his/the team's poor performance.

He is already under pressure imo. But I expect things to improve and believe he will have an influence in that happening.

Good god !

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sydney had Allir Allir rucking on the weekend . Richmond won a flag with Shaun Grigg .
    Nobody plays two actual ruckman anymore . Just hope the ones that pile on in the negativity have the courage to come forward if we do go better than expected . I’ll watch intently

6. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I see your point but would argue that is there good enough ruck options in the draft ? and we didn’t get the King brothers as they went before our picks . It’s all very well to draft needs , but drafted KPP’s and rucks take time .
    Knowing all that the trade period should have provided some options
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I'm not OVERLY fussed with our rucking options, I think English will develop into a super-star ruck, it'll take time but he'll get there.

What we need is a *!*!*!*!ing big man power forward (aka Boyd) who can mark above his head, crash packs and hit the big sticks every time.. Something, we don't honestly have.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rucks.....with potentially more space around the contest - at least in the centre square - I think tap ruckmen are going to be more important.

Roughead was reasonable for us in 2016 with third man up and was exposed thereafter, while I'll watch Nankervis with interest this year with the new rules in place.

I wasn't too concerned about it, but after watching our pre season games, our rucks stocks look like a mess
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't stand Blight, he is a real dickhead with the things he says. Whately just loves him.
    I guess dickheads are attracted to dickheads, even dickheads with good vocabulary who cannot rate to save themselves
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Re: rucks.....with potentially more space around the contest - at least in the centre square - I think tap ruckmen are going to be more important.

Roughead was reasonable for us in 2016 with third man up and was exposed thereafter, while I'll watch Nankervis with interest this year with the new rules in place.

I wasn't too concerned about it, but after watching our pre season games, our rucks stocks look like a mess
    How do you think we went H1 vs Saints as opposed to H2?

Trengove had 9 taps, English 18 but Trengove did more around the ground. For mine it's line-ball between the two, Trengove marginally better performed but English has much more upside.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    How do you think we went H1 vs Saints as opposed to H2?

Trengove had 9 taps, English 18 but Trengove did more around the ground. For mine it's line-ball between the two, Trengove marginally better performed but English has much more upside.
    That's pretty much how I see it as well - Bevo might play both to give us some flexibility (Trengove and / or Naughton back if they start catching it close to goal) but I'd much rather run with one and Schache as support...where I would pick Trengove purely for his strength at the contest and ability to get us forward.

Conversation with my brother reviewing last Sunday this morning went something like this.

TPM's brother : Trengove's no good
    TPM : Bit harsh
    TPM's brother : He's not a ruckman
    TPM : but that's where he's played his best footy though...we could play him as a defender but he gets exposed for pace
    TPM's brother : I know
    TPM : so what is he then? We've got another 3 years on decent coin to go
    TPM's brother : I don't know. Why'd we let Campbell go?

And so on....
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

We won the centre clearances 17-8 against St Kilda so we didn't have any glaring ruck issues in the square at least.

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be interesting what our setup will be come round 1
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post

What we need is a *!*!*!*!ing big man power forward (aka Boyd) who can mark above his head, crash packs and hit the big sticks every time.. Something, we don't honestly have.
    That’s fair enough, but it isn’t like we aren’t trying to find this player. Somehow we have gotten s former #1 overall pick from the giants and a former #2 overall from the lions to fill that role. No other club has been so pro-active in trading for key forwards...

What more would you have the footy dept do?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    That’s fair enough, but it isn’t like we aren’t trying to find this player. Somehow we have gotten s former #1 overall pick from the giants and a former #2 overall from the lions to fill that role. No other club has been so pro-active in trading for key forwards...

What more would you have the footy dept do?
    We also brought Cloke in after we won the flag, but haven't been prepared to overpay or anyone who has been on the market either.

People need to also be mindful of experienced quality players wanting to play for teams that play in the big games, and unless we play finals year in year out, that just ain't us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In fairness, Richmond won a flag with a second ruck (Grigg) who is shorter than those three guys.

I would have liked one more mature ruck because Sweet doesn't quite seem ready but who was available? Campbell seemed one of the top options and we wouldn't play him regardless.
    I’d feel more comfortable if we had a Toby Nankervis as our #1 ruck and others filling the backup 2nd ruck until English is fully formed.