Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Time to go.

Forever grateful for what he did in in 2016, but his attempts to play the game differently have failed and continuing with the same odd strategies into this season is nothing short of arrogance.

You can't fill a team with half back flankers, you can't continually play undersized in key positions, you can't play small and concede the ruck and you can't play guys out of position in the name of versatility.

They're tenets of Aussie Rules and have been for 100+ years. I'm not sure why Bevo thinks a successful Bulldogs side would look any different to every other successful side in history.

Thanks, but time's up.
    That's very succinct and hard to argue with.

The question is whether he has ability to change his philosophy, or whether the club needs to do something with him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think its time to go, but it is time to start questioning whether the message is getting through and whether the players are listening. The list has deficiencies, but it is essentially a talented list. 2017 was a free pass; 2018 injury and attitude affected; 2019 and he is running out of excuses. Should have beaten GCS; Had chances to beat the Pies; No excuses today, we were putrid.

3. Likes Eastdog, whythelongface liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I dont think its time to go, but it is time to start questioning whether the message is getting through and whether the players are listening. The list has deficiencies, but it is essentially a talented list. 2017 was a free pass; 2018 injury and attitude affected; 2019 and he is running out of excuses. Should have beaten GCS; Had chances to beat the Pies; No excuses today, we were putrid.
    Summed up well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop playing our players out of position (look at how Roughead is thriving at Collingwood), reward players playing well in the VFL (eg Lipinski), and drop players who are out of form (eg Hunter, Wood).
    Footscray member since 1980.

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Stop playing our players out of position (look at how Roughead is thriving at Collingwood), reward players playing well in the VFL (eg Lipinski), and drop players who are out of form (eg Hunter, Wood).
    Sadly, won’t happen.

Crows have recently dropped Gibbs and Jenkins. Seems certain players of ours have a free season pass no matter what form they show.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's very succinct and hard to argue with.

The question is whether he has ability to change his philosophy, or whether the club needs to do something with him.
    We don't really even have the personnel to execute this swarming style very effectively. We're largely slow of foot and have a team full of shit kicks, so sure, build a game around high possession.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Stop sitting on the fence!

Yes it’s time to go. You are not as good as you think you are Bevo . Not as clever as you think you are ether. You got lucky in 2016. But really put that aside you have been disappointing and lack the ability to think on game day.
    Last edited by Bumper Bulldogs; 21-04-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Mistakes
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I've mentioned before but how much has Monty leaving changed things.
    The problem might be to many yes men in the committee and no one to challenge the decisions.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    We don't really even have the personnel to execute this swarming style very effectively. We're largely slow of foot and have a team full of shit kicks, so sure, build a game around high possession.
    I was going to start a thread around this in the last week. That is, has Bevo created this game plan as a game plan that will win premierships if it has an All Australian like team of talent? Or has he created it based on the actual talent and limitations we have?

When you have a finite list of players, he needs to 'dance with the one who brought him'. I defer to those who understand game plans and styles more, but to me I think he's created a gameplan that our players cannot pull off. If we had Hawthorn 2012-15 like foot skills, we'd be top of the ladder. But we are not them, we are 18th for goal accuracy and probably not much better for general efficiency. So I think for the most part, we are using 'square pegs in round holes'. It's great in theory, but not in practice.

I think if this is what Bevo wants to do, and the club is behind him, then we need to go 'all in' and off load a good chunk of players who lack kicking skills and hope to bring in far better kicks, like a Dunkley for example. If we won't play multiple rucks or tall forwards, we need to get trading on Boyd, Schache &/or Trengove. That's over $1.5M a season in and out of Footscray, which is over 10% of our salary cap not essential to the game plan. This is the back Bevo 100% plan.

The alternative is to understand the strenthes and weaknesses (poor skills, poor conversion, limited foot speed) of our list, and the appropriate selection of multiple KPPs both in defence and forward. Then play to their strenthes.

I don't think we can be 'half pregnant' on this. Sides this year, including average ones, have a simple game plan for playing us. Wait for us to make a turnover and score from it. It's been a very successful against Bevo's game plan, and no doubt it will continue this year. So back in Bevo, turnover the list get him the players he needs for his gameplan going ahead and lose games this year learning it better. Or, take a deep breath and play in a way more consistent with our skills. Which haven't shown signs of improving since 2017, up to and including scoring goals which is kind of the point of our game.

As I say, I defer to those who understand this better than I, but I'm really unsure about what we are doing and why.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 21-04-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Make big changes to the coaching group. Bevo doesn't like it he can resign. Make a call on Bevo after trying that out.

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I've mentioned before but how much has Monty leaving changed things.
    The problem might be to many yes men in the committee and no one to challenge the decisions.
    He left before the finals in 2016 so I'm not sure if that is or was an issue. I do think we need to turn over coaches though. We've basically kept the same coaching staff here but shuffled them around. New faces and fresh ideas would help a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned on many posts over the last 12 months. Gorden you need to show some leadership now!

As the great EJ said. Do something!
    Last edited by Bumper Bulldogs; 22-04-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    He left before the finals in 2016 so I'm not sure if that is or was an issue. I do think we need to turn over coaches though. We've basically kept the same coaching staff here but shuffled them around. New faces and fresh ideas would help a lot.
    Yes he did leave before the finals but was the ground work already in place.
    Monty gave me the impression that he didn't hold back on what he thought and maybe it may have lead to him moving on.
    Not saying Monty would be a better coach but maybe a good foil to assist the senior coach.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Like what you say Fredi. Im still in the camp of persisting with Bevo but I think changes to the assistants around him is in order. Didn't change up too much in this area at the end of last season. Having someone come in with fresh ideas would not hurt.

There are coaches who have lasted longer with more bad seasons. Bevo has had 2 and hopefully the ship and turn again in teh right direction but we have a lot to work on and think about.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Just for info, for info sake:

2017-Current

Luke Beveridge

Games - 49
    Wins - 21
    Losses - 28
    Success Rate - 42% (likely to fall further)