Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Goalkicking is a mandatory aspect of training whenever I've been there. They just don't do it in a professional manner.
    Need to get that aspect of it back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Need to get that aspect of it back.
    Actually in all the time I have been watching training they have never done it properly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that insight Twodogs. Certainly don’t get to training much ( only really GF training at WO in 2016) so good to know a bit of what actually happens there.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 25-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Goalkicking is a mandatory aspect of training whenever I've been there. They just don't do it in a professional manner.
    That’s ok, it isn’t a professional manner on game day either.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo looked a little lost in his chat , looks like a coach struggling and under pressure.
    First time i have seen him looking like that.
    Didn’t really answer the fans/ media questions that are blaringly obvious and what he would do about it, kind of danced around it in my eyes.
    My thoughts of what he should have talked about and what he would do to fix it are :
    1 Why continually refuse to have two talls/ ruckman.
    2 Marvel doesn’t get rain why do we go small ?
    3 We are continually bombing the ball forward, we recruit forwards but you continue to throw them in the ruck.
    4 All teams we play against go tall and beat us, it’s a given, when are you going to see it?
    5 Goal kicking? Where’s the expert at training?
    6 Are the midfield and forward coach strangers because it seems they are the furthest away from connecting I have ever seen.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes Dry Rot, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing that frustrates me the most with our goal kicking are the EASY misses. The ones from within 30 metres almost directly in front, and the majority of these don’t get anywhere near the goal umpire, unless he’s running hard left or right...it’s frustrating and demoralising to watch it, imagine being out on the ground bombarding 15 inside 50’s to finally get a set shot 30 out directly in front, and shanking it...it’s shots AFL footballers should be getting, EVERY time, but other than a handful of players, I’m not confident at all watching the player kick.

I don’t believe for a second it’s all between the ears. Some players take a few steps, others look completely broken walking in to kick the ball. We don’t have a player that demands the ball and THRIVES in the opportunity to kick goals for this team. We need to find those players ASAP.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    The thing that frustrates me the most with our goal kicking are the EASY misses. The ones from within 30 metres almost directly in front, and the majority of these don’t get anywhere near the goal umpire, unless he’s running hard left or right...it’s frustrating and demoralising to watch it, imagine being out on the ground bombarding 15 inside 50’s to finally get a set shot 30 out directly in front, and shanking it...it’s shots AFL footballers should be getting, EVERY time, but other than a handful of players, I’m not confident at all watching the player kick.

I don’t believe for a second it’s all between the ears. Some players take a few steps, others look completely broken walking in to kick the ball. We don’t have a player that demands the ball and THRIVES in the opportunity to kick goals for this team. We need to find those players ASAP.
    I think it is between the ears. I think it is playing on the players minds. You watch them at training or pre match and they sail through the goals from every angle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Twodogs for our new goalkicking coach.
    I vote you Easty as Twodogs assistant.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think it is between the ears. I think it is playing on the players minds. You watch them at training or pre match and they sail through the goals from every angle.
    I'm sure that is a part of it but when the same players will miss to the same side on numerous occasions at training and in the games it's an indication the coaching isn't what it needs to be as well.

The other week Bont pushed 3 shots to his left and never looked like making an adjustment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm sure that is a part of it but when the same players will miss to the same side on numerous occasions at training and in the games it's an indication the coaching isn't what it needs to be as well.

The other week Bont pushed 3 shots to his left and never looked like making an adjustment.
    Does he do that at training?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's done but we won't make the call.

The season's playing out largely the way I was expecting (except Sydney being much more shit), skills are worse year on year, goal kicking is the worst in the history of the sport, defence leaks like a sieve, and the team can't score. There's no obvious signs of the style we even want to play other than have 22 players hovering between the two 50m arcs having little impact.

Beveridge has a contract for next year so the club needs to have a very direct and blunt review with him and see if he even wants to coach on next year. He looks tired, disinterested, and totally lacking in ideas. If he does want to stay on we tell him we're making wholesale changes to the rest of the coaching panel and he can have some but limited input into those changes. Again if he's not happy he can stand down.

I think we have to accept he is a one trick pony, he brought the Hawthorn defensive plan with him, released some players who'd been restricted, and made some left field calls that all came together perfectly for his first two seasons. Since then there's practically nothing that's worked. Teams pick apart our game style, weak areas continue to get worse, and left field calls are getting more and more ridiculous and almost never come off.

The end of next season will be 4 years since we he won the flag and given there's likely to have been 4 years of regression since then it's entirely reasonable to move on.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Technically that's 'theft by finding' and is a criminal offence.

The rest of your post is correct and your point about what Richmond did at the end of 2016 is a very good one. Hardwick didn't want to lose any of his assistants but wasn't given a choice.
    So does that mean we stole the premiership!!!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He's done but we won't make the call.

The season's playing out largely the way I was expecting (except Sydney being much more shit), skills are worse year on year, goal kicking is the worst in the history of the sport, defence leaks like a sieve, and the team can't score. There's no obvious signs of the style we even want to play other than have 22 players hovering between the two 50m arcs having little impact.

Beveridge has a contract for next year so the club needs to have a very direct and blunt review with him and see if he even wants to coach on next year. He looks tired, disinterested, and totally lacking in ideas. If he does want to stay on we tell him we're making wholesale changes to the rest of the coaching panel and he can have some but limited input into those changes. Again if he's not happy he can stand down.

I think we have to accept he is a one trick pony, he brought the Hawthorn defensive plan with him, released some players who'd been restricted, and made some left field calls that all came together perfectly for his first two seasons. Since then there's practically nothing that's worked. Teams pick apart our game style, weak areas continue to get worse, and left field calls are getting more and more ridiculous and almost never come off.

The end of next season will be 4 years since we he won the flag and given there's likely to have been 4 years of regression since then it's entirely reasonable to move on.
    Isn't this bit pessimistic? Besides the Carlton fiasco we have been up to our eyeballs in most games. Perhaps this is the most frustrating thing. We are underperforming badly. I'm really concerned because we have the weapons, every reason to put better systems in place.
    I remember a time when McCartney was playing around with the chess pieces and it just wasn't working. It smacked of desperation then, and it does now, or lack of respect for our opponents ( Carlton game selections ). It's time he went back to basics. We need Lloyd and a couple of experienced guys down there to at least compete, lead and run their defence a bit. Dickson and Gowers are too slow. If our mids can kick some and our forwards do their job we will jag some decent games this season.

Bont, Lloyd, Naughton forward will work eventually if we stick at it and give them time to gel. If our mids are as good as their potential with Wallis, Libba and Co, no reason why we can't get some wins. These boys have to realise, easy misses totally negate all momentum with the first few wins of the season and I think Bevo said as much in the presser.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I agree GD. The Carlton game aside which was bluntly sh*t, we have been competitive and in a position to win games. We could with a little bit of luck be crowing that we are 5-1 or 4-2 instead of the other way round. I don't believe the game plane is a disaster. I think there is definitely effort and commitment. The problem is front half effectiveness, both getting scores from our inside 50's and also missing goals we should get.

Even against Carlton, as insipid as we had been we had a chance early in the last to put scoreboard pressure on them. We didn't and they took the ball away and scored a goal. Its demoralising to the guys in the midfield and backline who work so hard to see the guys in the front half squander easy opportunities!

Post Thanks / Like

So apparently Bevo has fielded a younger side than his opposition in 80 of his 99 games.
    Does he get any credit for trying to develop our next successful side? He's something like 85% winning percentage when he has a more experienced team than the opposition.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers