Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  67
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo Under Pressure to Perform this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    So apparently Bevo has fielded a younger side than his opposition in 80 of his 99 games.
    Does he get any credit for trying to develop our next successful side? He's something like 85% winning percentage when he has a more experienced team than the opposition.
    No matter what people say, inexperienced sides will always find it hard against the more experienced sides.

I am excited we have some great young players, just have to make sure they stick together.

I thought the same after the premiership, but guys like Stringer, Dahl, Hamling are just ungrateful for the opportunity given to them and to help create a dynasty. You would have thought they would have stuck to together.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm sure that is a part of it but when the same players will miss to the same side on numerous occasions at training and in the games it's an indication the coaching isn't what it needs to be as well.

The other week Bont pushed 3 shots to his left and never looked like making an adjustment.
    Left foot, left hand, left post.

Right foot, right hand, right post.

Malcolm Blight, come on down.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

So apparently Bevo has fielded a younger side than his opposition in 80 of his 99 games.
    Does he get any credit for trying to develop our next successful side? He's something like 85% winning percentage when he has a more experienced team than the opposition.
    I'm a Bevo defender here but I do have a bit of an issue with this stat.

We didn't/don't have to always pick such a young and inexperienced side. When we have more experienced players being left out of the side based on form/coaches decision, well, you shouldn't get to play this card. Even in 2016 I seem to remember so much of our optimism came from the fact that it was the 'least experienced premiership side' since the Hawks in '08 (or something). But since then we have seen premiership players such as Roughead, Fletcher and Biggs languish in the 2's when fit, healthy and 'able' to play.

(And yes, I know the stories about Biggs losing his focus mentally etc, but some of that comes down to coaching (surely)).

In short, the inexperienced thing is real, but when you do it (seemingly) on purpose, well, is it that real?

4. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've showed patches of something resembling cohesive football but not sure I'd put our present ladder predicament down to a little bit of luck ...

The game plan seems to rely on our talented mids dictating terms, which they're capable of against most. If they don't have it their way though our backline's routinely exploited.

Further, whether our mids are on top or not the collection of players we call a forward line can best be described as dysfunctional. We can force feed them all we like (yay, entries, lots of them) but if the diet is mostly junk, which given many of our front line mids can't kick the thing properly we're just fuelling our own demise ... intercepting half backs rub their hands together and before you know it our mids are chasing tail while Caleb Daniel's going one-on-one at full back against an opponent a foot taller.

Toss in half a side with 50 games or less on the clock, many of whom we though might kick on a bit after last year's encouraging last month but instead are trotting around at VFL level with nobody making a particularly convincing case for a call up despite a senior side full of *very* lucky troops and it's a bit bloody hard to be glass half full right now.

Let's see how things look at the end of May after running into Richmond, Brissy, Geelong (gulp) and Norf. Perhaps with a little bit of luck we won't be 2-and-8.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Yep, it's pretty simple really. Although I have trouble with the ''right foot, right hand'' bit, when I switch onto the right I have to drop the ball with both hands ala Phil or Jimmy Krakouer (that's where the comparisons end though unfortunately)
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The game plan seems to rely on our talented mids dictating terms, which they're capable of against most. If they don't have it their way though our backline's routinely exploited.
    Isn't this the same for every team. Without a good midfield you are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Further, whether our mids are on top or not the collection of players we call a forward line can best be described as dysfunctional. We can force feed them all we like (yay, entries, lots of them) but if the diet is mostly junk.
    We are ranked 6th for marks inside 50, and second only has 5 more for the season to date. Inside 50 we are ranked second, which is a great stat as we know we can get the ball down there.

Our biggest issue is goal conversion. You look at Gowers and against the Suns and Carlton took 6 marks in each game and in both games his conversion was 1.2. He has kicked 8.8 to date.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Spot on, but when it's the only ace in the deck you're asking for trouble ... which may explain why our mids are, according to the coach himself, "cooked".
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I'm left handed right footed. Was handy when expected to handball on the right.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Bevo defender here but I do have a bit of an issue with this stat.

We didn't/don't have to always pick such a young and inexperienced side. When we have more experienced players being left out of the side based on form/coaches decision, well, you shouldn't get to play this card. Even in 2016 I seem to remember so much of our optimism came from the fact that it was the 'least experienced premiership side' since the Hawks in '08 (or something). But since then we have seen premiership players such as Roughead, Fletcher and Biggs languish in the 2's when fit, healthy and 'able' to play.

(And yes, I know the stories about Biggs losing his focus mentally etc, but some of that comes down to coaching (surely)).

In short, the inexperienced thing is real, but when you do it (seemingly) on purpose, well, is it that real?
    TBH I'm not sure it's all choice - how much would Bevo love a fit Picken and Moz running around?
    Boyd's had his issues and Hamling wanted out.

Chasing / adding Trengove, Crozier, Lloyd and Duryea (plus chasing Wingard / Impey) suggests to me the list managers know we are quite inexperienced and I don't think it's entirely by design.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

We are ranked 6th for marks inside 50, and second only has 5 more for the season to date. Inside 50 we are ranked second, which is a great stat as we know we can get the ball down there.

Our biggest issue is goal conversion. You look at Gowers and against the Suns and Carlton took 6 marks in each game and in both games his conversion was 1.2. He has kicked 8.8 to date.
    We seem to have a heap of shallow entries. A lot of our set shots are from close to (or outside) the 50. We also lead to the boundary a bit - and are having shots from there. Defenders are obviously more inclined to 'give you' boundary side.

12. Likes hujsh, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm left handed right footed. Was handy when expected to handball on the right.
    Yes, but when you kick with your right foot you drop the ball with your right hand and you aim at the right hand post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    We seem to have a heap of shallow entries. A lot of our set shots are from close to (or outside) the 50. We also lead to the boundary a bit - and are having shots from there. Defenders are obviously more inclined to 'give you' boundary side.
    Agree. How many times have I seen a player running in on the arc to get better depth but instead of going towards goal the ball goes in the direction of the arc. Infuriating.

Post Thanks / Like

TBH I'm not sure it's all choice - how much would Bevo love a fit Picken and Moz running around?
    Boyd's had his issues and Hamling wanted out.

Chasing / adding Trengove, Crozier, Lloyd and Duryea (plus chasing Wingard / Impey) suggests to me the list managers know we are quite inexperienced and I don't think it's entirely by design.
    Of course it is by design. Look at the selected team against Carlton.

A novice ruckman who had 6 hitouts the week before and no support.

The tallest Backman was 192 cm when two opposition forwards were over 200 cm (and kicked nearly as many goals as our whole team). Cordy has kicked the ball 7 times (total) in the last three games.

one forward over 190 cm who had only played on the forward line 4 times and with no support. Not surprising that he had 2 marks and 5 disposals and no impact.

experienced players who could have an significant impact go to waste in the vfl. Trengove had 28 kicks,2 goals and 26 hitouts but was overlooked for a first gamer who had 12 possessions- actually, 11 others had more in that vfl game.

Bevo is seeing players as they will be in 5 years, not as they are now. The supporters see wasted opportunity for success now and groan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    If you read 'Footballistics', it will tell you (amongst other things) that the team that wins the i50 count wins the game 74.2% of the time (or at least they did between 2008r1 and the 2017GF).

This number doesn't discriminate between deep entries, shallow entries, wide entries, re-entries...it is just Inside 50's. What it means is that if we keep winning the i50 count but losing the game then that is a statistical anomaly. What stats are more meaningful to winning than I50's? Well, there's only ONE. Total Kicks - the team that kicks the ball more wins 77.9% of the time.

Last week we won the i50's. But FREO won the kick count (and the game).

vs Collingwood, we were dead even for kicks. And i50's. The 3rd indicator is uncontested possession (69.5%) which we won...the 4th indicator is contested possession (69.4%) which we lost...what can I tell you, it was a close game.

What does all of this mean? Kick the ball? I don't know. I still thing the loss to Collingwood was a good performance and if we could recreate that footy we'd be OK.

17. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read 'Footballistics', it will tell you (amongst other things) that the team that wins the i50 count wins the game 74.2% of the time (or at least they did between 2008r1 and the 2017GF).

This number doesn't discriminate between deep entries, shallow entries, wide entries, re-entries...it is just Inside 50's. What it means is that if we keep winning the i50 count but losing the game then that is a statistical anomaly. What stats are more meaningful to winning than I50's? Well, there's only ONE. Total Kicks - the team that kicks the ball more wins 77.9% of the time.

Last week we won the i50's. But FREO won the kick count (and the game).

vs Collingwood, we were dead even for kicks. And i50's. The 3rd indicator is uncontested possession (69.5%) which we won...the 4th indicator is contested possession (69.4%) which we lost...what can I tell you, it was a close game.

What does all of this mean? Kick the ball? I don't know. I still thing the loss to Collingwood was a good performance and if we could recreate that footy we'd be OK.
    Another statistic is .....

in all Four losses this year the team that defeated the Dogs had a discarded bulldog on their backline. Harrow, Roughead, Jones and Hamling.

I think it means keep good players and play them in their correct position.

19. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post