Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

The youngster at the centre of “renewed” bulldogs “optimism”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02/...dogs-optimism/

Former Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy has highlighted the player at the centre of renewed hope at the club this year.

The Dogs fell off the pace in 2017 and 2018, finishing 10th and 13th respectively, in the wake of their remarkable premiership win in 2016.

Ahead of the new 2019 season, Murphy senses some buoyancy down at The Kennel and pinpointed a certain youngster who has helped create such anticipation.

“There’s a renewed optimism down there,” Murphy said on SEN Breakfast.

“That’s what I’ve gathered from them (the players). It always is with the little asterisk that everyone is on top of the ladder now.

“The top 22 haven’t been picked so everyone’s happy, no one’s fallen out with anyone yet.

“They are saying that training is fast. Across the board, everything is fast.

“Tim English has been one of the stars of the summer, up forward.

“Disappointing news with Tommy Boyd (being injured) but maybe it fast tracks Tim English.”

Garry Lyon poised the questions: Can English become the next Max Gawn? Can the Bulldogs in two years’ time say they’ve got one of the best two ruckmen in the competition?

To which Murphy replied: “He’s over two metres tall.

“He would do things right from the start where the experienced players would kind of step back and all look at each other and say, ‘did you see that?’

“(He’s great) below his knees, but it’s the way he jumps at the ball as a forward. We know he is really light in the upper body, but his legs aren’t.

“He’s got these big strong legs, so when he jumps into a pack, he’s not the spindly, two-metre Jarrad Grant.

“I said off-air last year to Anthony Hudson that when he (English) jumps at the ball as a forward and when he goes for his marks, he looks like Simon Madden.

“So Huddo says, ‘Bob Murphy thinks he’s going to be Simon Madden’. No, that’s not what I said.

“But having now tiptoed around it, I’m pumping him (up), he’s mine.”

The Bulldogs take on the Gold Coast Suns in Mackay in their first JLT Community Series match on Sunday before they meet St Kilda in Ballarat on March 10.

Their 2019 season proper opens against Sydney at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, March 23.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks bornadog, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The youngster at the centre of “renewed” bulldogs “optimism”

Would love English to play 14-18 games this year and really compete.

Not sure if I have rose tinted glasses - but he reminds me so much of Grundy when he first started in his ability to cover the ground, second efforts and work on the deck. Played more games than Grundy )I think) at same point in career.

I’m really excited by this kid and think he could be one of the best 2-3 rucks in the comp in 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect to 'the geezer' English, if our season is relying on him kicking goals up forward, well we are stuffed!

English will be a gun in the near future without a doubt but this article's title is getting carried away with Murph's comments.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly believe he’s the 2nd best talent on the list behind Bont.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Honestly believe he’s the 2nd best talent on the list behind Bont.
    He's certainly shaping up to be just as important.
    I really really rate this kid. I don't think I've ever seen a 207cm player even close to his skillset.

He was touted as a possible pick 7 to Freo in his draft year and like Grundy slid only because he's a ruckman, not because he had deficiencies (apart from physical development).

The chopping the arms rule makes him even more valuable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Would love English to play 14-18 games this year and really compete.

Not sure if I have rose tinted glasses - but he reminds me so much of Grundy when he first started in his ability to cover the ground, second efforts and work on the deck. Played more games than Grundy )I think) at same point in career.

I’m really excited by this kid and think he could be one of the best 2-3 rucks in the comp in 3 years.
    Grundy played 7 and 15 games in his first 2 years v 2 and 7 for English. Grundy was certainly ahead at the same point which is understandable given he was drafted more physically ready than Tim (even though Tim was older when drafted).

From his third year Grundy has been a permanent fixture in the side and English has the chance this season to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Jarred Grant. File for defamation spindlesticks. You'll always be my favorite whipping boy
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's certainly shaping up to be just as important.
    I really really rate this kid. I don't think I've ever seen a 207cm player even close to his skillset.

He was touted as a possible pick 7 to Freo in his draft year and like Grundy slid only because he's a ruckman, not because he had deficiencies (apart from physical development).

The chopping the arms rule makes him even more valuable.
    I was surprised Freo didn’t take him considering he’s from WA and was a standout at U18s.

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised Freo didn’t take him considering he’s from WA and was a standout at U18s.
    It was probably a list balance issue - Did they have Sandilands? Darcy? Maybe just de-listed Clarke - and two years a go, was the year the ruck rule was changed so it had been the third jumper before hand.

And English was a late bloomer - didnt he play overage in the U18s the year he was drafted - they may have doubted his ability to do it against men. They went with Griffin Logue instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    It was probably a list balance issue - Did they have Sandilands? Darcy? Maybe just de-listed Clarke - and two years a go, was the year the ruck rule was changed so it had been the third jumper before hand.

And English was a late bloomer - didnt he play overage in the U18s the year he was drafted - they may have doubted his ability to do it against men. They went with Griffin Logue instead.
    Obviously they had Sandilands, Clarke was still there, Darcy was the same draft as English, 19 picks later. Must have just rated Logue higher. Perhaps they thought there would be a miracle and English would slip to pick 38.

Post Thanks / Like

'He's over 2 metres tall'. Hmm so was Peter Street...

Post Thanks / Like

Keen to see durability from him, hasn't played 10 games yet
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Grundy played 7 and 15 games in his first 2 years v 2 and 7 for English. Grundy was certainly ahead at the same point which is understandable given he was drafted more physically ready than Tim (even though Tim was older when drafted).

From his third year Grundy has been a permanent fixture in the side and English has the chance this season to do the same.
    Gotcha. I was sure Grundy didn’t play his second season. Must have been thinking of someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha. I was sure Grundy didn’t play his second season. Must have been thinking of someone else.
    Possibly Gawn? He missed his 1st and 3rd years with knee injuries and took many years before he was a regular.