Luke Dahlhaus says ‘great mate’ Tom Liberatore’s reputation as loose is undeserved

Tom Liberatore’s deliberately low profile and penchant for bizarre tattoos mean he is badly misunderstood, according to one of his closest friends.

Luke Dahlhaus says Liberatore has set himself up with a strong pre-season after a turbulent few seasons and another knee reconstruction.

“I think Tom doesn’t really like attention. He hates it and you wouldn’t think that with his tatts and the new one he has just got, but he hates it, he absolutely hates it.

“There are times he gets noticed and he really struggles with it. But he is the most loyal, nicest bloke you would ever meet and he’s been such a good friend to me.

“He loves to have a beer and stuff, but people think he’s a bit more loose than what he is because of the tattoos and he’s a bit different.

“But honestly, he’s the nicest bloke, so loyal and the best bloke you will meet.

“I have been checking up on him. Well that sounds like I am his dad but I have been in contact with him and asking the other boys about him and he’s really going well.”

Liberatore just added another two tattoos to his arms - a pair of matching Simpsons characters - but not even Dahlhaus can explain them.

“I don’t know. A lot of them have a story behind them so you might have to ask him,” he said.

“There are a few from our trips and they all relate to something.

“Some people like to do artistic ones and he likes to do ones with stories behind them. I think they are conversation starters, to be honest.”