Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you watch the dogs interstate?

How do you watch the dogs games interstate?

Over the years I’ve tried a few things and it’s always been a pain.

Foxtel - waste of money IMO if you only want footy.

AFL app - Good price but mobile/tablet only which is too small for a game that fast. Can’t stream to TV.

Pub - this is great, though I’m completely focussed on the game when in play so it has to be on a big screen, with sound, not too much noise or people walking infront of the screen. it also costs about $25 to watch there in beers (funnily I don’t mind that as much) Plus I live in the south east where they seem to favour Guatemalan Gecko racing over the doggies on the main screen so finding a venue is like discovering the lost city of el dorado.

KAYO - yesterday I tried this for the first time. Clear winner for me. Quality was HD, stream didn’t buffer. 2 week free trial so technically I could use it for free all year by setting up new emails. Instead, I’ll share it with my dad and we can both have a profile for $12.50 a month each. Tonnes of other sport a bonus - but it’s mostly for the dogs.

(Note: kayo owned by foxtel. Smart move to disrupt themselves before someone does to them what Netflix has done to blockbuster)
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you watch the dogs interstate?

Foxtel for me. I have the AFL app live pass for free as I’m a Telstra customer but I still prefer to watch the Dogs interstate games on the bigger screen.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    How do you watch the dogs games interstate?

Over the years I’ve tried a few things and it’s always been a pain.

Foxtel - waste of money IMO if you only want footy.

AFL app - Good price but mobile/tablet only which is too small for a game that fast. Can’t stream to TV.

Pub - this is great, though I’m completely focussed on the game when in play so it has to be on a big screen, with sound, not too much noise or people walking infront of the screen. it also costs about $25 to watch there in beers (funnily I don’t mind that as much) Plus I live in the south east where they seem to favour Guatemalan Gecko racing over the doggies on the main screen so finding a venue is like discovering the lost city of el dorado.

KAYO - yesterday I tried this for the first time. Clear winner for me. Quality was HD, stream didn’t buffer. 2 week free trial so technically I could use it for free all year by setting up new emails. Instead, I’ll share it with my dad and we can both have a profile for $12.50 a month each. Tonnes of other sport a bonus - but it’s mostly for the dogs.

(Note: kayo owned by foxtel. Smart move to disrupt themselves before someone does to them what Netflix has done to blockbuster)
    I’m probably going to cough up for a Kayo subscription. Can you watch on a laptop?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’m probably going to cough up for a Kayo subscription. Can you watch on a laptop?
    Yeah you can watch on anything with a browser. I play it through my PC hooked up to the TV.

Post Thanks / Like

You can watch it on almost anything. I have an Apple TV and downloaded the Kayo app. Has some nice features like setting your favourite team and getting notifications on timing for them. Also you can watch up to 4 sports at once, which is nice if there are 2 good (non dogs) games on at the same time

Post Thanks / Like

I can stream the AFL app to my TV(to chromecast and directly to TV), It will depend a lot on what set up you have but the main point is to start the AFL app and get the game playing on your phone Before casting to the TV.

The app only seems to check if your phone is casting when the you first press play, once the game is running is dosn't check, and you can start casting.

The quality is ok on my 65" Samsung, it seems a higher resolution then SDTV but can be a bit pixelated and suffer from framerate issues.

I'd really like a Kayo app for my Samsung TV or xbox before I get it.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am away interstate I can watch through my Foxtel Subscription with the Foxtel app. I really hate Foxtel, but due to HD and 4K broadcasts I pay that bit extra. I am on the very basic package, ie base plus sports Hd.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Given that I live out of Victoria, I rely heavily on Foxtel whilst at home and the app when I’m out and about. It’s the only way I get to watch weekly. This is a two team town ... there is no AFL news or games on FTA tv unless it’s regarding the weasels of shockers.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Trialled Kayo on I pad and liked it. Sound drops out infrequently but never had problem with visuals. So subscribed for March. If Dogs have 2 matches in a month that are not home matches and that are not on 7 I think it is worth it. Also good if you follow an a-league team or Socceroos and Matilda’s matches.

Presume Foxtel have this feature too...where you can hide final scores and watch game from start or live.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Trialled Kayo on I pad and liked it. Sound drops out infrequently but never had problem with visuals. So subscribed for March. If Dogs have 2 matches in a month that are not home matches and that are not on 7 I think it is worth it. Also good if you follow an a-league team or Socceroos and Matilda’s matches.

Presume Foxtel have this feature too...where you can hide final scores and watch game from start or live.
    I think foxtel have the same features around pausing live play, but it looks like Kayo has been built w 2.0 features I’m not sure foxtel has.

You can hide notifications - so it won’t show anywhere the score of games you can’t watch live. Plus you can watch multiple sports at once in split screen - not sure foxtel iQ does that.

I think if you’re a foxtel subscriber ONLY for AFL then foxtel isn’t worth it. Probably need an Apple TV to make it as easy to use though - otherwise you have to connect a laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

I think foxtel have the same features around pausing live play, but it looks like Kayo has been built w 2.0 features I’m not sure foxtel has.

You can hide notifications - so it won’t show anywhere the score of games you can’t watch live. Plus you can watch multiple sports at once in split screen - not sure foxtel iQ does that.

I think if you’re a foxtel subscriber ONLY for AFL then foxtel isn’t worth it. Probably need an Apple TV to make it as easy to use though - otherwise you have to connect a laptop.
    I have had Foxtel for years and my huge beef has been around that they put the scores of other games in progress in the bottom right of the screen. I have heard of people actually putting electrical tape over the bottom right of the screen to block it (and I would seriously consider it except I watch it on a cinema screen/projector. I have written to them a million times about this (why in the age of smart phones when the scores are a click away would we need this and we could just change the channel to find out the score anyway).

I trialled Kayo over the Asian cup and resubscribed in time for the start of the JLT and play it via an Apple TV. I love that you can hide any spoilers and not find out scores, it’s great that you don’t have to record anything (just select if you want to play from the start of the game or from where the game is up to live). So far the quality has been great (HD) and I haven’t experienced any lag/buffering or problems with the quality/feed. As we found out with Optus in the World Cup, this might change when the demand picks up for big games.
    I also love that I can share one subscription with my Dad and he can also stream to tv (he used to use one of my Foxtel Go logins but that only allows you to watch live via tablet- there is no catchup feature and the AFL subscription doesn’t put replays on for at least 12 hours).
    With Stan and Netflix now I would rarely watch anything on Foxtel so the outlay of $80+ a month was almost purely for AFL and it is going to be hard to justify this now with Kayo’s $25 per month price tag.
    The only issue I have with Kayo so far is the clumsy time bar that makes it difficult to navigate to points in the game (ie when you want to skip the breaks or pregame stuff). Overall, I am really happy with it so far and I won’t be renewing my Foxtel should it manage to be reliable when the real demand for the feeds kicks in ie Friday night footy etc.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a bulldogs digital pass on my membership which give me the afl live app without being involved with Telstra.
    I have a android box attached to my TV so I can watch footy on the big screen.
    So instead of paying Foxtel $80 a month just to watch one or two games of football a week I now pay $22 a month for the same quality as the standard Foxtel box. Also hopefully some of that money is going to the club.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Naked.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Naked.
    Each to their own I guess but how does it go in the middle of winter?
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I have had Foxtel for years and my huge beef has been around that they put the scores of other games in progress in the bottom right of the screen. I have heard of people actually putting electrical tape over the bottom right of the screen to block it (and I would seriously consider it except I watch it on a cinema screen/projector. I have written to them a million times about this (why in the age of smart phones when the scores are a click away would we need this and we could just change the channel to find out the score anyway).

I trialled Kayo over the Asian cup and resubscribed in time for the start of the JLT and play it via an Apple TV. I love that you can hide any spoilers and not find out scores, it’s great that you don’t have to record anything (just select if you want to play from the start of the game or from where the game is up to live). So far the quality has been great (HD) and I haven’t experienced any lag/buffering or problems with the quality/feed. As we found out with Optus in the World Cup, this might change when the demand picks up for big games.
    I also love that I can share one subscription with my Dad and he can also stream to tv (he used to use one of my Foxtel Go logins but that only allows you to watch live via tablet- there is no catchup feature and the AFL subscription doesn’t put replays on for at least 12 hours).
    With Stan and Netflix now I would rarely watch anything on Foxtel so the outlay of $80+ a month was almost purely for AFL and it is going to be hard to justify this now with Kayo’s $25 per month price tag.
    The only issue I have with Kayo so far is the clumsy time bar that makes it difficult to navigate to points in the game (ie when you want to skip the breaks or pregame stuff). Overall, I am really happy with it so far and I won’t be renewing my Foxtel should it manage to be reliable when the real demand for the feeds kicks in ie Friday night footy etc.
    A fast forward button would be useful. There's the speed increase but it's a bit clumsy/not fast enough.

18. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post