Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue Chip Investment - Tom Boyd

Just thought I would start the discussion around Tom Boyd?

Will we ever see the very best of a guy that had so much potential that he went No1 in the AFL draft in 2013?

My discussion is around why do we not have players on performance contracts more often, based on games played or output on the field. I know that I don't see Tom other than on the field but is he really earning his pay packet at this point of time? Is he someone like the Bont that we can just wheel out in front of the media and he performs and puts his best foot forward for the Club?

I think two years ago a person at the club put out "that maybe Tom should hand back some of his cash" I think this was largely due to the intense Media cloud that follows anyone on that kind of money, but has Tom really been value for money? Should he come out and say I'm handing back xxxx as I haven't deserved that type of reward?

No doubt we all came along for the ride in the Grand final of 2016 and truely believed that he was going to pay us back in spades, but where are we now? At 23 he still has so much football and life in front of him. With him out of contract in 2021 will the media frenzy heat up and what would be an acceptable contract for our Tom if we were to sign him up now?
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blue Chip Investment - Tom Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I think two years ago a person at the club put out "that maybe Tom should hand back some of his cash"?
    That was a stupid suggestion by Luke Darcy and someone else on the crap radio station they work for.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That was a stupid suggestion by Luke Darcy and someone else on the crap radio station they work for.
    I wanna say Matthew Lloyd?

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly believe we’ll never see Boyd truly at his best and he wont play beyond his contract.

But he will be an absolute Bulldogs legend forever for that one game and that goal in 2016.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes bornadog, chef, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom is such an enigma.

I was thinking the same question about a month ago, although more around "if we will ever see him play again"

To me the question of "if/was he worth it" is such a non point, his performances in '16 as well as his signing was the great white hope that ended the turmoil period both returned a divided worth more than his contract.

However the other question, will he ever live up to what he is capable of? The jury is still out on that, his battle with the darkness as well as his body failing him at the moment make for a real cloud as to if he can.

I don't think Tom is the type of guy that reads much written about him, but if he did happen to read this, id simply say;

Tom, you're 23 years old, you have a whole life ahead of you, you need to do whats best and right for you, and once you are in a position of strength, then you can help others, whether that be in a football sense, in a wellbeing sense, or a mentor sense.

You've got an opportunity thanks to football to set yourself up for life, I hope you can grasp that opportunity with both hands, like you did on that day in '16 and you make the most of it. Tom, we are all immensely proud of you and how you carry yourself and the expectations of your draft pick and contract, I know if my kids could take on some of your traits id be one super proud dad.

Keep it up Tom, we believe in you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Honestly believe we’ll never see Boyd truly at his best and he wont play beyond his contract.

But he will be an absolute Bulldogs legend forever for that one game and that goal in 2016.
    Dont forget the prelim where he nullified the mummy.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

For mine.
    We just let his back get better. Even if it takes a whole year (or more)

Tim English plays as our No1 ruckman.

Tom plays as a permanent forward when he comes back.

Then we can at least find out what he's capable of delivering.

He's only 23. We've never actually seen him play his 'correct' position for any length of time.

I don't really think we need to think too much beyond that.

****Other than the fact he needs a dedicated marking coach.

9. Likes Bulldog Revolution, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom's predicament's beginning to remind me a bit of of Justin Koschitzke, in more ways than one.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Then again, the latter retired a 200-gamer. If we can get that out of Tom how could you be remotely ungrateful?

Just wish the big lump could get a clear and consistent run at it if for no other reason than to spare us all of dying wondering.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I think of Tom Boyd's contract in really simplistic terms - think of how many millions we've spent on player contracts since 1954. Then realise that we don't win the 2016 flag without Tom and his 6 (?) million dollar contract.

Think he can still be a reasonable ruck/forward if he gets fit, though while Gordon may not have envisioned his prelim/GF contribution when signing him, he was worth it.

Oh, and Nathan Brown tipped into that contract discussion in 2016 - can you think of someone in a worse position to offer a take on that? This industry...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

12. Likes bornadog, Dancin' Douggy, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced he'll play again.

I'd do the deal again in the circumstances with which it emerged.

He earned his money in the PF/GF. Whether he becomes the gun we hoped, or not, any development and good footy from here is a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for Boyd. In some ways he reminds me of Jack Watts in having huge expectations at such a young age. In honesty, I think the trade was really irresponsible of Liam pickering who chased money - went on radio talking about how it paid for his pool - and didn’t necessarily represent the mental health of his client.

Not going to weigh in on his salary being paid back - it’s what was negotiated so it’s what he’s entitled to. Doubt many here would take a pay cut if they didn’t need to.

As for his footy - he still strikes me as the type of player who isn’t built for today’s game. Too slow, too big. Ideal scenario is he plays out his contract, re signs for peanuts and takes 3 nice marks a game and kicks 1-2 a game when the pressure is off. Again though - doubt he’d do that if offered more elsewhere

Post Thanks / Like

I really feel for Tom. When you have an incredibly powerful footy voice like Leigh Matthews opening wishing failure on your career, it would be a massive millstone around anybody's neck. The pile-on as a result of that coward lighting the match on Tom's career has been one of the more unsavory aspects of footy media reporting in the last few years.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe with the new rules Tom would be better suited as the stay at home forward.
    If he doesn't mark the long bomb does he get out marked if not it open up opportunities for the smaller forwards.
    Playing only at FF he has more energy to jump at the ball, I remember him saying in an interview he was buggered when he went back to rest.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I really feel for Tom. When you have an incredibly powerful footy voice like Leigh Matthews opening wishing failure on your career, it would be a massive millstone around anybody's neck. The pile-on as a result of that coward lighting the match on Tom's career has been one of the more unsavory aspects of footy media reporting in the last few years.
    Absolutely. That was a vile comment from Matthews and the subsequent commentary around giving money back is absolutely ludicrous. That neither have really been challenged in the media tells us plenty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Maybe with the new rules Tom would be better suited as the stay at home forward.
    If he doesn't mark the long bomb does he get out marked if not it open up opportunities for the smaller forwards.
    Playing only at FF he has more energy to jump at the ball, I remember him saying in an interview he was buggered when he went back to rest.
    He really doesn't have the typical body for endurance sport. To be constantly chasing the ball and be there for every ball up and boundary throw in.

The closest physical specimen to Tom in the league is probably Tom Hawkins who pretty much plays as a stay at home forward.

I would love to see Tom have an extended run in that role.