Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 JLT Series - Match 2 Western Bulldogs v St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don’t think English will play round 1. Trengove will ruck with schache and Cordy giving him a chop out of 5-7 mins each quarter.
    If English doesn't play then it's likely we won't have anyone from the 2016 draft playing either with Lipinski, Lewis Young and Greene just not quite on the radar. I've got high hope for Lipinski along with English though.
    I'm not sure if that is a sign of strength or an unbalanced list or that we haven't quite developed the players as we would have hoped for but you would expect a couple of them to be right in the selection process.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be surprised if English doesn't play if only on the basis of how highly he's rated internally. We played him ahead of Schache in JLT 1 and English has supposedly been the 'star' trainer of the pre-season.

I guess we'll know in a few hours. If we can't find a way to score against a Carlisle-less St Kilda that will flag huge concerns for the season proper.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ..... English has supposedly been the 'star' trainer of the pre-season.
    Yes...but pre season training and football games are not the same thing.

English is NOT a forward. He doesn’t really have a history of kicking bags of goals...he is a ruckman and he needs to play in the ruck. But at this point, Trengove is bigger, stronger and more effective in a contest.

So where the hell does English play? 5-7 mins per quarter as a backup ruckman? That is not going to work...unless he can at least compete as a forward, he isn’t going to be able to play...our forward line is inexperienced enough without chucking 200cm bloke down there who don’t know when to lead or how to create spAce down there to further mess things up.

I understand he is highly rated and he us undoubted talent...but I honestly cannot see how he fits in the 22. Unless having a development year in which case Trengove plays vfl and English plays ruck...it doesn’t look like that is going to happen though.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If English doesn't play then it's likely we won't have anyone from the 2016 draft playing either with Lipinski, Lewis Young and Greene just not quite on the radar. I've got high hope for Lipinski along with English though.
    I'm not sure if that is a sign of strength or an unbalanced list or that we haven't quite developed the players as we would have hoped for but you would expect a couple of them to be right in the selection process.
    I think all Lipinski, Greene and English are all in the mix. Young is just too untidy by foot/prone to TO.

Maybe they are a little behind where we would like but all of them seem to be talented...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned in the VFL thread that Cavarro didn’t play, so might be a late call up to the AFL side(?)
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

7. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ground is a picture today and despite a bit of breeze conditions should be excellent

Post Thanks / Like

We’ve now got almost blue skies and minimal wind here in Ballarat. Looking forward to the main show!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I mentioned in the VFL thread that Cavarro didn’t play, so might be a late call up to the AFL side(?)
    I wonder if that might be as an extra player or if he is replacing someone.? We will know soon enough

Post Thanks / Like

Players out running some drills but no Cavarro after all ��

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re; English. We're evidently so desperate to concoct a forward mix that works in some fashion or another, that despite his unsuitability he's going to get a crack along with everyone else.

I'm assuming we'll otherwise use him as a big wingman this year who'll just happen to take taps.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yes...but pre season training and football games are not the same thing.

English is NOT a forward. He doesn’t really have a history of kicking bags of goals...he is a ruckman and he needs to play in the ruck. But at this point, Trengove is bigger, stronger and more effective in a contest.
    I'm going by our pre-season reports that have had him training forward as much (if not moreso) than in the ruck.
    Bevo is allergic to ruckmen that only ruck apparently.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton starting forward.

Don't go changing Bevo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Why are we playing Naughton forward?

Makes no sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why are we playing Naughton forward?

Makes no sense.
    Fear we're going to get a lot of mileage out of that question during the course of the year, just with different player names appended to it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Kicking seems like it's an issue...…….surprise surprise.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.