Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  44
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 JLT Series - Match 2 Western Bulldogs v St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why was Dunkley used as the outlet option when kicking out from the goal square? He should never have the ball inside defensive 50, it's almost a guaranteed loss of possession.
    Not on his own but he’s been poor so far.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Still have some grave concerns about our overall ability to execute basic skills and also spread from the contest. We are both slow and poor by foot - doesn’t bode well for keeping the ball or trying to get it back.

Dunkley is one of the worst I’ve ever seen - he’s got a lot of good attributes but he kills us with his foot skills and it’s really compounded when we have others missing targets. I also never want to see our midfield full of Dunkley, Wallis, Macrae, Libba and Hunter - they’re all slow and as soon as the ball escaoes to the outside we are torched. Bailey Williams really needs to be one of our main mids and I like that he actually carries the ball. Not many of our players do this outside of JJ.

For me, Cordy and Woodnare really shaky. If I were coach, Wood wouldn’t be playing. I watched him closely and his positioning was bloody horrific. He was a liability with the ball too. He’s nowhere near the player he was.

Hayes isn’t up to the standard and Inwosh we had other options other than Trengove. Disappointed with the likes of Schache and Gowers who need to do a lot more.

Positives were Naughton (gun), Libba and Lloyd for his footy smarts and skill. English showed a bit late which was encouraging. Other than that, I saw much of what we have for two years - bad positioning, caught out on turnover, too slow on the spread and poor skills

3. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the 3Q was positive, except that we wasted a few chances. Which is par for the course.

Other than that, we're on a hiding to nothing. In for a long year. If it's going to be a year wasted, the less rational part of me wants to spill tne coaching group and fast forward to the bit where we get an engaged and upbeat group playing to and rallying around a clear type of footy stitched together by the senior coach up for the challenge.

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    How’s it going in Vietnam jeemak? I’m guessing you have an AFL international pass to watch the games.
    Not bad thanks Easty,setting in well.

I still have a roaming Australian sim so can get the Foxtel app.....I gave the Telstra and AFL package the flick, didn’t think either deserved my cash...
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there has been a few questions answered in the lead up to round 1 and also raised some questions

Hayes - despite being in the system at the club for a few years he hasn't quite got the skill level or decision making ye. Perhaps later in the year
    Lloyd - we didn't give up much to acquire him but he looks like being a solid selection. He's not a match winner but he can add to the forward line.
    Morris - I had my doubts but his form has been good enough. He hasn't shown any indication he's not good enough
    Smith - He's certainly worth of the early selection but he needs to be eased into the season.
    Williams - Trains with the midfielders, plays as a defender. He's locked for round one
    Suckling - Based on the 2 JLT outings he is either a shadow of of his 2018 efforts or he is being played out of position. I suspect it's more likely the latter
    Liberatore - He's back and it's a very good version of Liberatore.
    Gowers - I had high hopes for him this season but perhaps that shoulder injury has slowed him a bit.
    Duryea - It looks good adding a premiership player but given we are going to ply him in an already choc full defensive group it's hard to find a spot for him

Skills - Like other years it was apparently a focus during the preseason and like previous years it's hard to see that it's been time well spent just yet
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

On skills, our issue is executing them under pressure. Got to get better at this or we won’t play finals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On skills, our issue is executing them under pressure. Got to get better at this or we won’t play finals
    We won't get anywhere near the 8 based on efforts so far.

Post Thanks / Like

But that is what focusing on skills is all about. Executing well under pressure and when Bevo first arriving it was about getting players to kick better with their opposite foot and this year apparently the focus was again on improving our overall skills.
    I know it's a small sample size so far but I'm not sure we have made any improvements.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at yesterday's game it does leave some question marks as to our structure. Firstly we seem to be reliant on a 2nd year 19 year old kid being our swingman. This is a big ask as he is still a developing backman. I hope that the coaching team don't expect too much from Naughton. No doubt he is an exceptional talent but let him develop as a backman. Noting that we are bereft of any decent talls up forward (with the exception of Shache).

One thing I did take heart from yesterday was the delivery into the forward line in the 3rd quarter. There seemed to be a more deliberate approach to lowering the eyes and kicking to a lead. This, to me, seems like the approach that we need to adopt, however requires a lot more space than just kicking to a pack. I like the addition of Sam Lloyd in this area (play of the day was the boot lace pass from Smith to Lloyd). We do need a fit and firing Dickson to complement Lloyd. I also believe Bont will play a big role in our forward line this year.

13. Likes GVGjr, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    One thing I did take heart from yesterday was the delivery into the forward line in the 3rd quarter.
    This seemed to be a significant focus ALL DAY...a lot of 'over-kicking' early on though, trying to hit the 'perfect' kick. Kicks to forwards don't have to be perfect...all they need is a chance.

I dont really have any issue with our entries for most of the game yesterday - but if you are going to go in 'DEEP' (as we did a lot last week and had to on occasion yesterday - and every team has to do) there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1/. The 'come back to the 9' rule really opens the field up for the opposition if they receive a mark or free kick (which is going to happen when the ball is kicked in high to an outnumbered forward group)...

2/. You had better be switched on behind the ball and make sure there is a structure in place to win the ball back...getting done 'over the top' as the Saints did to us a few times is uncool.

Again, I was encouraged by the game - there was a LOT of experimentation going on. I am a bit surprised at the negative vibes re- Naughton going forward...he did a bit of it last year (when I admit, I didn't really like it) which clearly has him ready to go, jumped at the ball well and kicked a few goals...I would have thought having a 19yo key forward look dangerous is what most people would call a 'GOOD THING'. The roles of Duryea, Suckers, Gowers, Richards etc are still all being worked through. Gowers is clearly being asked to modify his game significantly from what he did last year (started mostly in the cage) to now - high half forward, runner, etc. That isn't easy (and he is battling with it). Richards is trying to play high which is probably good for him long term but he just doesn't look ready to play the role...so clearly still experimenting with line-ups...

I don't know. Saints had a season from hell last year and one thing they have that we don't is experience in their young key position players...they have a positive midfield group and I thought we did well to combat them. The side has copped a fair bit of criticism but has lost 2-games by a combined total of 3-goals and been pretty up and about in terms of effort and commitment around the contest. The handball game clearly seems to be 'back' although the players couldn't quite get the 'when to kick' balance right yesterday...but that will come.

Libber looks good. Williams looks good. Lloyd looks good...so there are 3x big ins from the back end of last year when we were winning games...Positive thoughts.

Looking forward to playing Sydney.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the positivity mjp, but if the Dogs were a stock, I’d be shorting.

While we’re working out the roles of Naugton, Gowers, Suckling, Richards, English, Williams, Daniels et...other teams with more settled line ups will beat us.
    Last edited by comrade; 11-03-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache missed some easy shots yesterday and could have had at least 4 goals. From what I saw he played pretty well, so I think he is a positive from the hitout.

Again I am not too fussed about the two practise matches, I think we did do alot of experimenting, but come round 1 we need to settle players in their right position.

The biggest unknown is will we play Trengove, English, Schache in our 22 - I think we should.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you treat yesterday as a training run, then there were signs of improved midfield/forward connections. There were positives in early signs of Smith. Lloyd was handy. Noughton looks very versatile.

Caleb Daniel said in an interview they were treating this “seriously. It’s as big as round 1”. Which clearly isn’t the case.... but....

If it’s a training drill, I got some positivity from it hope those are built on as the line up settles in the season.
    If it was a full tilt round one rehearsal, we’re in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache missed some easy shots yesterday and could have had at least 4 goals. From what I saw he played pretty well, so I think he is a positive from the hitout.

Again I am not too fussed about the two practise matches, I think we did do alot of experimenting, but come round 1 we need to settle players in their right position.

The biggest unknown is will we play Trengove, English, Schache in our 22 - I think we should.
    When we had only one active ruckman in the game and they were off, we opted to not even contest the ruck and just let the opposition have a free run at it. I think Trengove & English both have to play, and leave Schache forward 100% of the game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    When we had only one active ruckman in the game and they were off, we opted to not even contest the ruck and just let the opposition have a free run at it. I think Trengove & English both have to play, and leave Schache forward 100% of the game.
    It was weird wasn't it. I just don't see how this is going to work but you could very well be right.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.