Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 JLT Series - Match 2 Western Bulldogs v St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I'm fascinated to see how the forward line functions with Gowers, Lloyd, Schache, Wallis and Bontempelli. If we can get this right it should cause opposition teams some problems.
    It looks like a reasonable mix on paper.

Gowers and Wallis are solid medium options who can mark the ball. They need to be at their best defensively once the ball hits the ground and hope their teammates up the field help out with setting up quickly which reduces the impact of their lack of toe.

Schache and Bont is a strong 1-2 tall combo.

Lloyd I need to see more of, but he compliments that mix well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fascinated to see how the forward line functions with Gowers, Lloyd, Schache, Wallis and Bontempelli. If we can get this right it should cause opposition teams some problems.
    I'm less fascinated and more terrified. On paper, that is a pretty average forward line up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm less fascinated and more terrified. On paper, that is a pretty average forward line up.
    I agree. Will hardly have defensive units losing sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I think Gowers, Wallis, Schache and Bontempelli can keep the scoreboard ticking over and I'm hopeful Lloyd, McLean and Dunkley can help in that area as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gowers, Wallis, Schache and Bontempelli can keep the scoreboard ticking over and I'm hopeful Lloyd, McLean and Dunkley can help in that area as well.
    the delivery into the forward line is our issue. These guys can kick goals but if we just bomb the ball I the air then it is way too difficult to kick goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    the delivery into the forward line is our issue. These guys can kick goals but if we just bomb the ball I the air then it is way too difficult to kick goals.
    Gowers and Bont are pretty iffy on the whole kicking them aspect. They can certainly kick plenty of points.

Post Thanks / Like

Also heading along tomorrow, so hopefully it's a good positive day!

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We get it up there enough times we just need to be more efficient up there which we certainly are not. Need marking targets Schache and Gowers come to mind. If we get it up to Schache a lot we know he is a good kick.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

They're all good for a goal a game minimum, IMO.

Schache I believe is a good enough kick, that with the right supply he could be good for a few bags of 5 across the season. Bont and Gowers too, maybe even bigger bags if they took their chances more consistently.

In fact each of those guys has a decent nose for goal, if not quite the big bag of tricks the exciting forwards in history have had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Richards is reasonably quick isn't he?
    Absolutely. Jong is too but has been used inside because of his inconsistency by foot.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    So...what do you propose instead?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So...what do you propose instead?
    I'll bite - play and develop forwards with forward instinct?

We seem to have a couple on our list that have shown they can do it at AFL level - Gowers and Dickson are two, and Greene has shown he can do it in a small sample size.

I also don't see what Hayes brings that other players on our list don't - kudos on getting onto a list and he has shown he can find the ball in JLT, his ball use was terrible though.
    I like what I hear about Lachie Young but he's a rebounding defender, it's one area we are absolutely stacked with especially now Daniel is playing back there.

If Caverra hasn't shown enough, fine, but Dickson last week is talking about the best pre-season he's had in years and he can't even get a JLT game for the side with one of the worst F50 conversion rates in the comp?

Wallis starts midfield last week as the player in the competition with perhaps the biggest clearance differential to his name when starting in the centre square (2018 figures) yet was our third most able forward last year when he played there. Schache doesn't get a game last week despite being our only proper KPF on the list?

We talk a good soundbite about wanting to fix our forwardline issues but thus far it still seems like an afterthought.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mofra - with respect to Dickson it might be felt that putting him through a slow build is the way to go, so as to not waste all of the good work to date in a mostly full preseason. Given his age and the issues he's had with his body, perhaps a conservative approach is being taken (something Chris Bell would have been advocating for, no doubt!!)?

I've got no problem with him being able to impact games of footy and positively impacting our forward system when he returns, my concerns surround him staying on the park!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a view that our fwd line delivery is terrible. The flipside is that we have a fwd line choc full of mids who don't know how to lead/play fwd thereby giving our mids SFA to kick to.

Schache, Dickson and Fergus seem our most natural fwds. Wonder why 2 of them aren't playing?

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    There is a view that our fwd line delivery is terrible. The flipside is that we have a fwd line choc full of mids who don't know how to lead/play fwd thereby giving our mids SFA to kick to.

Schache, Dickson and Fergus seem our most natural fwds. Wonder why 2 of them aren't playing?
    Picken & Hunter will lead as well, as did Redpath who has obviously moved on
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff