Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Chairman wants twilight Grand Final

AFL COMMISSION Chairman Richard Goyder has declared he wants to give a twilight Grand Final "a go".

Ahead of next week's season-launch commission meetings, at which the Grand Final start time would be discussed and a decision announced on Thursday, Goyder expressed his belief that a later start would make for a better spectacle.

The latest start to a Grand Final has been 3pm (in 1999 when North Melbourne defeated Carlton), and in recent times it has been locked in at 2.30pm, but Goyder enthused that a twilight clash would enable the League to stage a half-time entertainment extravaganza.

"Then you could really put on a real show," Goyder told News Corp.

"While we're all traditionalists, a twilight Grand Final with the right entertainment would be amazing.

"We asked the club captains last year and the majority of them said they'd love a twilight Grand Final.

"Everything has to line up — you have to take the fans with you and there has to be good reason to do it.

"But, at the right time and for the right reasons, I think we should give it a go."

The Qantas chairman and former Wesfarmers chief executive said that staging the Grand Final at twilight rather than at night would better suit families with children.

"I don't think twilight would be an issue for the kids. They are some of the things we take into account *!because of all the great experiences people have had taking their kids. They remember that," Goyder said.

Channel Seven and Foxtel, who hold the TV rights until 2022, back a change to a later start.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will deliver his recommendation to the commission, but his position remains unclear. However, he believes that a later start time is "inevitable" at some stage.

"Our broadcasters are important but this is a decision for supporters," McLachlan said on Monday.

"The question is: could it be better by moving it a couple of hours? Twilight is an incredible slot.

"On the other hand, the tradition and history is so important. It won't be a money thing."

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Chairman wants twilight Grand Final

Is it about the entertainment or is about the football?

Is about the money or is it about tradition?

Why do we have to copy the Americans we will never get super bowl status around the world so why not keep our game unique.

The entertainment has been ordinary for a while now with Meatloaf the bottom of the barrel and to be honest I could give two hoots about pre game shows or half time.

When they talk about spectacle it can't be about football because twilight games introduce dew and slippery conditions unless they change the balls with a dimple surface for better grip.

I just wish they would leave the game alone.

3. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Our broadcasters are important but this is a decision for supporters" McLachlan said on Monday.

Uhuh.

The cultural fabric of the game's a mere plaything for these hubristic pr!cks as they continue to leverage whatever they please for the sake of not mere 'spectacle' but spectacle in aid of more folding green stuff.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what is wrong with the current day game. I agree with HD60, the pregame and after game entertainment is not necessary, fans just want to see their team play football.

After our win in 2016, all I wanted to do after the game is go home and watch the replay. When I knocked on the door, my wife was shocked to see me home so early. I know fans want to go out and celebrate, but if you start having the game later and later, it becomes difficult for the kids, for late dinners etc.

Believe me, the AFL is killing the goose that laid the golden egg with all their ridiculous ideas - AFLX, rule changes, Thursday, Monday games, late starts, Sunday twilight's and now messing with the GF.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A timely reminder this is the AFEL's idea of a "real show"

I for one, cannot wait for their version of a "half time entertainment extravaganza".
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Likes bornadog, jeemak, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That says it all, the AFL is a circus..

Run by clowns.

I think I was just offensive to clowns....

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again.

When the fans are beating down the door of AFL House demanding a night/twilight Grand Final, then fine, go for it. But nobody wants it, do they? Can't we keep just a couple of the elements that make our game unique?

Sacrifice the game for the half-time entertainment. Yep, that's logical.

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike Gill and his tin-eared mates, Titus knows how to read a room.

BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    but Goyder enthused that a twilight clash would enable the League to stage a half-time entertainment extravaganza.

"Then you could really put on a real show," Goyder told News Corp.
    Yes that's the priority for the AFL grand final. The quality of the half time entertainment. It should always impact heavily on any decisions they make.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are hellbent on changing the starting time then why not Saturday night? What makes the twilight game a better spectacle?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff Kennet has come out firing calling the commission all sorts of names

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They realise that people who watch AFL think that AFL is "a real show" right?

Can I have $1.2m to do this job please? I'll even do it for half of that
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see what the issue is.

People are too busy these days with work and family commitments to wipe out pretty much an entire day for the Grand Final. In fact the only Grand Final I haven't been rushed for was 2016 because everyone I cared about or would ask me to a Grand Final Party knew that I would be there from midday onwards.

Let's face it, the weather is either windy or rainy, or beautiful. There's no humidity so slippery footballs aren't an issue because of that. It's all about TV ratings, and nothing to do with the quality of half time entertainment which is the biggest bullshit reason a low competence chairman could have come up with (FFS, where the *!*!*!*! do they find these people and how do they get gifted so much *!*!*!*!ing cash given the stupid shit they say?).

So sure, move it to twilight for commercial reasons, just *!*!*!*!ing tell us how it actually benefits us or our clubs you *!*!*!*!ing wankers.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If they are hellbent on changing the starting time then why not Saturday night? What makes the twilight game a better spectacle?
    Night grand final would mean late finish and then celebrations not starting till after 11pm.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the idea. There's tradition for tradition's sake but I think the arguments to shift the time by a couple of hours stacks up.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers