Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo calls on AFL to reinstate runners before round one

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Players should be able to follow instructions and know what to do anyway. They're supposed to be pros. As much as I can't stand the current AFL leaders I have no issue with keeping these seagulls off the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Players should be able to follow instructions and know what to do anyway. They're supposed to be pros. As much as I can't stand the current AFL leaders I have no issue with keeping these seagulls off the ground.
    If that is the case why have runners at all?

There are 18 players on the ground and 4 on the bench which is difficult to control. When was the last time a runner actually effected any one of us watching a game?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why have them? Help with interchange. Go on ask player to sub next chance, get off the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If that is the case why have runners at all?

There are 18 players on the ground and 4 on the bench which is difficult to control. When was the last time a runner actually effected any one of us watching a game?
    The last real match played - the GF.

7. Thanks mjp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time the AFL admit they made a mistake. After sitting next to the interchange bench yesterday and saw many players frustrated they couldn't get on the ground, I think it is time to re-en state them.

For the life of me, I don't know why they changed the rule, and don't tell me it is because they were on the ground too long - that can be stopped.

Post Thanks / Like

Time the AFL admit they made a mistake. After sitting next to the interchange bench yesterday and saw many players frustrated they couldn't get on the ground, I think it is time to re-en state them.

For the life of me, I don't know why they changed the rule, and don't tell me it is because they were on the ground too long - that can be stopped.
    I genuinely don't see the problem If players making multiple hundreds of thousands if dollars cant sort themselves out to come on and off the ground between them then perhaps they should find themselves a proper job. You know, the sort the rest of us have where we have to make decisions and take responsibility for them.

The senior players should be taking the responsibility. The AFL do plenty of stupid, pigheaded things but this is an issue that should be easily fixed bu player groups.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying that is solely because of not having runners on the ground? I have seen that happening in recent years as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are you saying that is solely because of not having runners on the ground? I have seen that happening in recent years as well
    I watched the players on the bench yelling and screaming to players on the field, but is was evident they couldn't hear. If we had the runner they could quickly go out and get the message across.

eg. Dunkley and Wallis were standing there for more than 5 minutes and couldn't get on.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the players on the bench yelling and screaming to players on the field, but is was evident they couldn't hear. If we had the runner they could quickly go out and get the message across.

eg. Dunkley and Wallis were standing there for more than 5 minutes and couldn't get on.
    You also noticed Macrae shaking off a request to come off, how does a runner change that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You also noticed Macrae shaking off a request to come off, how does a runner change that?
    I guess if the runner is relaying the message form the coach, they may act differently.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if the runner is relaying the message form the coach, they may act differently.
    Or they might just steer clear of the runner when they know what the message is. The runner runs to one side of the ground and the player just runs to the other side. It's a simple way to not get the message and TBH i'd prefer the method we have now without 50, 000 people on the ground clogging up play.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

But he may not, these are professional athletes who should be able to make the decision if they should stay on the ground.

Players coming onto the ground are acting as runners because they are often issuing instructions on how the match-ups should be.
    I've noticed 2 ex Hawks doing it most of the season in Duryea and Suckling when they have been available and of course leaders like Wood, Wallis, Crozier, Dunkley and Bontempelli etc are also delivering messages.

And while I'm at it, last year I've seen players ready to come back on for 3 or 4 minutes and more but they can't because the ball is on the other side of the ground. A runner won't change that

I don't think it's as bad as some seem to think. I can however, see why it would frustrate a coach but the challenge for them now is that they need to prepare and educate the players better.

I know not many people like change but I think the 6 6 6 rule is working and I'm happy enough to give this one with the runners a season to play out.