Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo calls on AFL to reinstate runners before round one

More Bullshit from the AFL - what the hell is wrong with the way it was. How did restricting the runner enhance the game?

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has thrown down the gauntlet to the AFL to listen to the players and reinstate the access to runners in 2019.

The AFL this year changed the rules around runners to ensure they could only enter the field of play after a goal had been scored.
    Following the AFL reiterated its stance that there was no intention of changing rules before the season starts.

When asked of Beveridge's comments post-game, Saints coach Alan Richardson joined the chorus of support.
    "I don't know why we got rid of the runners, personally," Richardson said.

"We do, as coaches, get the opportunity to voice our opinion in the right forum with the AFL, (Steve) Hocking and those guys. I just don't get it. I reckon that'd be a good thing (to bring them back).

"We used signs late in the game, so we've got the signs all ready to go in terms of what we want to do strategically.
    "That takes a long time for the players to get used to that, to look over at the bench."

As revealed by AFL.com.au, clubs have started returning AFL-issued LED communication boards back to the League which are estimated to have cost the competition more than $50,000.

Feedback provided by clubs suggested that the boards, used by a number of clubs during week one of the JLT Community Series were "impractical."

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo calls on AFL to reinstate runners before round one

Tend to agree . Why ?

Post Thanks / Like

This is the problem when a governing body creates multiple task forces, committees and commissions.

They feel they have to justify their enormously bloated pay cheques by making changes for change sake.

The AFL Rules of the Game Committee - Making Changes to the Game to justify their existence.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a governing body for Aussie Rules. The AFL is a league and is part of Aussie rules but think they own the game

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah - I'm 1000000% with the AFL on this one.

It's a game for players, not a game for coaches. Teach 'em during the week, coach 'em during the breaks...or chat to them on the phone when they rotate (which is every 4.6 seconds).

Get the runners, water carriers, physios and every other person who isn't a player OFF the ground.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes Topdog, divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Nah - I'm 1000000% with the AFL on this one.

It's a game for players, not a game for coaches. Teach 'em during the week, coach 'em during the breaks...or chat to them on the phone when they rotate (which is every 4.6 seconds).

Get the runners, water carriers, physios and every other person who isn't a player OFF the ground.
    While I tend to agree that we have had too many extra's on the field surely the runners do help get the message to the players?

I guess when players like Duryea and Crozier return to the field they can help re-organise the backline
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

You’d imagine younger teams will be impacted more than experienced ones.

I’ve got no issue either way.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I tend to agree that we have had too many extra's on the field surely the runners do help get the message to the players?

I guess when players like Duryea and Crozier return to the field they can help re-organise the backline
    100%. The players are at the club 30 hours per week...teach them then.

The continuous use of runners for 'instructions' is a blight on the game...get them OFF the field...

Post Thanks / Like

100%. The players are at the club 30 hours per week...teach them then.

The continuous use of runners for 'instructions' is a blight on the game...get them OFF the field...
    why is it a blight? Runners have been part of the game for as long as i can remember and I can’t understand why it is an issue and we have to change things.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    why is it a blight? Runners have been part of the game for as long as i can remember and I can’t understand why it is an issue and we have to change things.
    I went to some Footscray games last season and there were runner on the field for 3 and 4 minutes stretches and I think it's gone beyond getting a water bottle or an instruction to a player or two. There is a chance it's become more than that and while it might be something we have done for a long time before I think the coaches are using it for vastly more than what it was designed for.
    If it needs to be managed better then why not clear the field more?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I went to some Footscray games last season and there were runner on the field for 3 and 4 minutes stretches and I think it's gone beyond getting a water bottle or an instruction to a player or two. There is a chance it's become more than that and while it might be something we have done for a long time before I think the coaches are using it for vastly more than what it was designed for.
    If it needs to be managed better then why not clear the field more?
    There are rules in place now and they should be enforced. Why change it drastically?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There are rules in place now and they should be enforced. Why change it drastically?
    Because there is no one to enforce them.

You could argue (and some did) that games were influenced last year by the continuous on-ground presence of one runner in particular. What can anyone actually DO about it? Tell the umpires to...well, do WHAT exactly? Tell them to leave the field of play? Well, that's what happens...then they come straight back on and do it again.

Players are not idiots...TEACH them...or get them off and COACH them.

In the talent pathway, we have 2x runners on the field at a time (which of course = FOUR) and I am really (really, really) unsure how all this extra instruction helps the game.

The game should be about PLAYERS doing what players do...not coaches turning everything into some kind of stoppages chess game.

Post Thanks / Like

The LED board is indicative of AFL silliness. Knowing the cost, and health and safety issues, wouldn't you do a proper analysis?
    I actually enjoy trying to figure out which former player the runner is...
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The LED board is indicative of AFL silliness. Knowing the cost, and health and safety issues, wouldn't you do a proper analysis?
    I actually enjoy trying to figure out which former player the runner is...
    St Kilda ditched it for a giant coloured red board for red time.

We use a dice system. Sometimes simpler is better.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Because there is no one to enforce them.

You could argue (and some did) that games were influenced last year by the continuous on-ground presence of one runner in particular. What can anyone actually DO about it? Tell the umpires to...well, do WHAT exactly? Tell them to leave the field of play? Well, that's what happens...then they come straight back on and do it again.

Players are not idiots...TEACH them...or get them off and COACH them.

In the talent pathway, we have 2x runners on the field at a time (which of course = FOUR) and I am really (really, really) unsure how all this extra instruction helps the game.

The game should be about PLAYERS doing what players do...not coaches turning everything into some kind of stoppages chess game.
    You Make some good points, but I don’t see what was wrong with the current system