LINK
Lachie Hunter will be a Western Bulldog for life with the premiership star locked in at Whitten Oval until the end of 2024.

Hunter, 24, told the Herald Sun it was “clearly ideal” to negotiate his contract extension before Round 1 amid optimism the Bulldogs can play finals this year.

“To get it done before the season was what I wanted because that’s the last thing you want going in,” Hunter said.

“As a player you don’t want that hanging over your head.”
Hunter will slip into list manager Sam Power’s office to sign the paperwork this week after verbally agreeing on a five-year deal.

Hunter is just the eighth AFL player contracted in 2024, joining Dylan Shiel, Andrew Gaff, Dustin Martin and Toby Greene.
Richmond’s Tom Lynch is the only player with a deal for 2025.

Hunter is also in rare air at the Bulldogs. While more than 1000 players have pulled on the jumper, he is one of just 12 to win both a premiership and best-and-fairest for the club.

“I definitely didn’t know that,” he said.

“It’s something that’s pretty cool. I’m sure once I’m finished I’ll look back and be pretty proud of that.”
Hunter has blossomed into a vocal leader and captained the club twice last season.

The nifty left-footer produced almost identical numbers to All-Australian Gaff last year and expects the AFL’s rule changes to play into his hands.
“It seems like there is going to be midfielders and wingmen getting bigger numbers, just because of there’s more space, particularly at centre bounces,” Hunter said.

“The more open the game is the better suited it is to me, so I’m definitely not complaining.”
Hunter is the Dogs’ most durable player, helping him earn long-term security.

He has played 79 out of the past 80 games, with the only miss occurring because of suspension last year.
“That’s actually the only game I’ve missed in seven years so far, so hopefully that can keep going,” Hunter said.

The Dogs lost pre-season games against Gold Coast and St Kilda and Hunter said they needed to sharpen up their foot skills.
“It was a little bit disappointing. You’re trying to refine things and try different things, but you’re definitely still going hard to win,” Hunter said.